Vegas / Anaheim voided Dadonov trade (upd: Ottawa forfeits 1st 24-26)

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City

VGK made the trade to free up cap space.

Dadonov and a conditional 2nd round pick in 2024 for Ryan Kesler (LTIR contract) and John Moore (AHL).

Dadonov is apparetnly disputing trade as Anaheim was on his no-trade list. The story related on the VGK radio during that game was that he had not submitted a no trade list when with Ottawa (before being traded to Vegas). No no-trade list is on file with league.

Hmmmm

:popcorn:

Reactions: GirardSpinorama

jetsv2

Jan 13, 2013
I would expect the NHLPA to be heavily involved in solving this mess. There is a lot at stake for them and protecting a player's contractual rights as it pertains to a NTC.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City

Paywall.

(Neither of the two players Vegas acquired are healthy enough to play, so it's not like they played Monday's game with invalid players. But cap hit is a bug thing as two players on IR/LTIR are almost ready to return to the lineup )

FTR, I can only think that Anaheim might be on a no trade list due to California income tax.

MNNumbers

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 17, 2011
This is a really bad look for the league for several reasons:

1- Are we so incompetent that we can't even keep track of players' contracts? I don't think it really matters if Ottawa didn't pass along the NTC list when he was traded before. Every GM knows that a bunch of players have NMCs and NTCs. It should be standard procedure to be checking these things often. Very bad look for Vegas.

2- Is the league also so incompetent? That trade goes through the usual call to league offices. Everyone there should be checking on the NMCs and NTCs as well. Why didn't they stop the news immediately?

3- The only reason for the trade in the first place is that Vegas is using the LTIR provision so they can ice a team with a salary value higher than the cap in the playoffs. That's 3 times that has been done now, and it needs to stop. There needs to be a provision placed which says something like "Except for minor league call ups, the roster for a playoff team which is dressed for each playoff game must not have a cumulative cap hit in the season just ended which exceeds the Salary Cap Limit."

Just bad. Like usual for the NHL.

MNNumbers

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 17, 2011
The big question here becomes "if this trade is nullified, what options does VGK have to remain cap compliant?"

And......that would serve them right, and ti would have served Tampa right, too, because what they are doing is a subtle cap circumvention for the sake of the playoffs.

The answer is:

"We're sorry. It's not our fault that you tried to trade a player who you didn't have the right to trade for the sake of your cap. It's your problem, not ours. You will have to waive someone, or option someone to the AHL, or something else like that."

In the measure that the league made a mistake, their mistake would not have affected anything, because they should have just nullified the trade during the call, and by that time, the deadline was past. So, the mistake here is on Vegas, and they will have to fix it themselves, no matter how difficult.

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
I dont get why the no trade list he gave to Ottawa matters anyways, wouldnt it no longer be valid as soon as he is traded from Ottawa? Makes sense to assume you'd have to submit a new no trade list to your new team.

jetsv2

Jan 13, 2013
I dont get why the no trade list he gave to Ottawa matters anyways, wouldnt it no longer be valid as soon as he is traded from Ottawa? Makes sense to assume you'd have to submit a new no trade list to your new team.
No, the nhl changed the rules around NTC a couple years ago when they signed the new CBA. NTC are no longer voided when a player is traded, and the player in this case was only contractually obligated to submit his list once a year before July 1st. He submitted his list on time so he had no contractual obligation to submit a new list when he was traded.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City

I believe they are cap compliant (post TDL call ups notwithstanding). However, they would have to do something to activate Stone and/or Martinez.

I can imagine VGK could sue Ottawa over this.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
No, the nhl changed the rules around NTC a couple years ago when they signed the new CBA. NTC are no longer voided when a player is traded, and the player in this case was only contractually obligated to submit his list once a year before July 1st. He submitted his list on time so he had no contractual obligation to submit a new list when he was traded.
And before if you had a ntc or mntc if you waived it almost always the player makes the demand from the acquiring team to honour the ntc or mntc moving forward otherwise they will not waive their trade protection. To get the player the acquiring team agrees to honour the trade protection moving forward.

But I agree that this is a horrible look for the nhl.

Everything regarding contracts should be stored with the nhl central registry. Any updates to no trade lists should be sent to the nhl registry. Any waiving of a ntc should also be stored with the nhl registry. Seems brush league for the billion dollar nhl business to have a dispute like this.

Yukon Joe

Aug 3, 2011
YWG -> YXY -> YEG
Good luck proving hearsay.
What does this have to do with hearsay?

Vegas: "Ottawa never told us about Dadonov's no-trade list" isn't hearsay Hearsay is when it goes through a third party.

That being said I'd be astonished if there wasn't a forced dispute resolution mechanism in league by-laws that forbid teams suing each other.

Reactions: Mordoch

Yukon Joe

Aug 3, 2011
YWG -> YXY -> YEG
So, in terms of potential fault:

Dadonov - seems to be in the clear - he filed his list as he was supposed to.
Ottawa - maybe they didn't tell Vegas about his no-trade list
Vegas - either traded Dadonov despite knowing about the NTC, or were never told. But still - the fact he had a NTC is common knowledge!
NHL - should have rejected the trade immediately.

Boris Zubov

No relation to Sergei, Joe
May 6, 2016
Back on the east coast
What does this have to do with hearsay?

Vegas: "Ottawa never told us about Dadonov's no-trade list" isn't hearsay Hearsay is when it goes through a third party.

That being said I'd be astonished if there wasn't a forced dispute resolution mechanism in league by-laws that forbid teams suing each other.

Ok, it might not be hearsay...it could turn into he said, she said.

Vegas, "Ottawa told us he didn't submit he NT list".
Ottawa, "No we didn't".

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com

Vegas - either traded Dadonov despite knowing about the NTC, or were never told. But still - the fact he had a NTC is common knowledge!

I mean, even if they "weren't told", it is their responsibility to look at the contract of the player they acquire AND ask Ottawa for the list before making the trade. Yes, Ottawa should have provided it, but Vegas are the dummies here.

I mean, geez, you can find out that he is a NTC by going to CapFriendly...

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
I mean, even if they "weren't told", it is their responsibility to look at the contract of the player they acquire AND ask Ottawa for the list before making the trade. Yes, Ottawa should have provided it, but Vegas are the dummies here.

I mean, geez, you can find out that he is a NTC by going to CapFriendly...
whether or not he has a NTC is irrelevant its whether everyone has the darn list. If vegas didn't have the list and the league didn't have the list but ottawa does thats on ottawa.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017

Or check the paperwork on their files to see if Anaheim is in his list. If they are not ask for the updated paperwork before authorizing the trade.

ponder719

Haute Couturier
Jul 2, 2013
Philadelphia, PA

Some very important people in very high places are going to need to call into question their competence. How in the world does the body tasked with determining whether or not submitted trades are compliant not have a central repository of NTC data, when that is such an obvious failure point for a trade? That is the dumbest thing I've heard from the league not directly associated with Chuck Fletcher in a long, long time.

Reactions: majormajor

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad