Value of: Vasili Podkolzin

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
Noticed he was sent down to the AHL. Are the Canucks done with this kid? Seems like he's never been given a consistent role to develop in going back to his time in Russia.

pc_md

Jun 3, 2006
He is worth more for Canucks than other teams in the league imo, don’t see Canucks getting anything worth moving him for.

Well you don't know that.

Another team may value him more than the Canucks and the Canucks certainly have other needs than a winger prospect. A trade for a prospect defenceman would make a lot of sense.

Reactions: Neutrinos

Three On Zero

Deranged Oreo Dolphin Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
He's a prospect that has pretty much stagnated, Doesn't have the skill set to be either a top 6 or bottom 6 player at this time. Probably a reclamation for reclamation trade is the best case scenario

Reactions: tyhee

BluesyShoes

Unregistered User
Dec 11, 2010
Tocchet had these remarks after sending him down:

“He checks all the boxes and hard work, what a great kid,” said Tocchet. “It’s grasping the NHL, like the reads and the hockey IQ — things like that. I think it’s very important for development. I think him spending time with Jeremy [Colliton], playing a lot. Putting him in these situations, a lot of situations is going to help that growth in his mind, that’s what I really believe in. And the organization, we’re all aligned in this.”

Tocchet expanded on Podkolzin.

“It’s like chess,” said Tocchet when getting more into detail on Podkolzin’s development. “He’s got to have to think two steps before you make that play. I think he’s looking at that exact moment and [in] hockey, you’re going to have those reads like a few seconds before and I think playing him 10-12 minutes is not really beneficial and we have some guys that are a little bit, quite further ahead than him when it comes to the hockey IQ. So, I mean, listen, it’s part of development and doesn’t matter what’s happened the past year. I just feel, and Jim [Rutherford] and Patrik [Allvin], and the coaches that this is the best way for him to get his reads and his hockey IQ up to standard NHL level.”

via Canucks Army

summer tooth

Aug 10, 2020
Had moments where he really stood out - loved hearing the announcers say his name too.

Qwijibo

Dec 1, 2014
Showed very little in the preseason. Not a bust yet. But tbe time to be concerned isn't far off

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
He is worth more for Canucks than other teams in the league imo, don’t see Canucks getting anything worth moving him for.

This makes no sense. It was precisely the apparent attitude when it came to Tyson Jost for the Avs. Then the Avs learned their lesson (from Jost) with Newhook.

If his career doesn’t develop into some kind of positive trajectory, his value continues to plummet. Waiting longer becomes more detrimental.

Reactions: Sendhelplease

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Problem is, nobody is going to send the quality young C/D that the Canucks would want in return...because wingers struggling to establish themselves at the NHL level just aren't worth enough...even if they have really strong draft pedigree like Podkolzin.

They're probably just socked in, waiting out what he eventually becomes, if anything. He's not at that waivers-eligible do or die point...yet.

CherryToke

Oct 18, 2008
Coquitlam
Same thing we've heard since being drafted. Hard worker, coaches like him, teammates adore him.. but no production at any level. He must be one very likeable kid because his hockey skills don't warrant that level of respect.

Reactions: VanillaCoke

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad