Vegas / Anaheim voided Dadonov trade (upd: Ottawa forfeits 1st 24-26)

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
I know, but they should be able to. It seems like the inmates are running the asylum.

Everything the league does has to be collective bargain'd with the NHLPA and what you suggest will never ever get approved by the NHLPA.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City

From 32 Thoughts
One thing I wish I would have been more clear about last weekend: the NHL will not initiate any sanctions against Ottawa for the Evgenii Dadonov trade snafu. However, there is a mechanism in the NHL bylaws where one organization has the opportunity to air valid grievances against another with relief granted, if deemed appropriate. It’s up to Vegas.

Have to wonder if they'll take things as they are or stir things up.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City

Owner:

“We did everything by the book and frankly we were misinformed by Ottawa with regard to the trade list,” Foley said. “We proceeded under that assumption trying to free up cap space, and I never wanted to do that trade. I didn’t like it, but I went along with it.

Have to wonder if they might take action over that.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus

Owner:

Have to wonder if they might take action over that.
They would have to prove they were given the wrong list and that they were not given the actual. Kipper went into detail how little Vegas did to find out who was on that list

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City

NHL expected to announce penalty to Senators for not disclosing no-trade list to Vegas when they acquired player.

Guessing it won't be too severe as there's a new owner.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017

NHL expected to announce penalty to Senators for not disclosing no-trade list to Vegas when they acquired player.

Guessing it won't be too severe as there's a new owner.

I don't know. NHL, hit AZ hard with their scouting/draft scandal with draft picks a first and second and a $250K fine. Hit NJ with a drop of 16 spots in the NHL draft in 2014 (reversed original decision to forfeit the 1st rounder entirely) for pushing the NHL back diving contracts, along with a 3rd and $3 mill fine.

Chicago with Beach, a $2 mill fine, no draft pick loss.

AZ just got their new owner at the time, so I wouldn't say it's a slam dunk that the NHL takes it easy on them.

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road
I don't think the punishment would be as harsh for this situation, as it seems there was mismanagement of the trade from almost all parties involved.

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
I don't know. NHL, hit AZ hard with their scouting/draft scandal with draft picks a first and second and a $250K fine. Hit NJ with a drop of 16 spots in the NHL draft in 2014 (reversed original decision to forfeit the 1st rounder entirely) for pushing the NHL back diving contracts, along with a 3rd and $3 mill fine.

Chicago with Beach, a $2 mill fine, no draft pick loss.

AZ just got their new owner at the time, so I wouldn't say it's a slam dunk that the NHL takes it easy on them.
The scouting incident with AZ was intentional on the part of its GM. So went the harsh punishment.

It’s going to be up to whether or not the league feels this trade was intentionally done or if it was a mistake in interpretation of the the no-trade agreement.

Reactions: Tom ServoMST3K

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
It’s going to be up to whether or not the league feels this trade was intentionally done or if it was a mistake in interpretation of the the no-trade agagreement.

We're looking at the VGK acquisition of the player from Ottawa.

I think what you're trying to say was a mistake/omission made by Ottawa in reporting there was no trade list submitted (when there was) or was it intentionally stated there was none.

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
We're looking at the VGK acquisition of the player from Ottawa.

I think what you're trying to say was a mistake/omission made by Ottawa in reporting there was no trade list submitted (when there was) or was it intentionally stated there was none.

Doesn’t matter which way the trade went.

It’s a matter of what the league thinks if there were any rules deliberately broken by either team.

Squiffy

Victims, rn't we all
Oct 21, 2006
Toronto
Doesn’t matter which way the trade went.

It’s a matter of what the league thinks if there were any rules deliberately broken by either team.
I mean intent matters for sure, but it still can't happen. Doesn't there need to be something to signal to teams that it's unacceptable? VGK straight up asked about the no-trade, and were given incorrect information. Does VGK make that trade anyways knowing there's a no-trade clause in effect? Probably? But ultimately the trade was made under false pretenses, deliberate or not, and it can't happen, and there's got to be a consequence.

I mean for my money it can be something relatively minor, but there's got to be something for the sake of precedent. "Honest mistake" can't be an okay answer for a hypothetical next team dealing a NTC and misinforming the acquiring team. You could say it every time.

Reactions: TheLegend

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Even if it was accidental, Ottawa should still have some culpability here for not doing their proper diligence to confirm whether the NTC was actually void that season. Then providing false information to the NHL and Vegas regarding the state of Dadonov's NTC.

Reactions: TheLegend

Negan4Coach

Fantastic and Stochastic
Aug 31, 2017
Raleigh, NC
I hope the Sens owner goes apeshit on the league in a press conference that would make Torterella 's interactions with the NY Post seem sane and stable.

The bizarre, Byzantine rules in the CBA have to be simplified and streamlined.

Yukon Joe

Aug 3, 2011
YWG -> YXY -> YEG

That's potentially a quite serious allegation if Andlauer wants to pursue it. It's all going to depend on the language of the Purchase and Sale Agreement, but generally there's a duty to disclose anything that would materially affect the sale price.

That being said in a billion dollar acquisition one first round draft pick and one player suspended 41 games might not really move the needle, and as the new guy on the scene Andlauer might not want to rock the boat.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
That's potentially a quite serious allegation if Andlauer wants to pursue it. It's all going to depend on the language of the Purchase and Sale Agreement, but generally there's a duty to disclose anything that would materially affect the sale price.

That being said in a billion dollar acquisition one first round draft pick and one player suspended 41 games might not really move the needle, and as the new guy on the scene Andlauer might not want to rock the boat.

Wouldn't that disclosure duty belong to Melnyk's estate rather than the NHL?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad