Prospect Info: Vasily Glotov (2016, 190th) – '18-19: Cincinnati #92 (ECHL) AHL SPC

Gabrielor

"Win with us or watch us win." - Rasmus Dahlin
Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
After reading that Russian/chl thread, I'd rather have heard that he was staying in Russia.

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY
That's fantastic news and a great piece of scouting by our Euro guys. Kid would have gone in the 3rd round if there was this kind of intel that he was going to come over immediately.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
After reading that Russian/chl thread, I'd rather have heard that he was staying in Russia.

Why would that be better?

If im undetstand the rules correctly..Since when we drafted him he was in europe we should still hold his rights till 1 june 2020.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
Why would that be better?

If im undetstand the rules correctly..Since when we drafted him he was in europe we should still hold his rights till 1 june 2020.

There's an increasingly common belief that coming over to the CHL is bad for the development of Russian players. It's hard to grep cause and effect in this situation, but it can't be disputed that most Russian CHLers have underwhelmed significantly at the next level relative to earlier expectations. Anyhow, Glotov's case is different from the norm as he's coming over for what is his draft+2 season whereas most Russian CHLers come over for their draft year or earlier.

Emerz

#1 PLD Fanboy
Jun 5, 2013
Nova Scotia
I'll drop by to provide updates about him for you sabres faithful about Glotov next season, selfishly hope Dubois is back as well so Glotov has some elite talent to play along side to really make them skills shine.

gallagt01

Jun 10, 2006
Sloan
Kid seems genuinely excited to be coming over. I wasn't expecting him in NA for a few years at least. Why did he fall so far?

Emerz

#1 PLD Fanboy
Jun 5, 2013
Nova Scotia
Kid seems genuinely excited to be coming over. I wasn't expecting him in NA for a few years at least. Why did he fall so far?

The import "draft" is more like a signing than a draft, players will tell other teams they don't plan on coming over so they don't waste a high pick on them, while telling the team they are willing to come over to pick them.

That's why teams like London, Halifax, etc always seem to have high profile europeans despite picking high in the draft (example being London drafting Janne Kuokkanen at 56th overall, but I'm sure he'll report)

Edit: nevermind ignore this, thought you meant fell in the import draft, but now I'm pretty sure you meant fell in the NHL draft, oops.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY

He was an overager, weighs 160 pounds, and plays in the MHL. Scouting/drafting out of the MHL seems like it's an extremely inexact science for NHL organizations.

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY
He was an overager, weighs 160 pounds, and plays in the MHL. Scouting/drafting out of the MHL seems like it's an extremely inexact science for NHL organizations.

To be fair, he's only overage by 11 days. He was born 13 days before Auston Matthews was. If he was taken last year he probably would have been the youngest player drafted.

flashsabre

Apr 5, 2003
Visit site
That is a hell of a talented 7th round pick. Love his enthusiasm about the Sabres and Cape Breton.

I have a feeling the names Nylander, Asplund, Pu, Glotov and calling my shot, Vesey, are going to be getting a lot of play on this message board during prospect camp.

cybresabre

prōject positivity
Feb 27, 2002
+
His twitter enthusiasm is great to see, alright. Almost too great. Who here had him down as a sleeper in May and started his page just to get our hopes up? Matt Martin, probably.

SoFFacet

Jan 4, 2010
Rochester, NY
That is a hell of a talented 7th round pick. Love his enthusiasm about the Sabres and Cape Breton.

I have a feeling the names Nylander, Asplund, Pu, Glotov and calling my shot, Vesey, are going to be getting a lot of play on this message board during prospect camp.

Agreed. With regard to the upcoming prospects poll, I have a pretty good feeling that I'm going to end up rating this guy higher than most of the class drafted in front of him. And being berated for it.

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
Agreed. With regard to the upcoming prospects poll, I have a pretty good feeling that I'm going to end up rating this guy higher than most of the class drafted in front of him. And being berated for it.

Is this because he is coming to NA?

Or because he's scored more goals than the other draftees since being drafted?

Is this "leadership by Twitter" that Healey is talking about?

Or is this due to the Devante effect?

(And you didn't think the berating would happen this early?)

CaseyMitts37

Mar 2, 2013
Buffalo
When it comes to boom/bust prospects, he has a greater amount of potential boom than guys like Hagel and Murray. That's what makes him so intriguing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad