Value of: Vasili Podkolzin

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
This makes no sense. It was precisely the apparent attitude when it came to Tyson Jost for the Avs. Then the Avs learned their lesson (from Jost) with Newhook.

If his career doesn’t develop into some kind of positive trajectory, his value continues to plummet. Waiting longer becomes more detrimental.

The thing is...realistically speaking, his value has already plummeted. Some fans may still see him having some "value" because of name recognition...but guaranteed NHL front offices have seen his struggles to establish himself and his value as a winger prospect who can't make the cut, has already pretty much tanked out.

That's critical moment of choice was a while ago for a guy like Podkolzin. At this point, there's really nothing to do but wait and hope he finds a way to make an impact and become some semblance of the player he was originally projected to be. At which point...maybe his value recovers a bit, the way Newhook's value solidified itself once he proved he was at least a middle-6 NHLer.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Would Iorio for him work?

This is definitely along the lines of what the Canucks would probably love to get for Podkolzin at this point. But i'm not sure Washington does this?

Also tricky in that it'd put a ton of pressure on the Iorio. Because Podz still carries that top pick clout, in addition to bringing in a "hometown" RHD at a time when that is so desperately needed on the big club.

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
The thing is...realistically speaking, his value has already plummeted. Some fans may still see him having some "value" because of name recognition...but guaranteed NHL front offices have seen his struggles to establish himself and his value as a winger prospect who can't make the cut, has already pretty much tanked out.

That's critical moment of choice was a while ago for a guy like Podkolzin. At this point, there's really nothing to do but wait and hope he finds a way to make an impact and become some semblance of the player he was originally projected to be. At which point...maybe his value recovers a bit, the way Newhook's value solidified itself once he proved he was at least a middle-6 NHLer.

You’re running out of runway.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
You’re running out of runway.

Yeah. Podkolzin really only has this year left to find something, or he becomes a "change of scenery" sort of "reclamation project" for someone for cheap. But i really doubt his value is much higher than that for other teams at this point anyway. So they're stuck in it. Might as well at least try it and see if he can get it together...before dishing him off for basically nothing. :dunno:

Snatcher Demko

High-End Intangibles
Oct 8, 2006
He's playing like he's lost confidence right now. He also has a newborn (just turned 22) so maybe he's in the wrong headspace. He'll be given a chance to work through it in the AHL and a full year under Colliton wouldn't hurt. He's been very 'meh' at camp but looked quite promising in his first year.

Reactions: HairyKneel

Raistlin

Aug 25, 2006
It's on him if his headspace is not right at training camp really, he has the pedigree and the physical tools, if it's insufficient IQ, then the only way to reclaim his stock is to play him a ton at Abbotsford. Let's hope they got the memo. Lack of HIQ coming from your HC is quite damning.

OKR

Nov 18, 2015
This makes no sense. It was precisely the apparent attitude when it came to Tyson Jost for the Avs. Then the Avs learned their lesson (from Jost) with Newhook.

If his career doesn’t develop into some kind of positive trajectory, his value continues to plummet. Waiting longer becomes more detrimental.
What makes no sense is trading him just for sake of trading him. No team is gonna give anything of value for him at this moment. The chance of him bouncing back is much more valuable than giving him away for practially nothing.

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
Most young wingers who “bust”, do so becaue they have trouble creating space in the NHL. It’s the one league in the world, where it doesn’t matter how skilled you are in other leagues, if you can’t find space, or create space, you got no chance.

That’s not his issue. He actually does that really well. Some say his shot?? Nope. We’ve seen his shot for extended periods of time.. some say it’s his release?? This has been a concern BUT we’ve also seen him go through times, where his release was quick enough..

Sometimes it just comes down to “Compete Level.” He doesn’t compete every single shift, like you have to at the NHL level. Doesn’t mean he’s a bum or lazy, but you have to have that killer instinct to play in the NHL. Much more than any other league, because the guy you’re lined up against has it.

It’s probably time to move on, and I only say that because he’s gone through a couple of coaches now. Different types of coaches too. So they’ve all had this conversation with him. The crap part is, maybe the Canucks giving up on him, is what ultimately lights a fire under him. We’re probably gonna find out.

Honestly, I think it’s time to cut bait. Don’t just give him away, but try finding a deal where you get a player who can help, or call a team like Detroit or Anaheim, who have an abundance of young D prospects, they won’t be able to keep every one of... I’m not sure Detroit would do it, but maybe Podkolzin for Albert Johansson. He’s stuck behind a couple of really good LHD prospects now.

It’s time to get proactive in moving him, before he’s not worth much at all. And maybe we’re already there. Maybe they have already tried. In that case you just hope until his contract runs out..

Reactions: Bear of Bad News

TS Quint

GET THESE ADS OUT OF MY WAY!
Sep 8, 2012
“He checks all the boxes and hard work, what a great kid,” said Tocchet. “It’s grasping the NHL, like the reads and the hockey IQ — things like that. I think it’s very important for development. I think him spending time with Jeremy [Colliton], playing a lot. Putting him in these situations, a lot of situations is going to help that growth in his mind, that’s what I really believe in. And the organization, we’re all aligned in this.”

Tocchet expanded on Podkolzin.

“It’s like chess,” said Tocchet when getting more into detail on Podkolzin’s development. “He’s got to have to think two steps before you make that play. I think he’s looking at that exact moment and [in] hockey, you’re going to have those reads like a few seconds before and I think playing him 10-12 minutes is not really beneficial and we have some guys that are a little bit, quite further ahead than him when it comes to the hockey IQ. So, I mean, listen, it’s part of development and doesn’t matter what’s happened the past year. I just feel, and Jim [Rutherford] and Patrik [Allvin], and the coaches that this is the best way for him to get his reads and his hockey IQ up to standard NHL level.”

It’s pretty hard to fix stupid. The Canucks are a good place for him. He’s not worth much but if he can figure a couple things out it’s not a big mountain to climb to get to the NHL on the Canucks.

• Haha
Reactions: GirardSpinorama

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
He's playing like he's lost confidence right now. He also has a newborn (just turned 22) so maybe he's in the wrong headspace. He'll be given a chance to work through it in the AHL and a full year under Colliton wouldn't hurt. He's been very 'meh' at camp but looked quite promising in his first year.
(pod talk aside) I would love to see a stat on players (known to have a baby) and their immediate season that follows. Wonder how many of them have down years.

Reactions: Chainshot

hawksrule

Lot of brains but no polish
May 18, 2014
What makes no sense is trading him just for sake of trading him. No team is gonna give anything of value for him at this moment. The chance of him bouncing back is much more valuable than giving him away for practially nothing.
The chance of him bouncing back is commensurate with what other teams would give for him. If they’d give practically nothing, then that’s also the odds of him turning into anything useful.

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018

Trading him for the sake of trading him is kind of a null sentence. Any trade occurs with the purpose of trading specific players.

They should trade him because change of scenery trades involving similarly struggling players have similar risk for both sides. What doesn’t make sense is for a GM to grind a player’s value into the dust because he’s afraid of losing a trade. There’s a lot of sunk cost fallacy going on in this discussion too.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
Wasn't he one of the main reasons for Kuzmenko to sign with the Canucks? If he was then he already turned out to be a good pick.

OKR

Nov 18, 2015
Trading him for the sake of trading him is kind of a null sentence. Any trade occurs with the purpose of trading specific players.

They should trade him because change of scenery trades involving similarly struggling players have similar risk for both sides. What doesn’t make sense is for a GM to grind a player’s value into the dust because he’s afraid of losing a trade. There’s a lot of sunk cost fallacy going on in this discussion too.
That’s assuming they find a trade partner who has a player they like and who is similar pedigree, similar age and struggling similary and are willing to trade him for your player. That’s a lot of if’s.

Just A Bit Outside

Playoffs??!
Mar 6, 2010
Tocchet’s long winded answer to say Pod is slow.

It’s unfortunate but I guess it explains why he wears a helmet.

IComeInPeace

Jun 16, 2009
LA
would Van City welcome a trade of Egor Afanasyev for Podkolzin
If we only look at last season, Pod outpaced Egor in the AHL.

Then we can add in that Pod has a 120 games of NHL experience and has already for brief periods shown he can be effective at the NHL level where Egor hasn’t shown that at all.

I think if one was being objective, while Pod may in fact be busting, he’s closer to being an everyday NHL player than Egor.

But, then on top of all that, the optics would make it a really difficult sell for GM Allvin to the Vancouver fans and media: a guy from the same draft, picked 35 spots lower, and has shown even less as a pro than Pod is what we have to show for the 10th overall pick.

Your idea may be correct, but I think it would have to be someone with a similar pedigree unless they’d showed more than Egor as a pro at this point.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
He's a prospect that has pretty much stagnated, Doesn't have the skill set to be either a top 6 or bottom 6 player at this time. Probably a reclamation for reclamation trade is the best case scenario
Pretty much this and I for one am extremely disappointed as I thought that he might become a very useful player.

His development wasn't the greatest and the Canucks soap opera probably didn't help.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad