Vegas can be quite a bit better in their first year than we seem to think

axecrew

Feb 6, 2007
Nothing against Vegas, it’s incredible what they are doing right now but am I the only one who think it’s not fair for other franchise that went through the expansion and didn’t have the same chance that Vegas got because they paid for it? Like CLB,MIN,ATL,NAS that had really bad lineup and no upside of having 3 1st + young guns with potential like Tuch,Theodore,Karlsson?

I agree with you 100%...it's not fair...in fact I think LIFE should be just like what you said...I think you should be making exactly what people were making 20 years ago per hour. It's not fair that people today are making so much more than those people of 20 years ago.
Yes, You're the only one...

Tom Polakis

Next expansion
Nov 24, 2008
Tempe, AZ
Only 64 posts ever, and that was one of them. And hasn't been seen since last October.

eh1qPK4.jpg

nnynetpotato

Sep 9, 2008
They came through,the opening night,and I said nothing,
They came through Christmas,and I said nothing,
They came through the season,and I said nothing,
They came through L.A. and I lol'd.
They came through San Jose,and was like lolwut.
They came through Winnipeg....

I don't know what to say.I 'm scared,hold me.

-Lord Stanley if this happened in 1894.

clunk

Dec 10, 2015
I'm gonna..
Not really an 'epic thread'. A lot of his predictions are very off and the only reason this guy's getting recognition is because he said Vegas 'can be quite a bit better'.

Show me somebody who said Vegas will 'be good enough to be a cup contender' in their first year and i'll actually be impressed.

Reactions: Faterson

Goose

Apr 18, 2006
He predicts 110 points and they had 109.

Rosters may be different but the available projected value was there, it can just be shuffled a million different ways.

I mean I really think they could have played like a bottom five team with that roster and nobody would be surprised, I think their success is a perfect storm, but still, credit is due here.

clunk

Dec 10, 2015
I'm gonna..
He predicts 110 points and they had 109.

Rosters may be different but the available projected value was there, it can just be shuffled a million different ways.

I mean I really think they could have played like a bottom five team with that roster and nobody would be surprised, I think their success is a perfect storm, but still, credit is due here.
"So, OwnThePuck's model predicts that Vegas can be a 110+ point team. Obviously, that's way too much to expect out of Vegas."

Mav3rick07

Jul 28, 2007
"So, OwnThePuck's model predicts that Vegas can be a 110+ point team. Obviously, that's way too much to expect out of Vegas."

Still, the fact that he even mentioned 110 points when Vegas finished with 109 is impressive .

You'll never find anyone who predicted Vegas would be in the Cup Finals, but those who told us they'd be better than we think deserve some recognition; Such as the original poster of this thread.

Reactions: HanSolo

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Just thought I'd leave this here with all the talk about Vegas being gifted an elite team
There were better threads to bump for hypocrisy evidence but fun to read through all the same. Granted, being one point off their actual finish is pretty damn cool. Even if it's a very different eventual roster.

Vegas isn't going to be as good as the model predicts, and it's for the very reason I love hockey so much: teamwork. You're taking 30 people who, for the most part, will never have played a game with each other. Most teams have an established core of players who are the backbone of the team, and are very familiar with how their team's system works, as well as with the strengths and weakness of each of their teammates. In October, teams may be about 60-70% "old hat" players who are used to each other, and 20-30% fresh players, either from the AHL or other teams...and because most teams start this way, it's even.

And while international teams are made of players who may not know each other as well...that's true for every international team. It's a level playing field. Vegas won't be on a level field with other teams in terms of synergy.

Vegas will invariably involve a bit of chaos, particularly at the start....but I think it will linger longer than for other teams. Instead of having 20 people who've read the map and 10 people who have to follow along until they get the hang of it, you'll have 30 people trying to figure out what the hell's going on.

That's not to say Vegas won't have some good players...I've seen a few surprisingly good Vegas team drafts today. Better than I thought it would be. And they may not be a complete dookiestorm. But if I'm judging Vegas, I'm grading on a very lenient curve.

This line in particular was quite amusing though. A big part of Vegas' success is their strength of teamwork. Ironic.

Last edited:
Reactions: teravaineSAROS

Jesus Take the Wheel

Jul 9, 2015
Edmonton
Cool, a thread getting bumped a year ago by some guy that actually thought Vegas had a shot at Manson or Vat. I mean cool he was kind of right, but for all the wrong reasons though

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad