Speculation: Vasili Podkolzin NHL arrival? (read OP)

when will Vasili Podkolzin be NHL ready?

• Total voters

Dion TheFluff

Jun 22, 2015
with NHL 21 out, I thought it would be fun/interesting to try and add some high caliber player that are not accessible in the game (KHL and NCAA).

I figured the best way to gage the overall of these players would be to ask the fans that (insert player) plays for.

will post results in the EA sport thread

Please answer honestly​

strattonius

Jul 4, 2011
Surrey, BC
He's a perfect fit in Vancouver. I dont think he'll start producing right away but he's going to be put in a role that allows solidnice time and opportunity to develop his game. I think this kid is a 2 way beast.

Reactions: Dion TheFluff

Diversification

Jun 21, 2019
With our cap crunch and his skill set, there will be a lot of incentives to work him into the lineup. Probably starts on the 4th line and ends the season as a 3rd line staple. No real shot at the Calder but a very useful piece and murmurings of him auditioning on Horvat’s and EP’s wing given our lack of cap space to sign a top6 winger FA.

My guess is that he tops out as a complementary top6 winger who absorbs tough defensive minutes with the game On the line along with PK1, PP2.

Reactions: Paradise Circus

Catamarca Livin

Jul 29, 2010
I understand we need cheap help but is Podz or Hoglander better than established nhl players who are willing to sign one year 1 m. contracts? I think he will be very good but there is little to indicate that he is good now. Why not sign short term depth like Leivo instead? Any contract under 1.05 million can be sent down. Podz rookie contract would be 900k. Not much of a savings. Let's take advantage of all his elc instead.

Reactions: I am toxic

Luck 6

\\_______
Oct 17, 2008
Vancouver
I have a feeling he’s going to step in and probably play up and down the line up. He’ll get mostly bottom 6 minutes but I’d bet he would find himself in the top 6 for stretches as well.

I’m going to guess he scores around 35 points in his rookie season.

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
I have a feeling he’s going to step in and probably play up and down the line up. He’ll get mostly bottom 6 minutes but I’d bet he would find himself in the top 6 for stretches as well.

I’m going to guess he scores around 35 points in his rookie season.

This. The moment the Pettersson or Horvat lines struggle, Pod will get to play with them.

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
I understand we need cheap help but is Podz or Hoglander better than established nhl players who are willing to sign one year 1 m. contracts? I think he will be very good but there is little to indicate that he is good now. Why not sign short term depth like Leivo instead? Any contract under 1.05 million can be sent down. Podz rookie contract would be 900k. Not much of a savings. Let's take advantage of all his elc instead.
Totally disagree. Get him over now, or he may never come over. We made a mistake with Tryamkin; lets treasure this kid. He and Hoglander are the only real forward prospects we have left, and we know how well signing UFA's has worked for Jimbo. Sure we can pick up waiver fodder for the bottom 6 and be okay, but we need some plans for top 6 replacements due to injuries and wear and tear.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
He's 'NHL ready' now....and available to sign with Canucks on April 30th, 2021. I swear if Jimbo blows this one, the lynch mobs will be out.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
he will "arrive"in a year, but he might not be impact ready. Similar to Kesler. He will start playing in the NHL, but he wasn't exactly impact ready, just go enough to play and develop in the NHL I think the same progression with Vasili.

Bougieman

Nov 12, 2008
Vancouver
How is "5+ years" even an option? That will take him 6 or 7 years from his draft to his debut. It's not like he's a defenceman.

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
By the way, I am sure that he will have an out clause to go back to Russia if they try to send him to the minors, so they either sign him and play him as soon as they can, or he is never playing for the Canucks. The KHL wanted to sign him to a 5 year extension.

Simply put, give him the best contract they can (ELC with bonuses) in April, and then play him, or we will never see him here.

geebaan

7th round busted
Oct 27, 2012
Do I think he’s NHL ready now? Yes

do I think there’s any chance he’ll be here in less than a year? No, hence my vote.

Reactions: LordBacon

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
So Podkolzin won’t practise? If that’s the case, trade him already. You seriously underrate the kids desire to play in the show. He isn’t a soft bitch like tryamkin

You completely misunderstood my comment. I was suggesting that the Canucks would "blow it" because they have a lot of practice at blowing it. Like they did with Tryamkin. And Tryamkin isn't soft. He was wise to go home, considering the situation with the Canucks at the time. I really hope we get him back.

PavelBure10

The Russian Rocket
Aug 25, 2009
Okanagan
Maybe his knack for scoring needs some work, but Podkolzin's grit, determination to chase pucks, his intensity, and forechecking is NHL ready. He'd fit on the Canucks 3rd line nicely right now

Last edited:
Reactions: Luckylarry

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
He's continuing to struggle to produce in the KHL and is likely headed for Utica in 21-22. Hopefully can stick as a bottom-6 guy in Vancouver in 22-23.
Not a chance. As i said above. He will have an out clause like Tryamkin did, and go back to Russia if they try to send him to Utica. Why ride the bus for $70K a year when I am sure he will get way more than that in Russia, without the problem of trying to fit in.

Reactions: Raistlin1022

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
Right now he looks like Tyler Motte but with potential to grow into JT Miller level impact. I say the first time he comes over he sticks on the roster. That could be as early as mid 20/21.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
OP, your question isn't very clear. By "NHL ready" do you mean the ability to play in the NHL as a 4th line player? I think Pods is NHL ready in terms of playing in an NHL lineup in 1 year. I think he's 2 years away (as in the 2022-2023 season) in terms of being solidly better than replacement level player. I don't think he's NHL ready right now, and next season even if he makes the Canucks, I don't see him as a top 6 contributor. As I mentioned on other threads, I think the timeline for talented Russian forwards tend to be a year or two behind their North American counterparts in terms of making an impact in the NHL. In terms of properly developing Pods, it might be better to give him some extra seasoning. Gurianov, for example, was in his draft + 5 season last season and he really came into his own this past season. I do think Denisenko, Kravtsov, and Pods should have a quicker development path though but it's not the end of the world if Pods take some more time than original projections.

Aqualung

Nov 16, 2007
He’s not blowing KHL out of the water and is struggling to crack the top 6 at that level. Don’t think he’d be anything more than a 4th liner at best right now, and maybe in a couple years he maybe a regular staple on the third line. I think he has a similar career to Armia.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad