News Article: Varlamov supposedly to be protected in the Expansion Draft

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
If all my life's decisions were as easy as choosing who to protect out of Semyon Varlamov or Calvin Pickard I would be a very happy man.

No brainer.

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers
Pickard had all the chances an aspiring goalie could ask for this season. He made choosing Varly an easy decision.

AvsFan2123

Jan 21, 2014
Illinois

I'm really hoping his surgery makes him play like he's truly capable of. Holtby would have looked average here so you can't blame that. I still think he's a top 15 #1 goalie. I agree with exposing Pickard, he's not a #1 (yet, although I do think he has potential to some day). There's other options that'll be out there that'll seem more appealing and we'll most likely have both back next year.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I'm really hoping his surgery makes him play like he's truly capable of. Holtby would have looked average here so you can't blame that. I still think he's a top 15 #1 goalie. I agree with exposing Pickard, he's not a #1 (yet, although I do think he has potential to some day). There's other options that'll be out there that'll seem more appealing and we'll most likely have both back next year.

Yep... I couldn't see either being taken.

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
Pickard had all the chances an aspiring goalie could ask for this season. He made choosing Varly an easy decision.

Pickard is in his first season as a starter, he played admirably well for a decent stretch and plays behind a team that's beyond horrible. Let's not write him of just yet.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
I'm curious how BSN always "learns" news without confirming how or why. I mean a name doesn't have to be listed or anything but any other media group in the NHL will say things such as "GM Ken Holland confirmed" or "I chatted with a member of the St. Louis Blues organization".

BSN always just "learns" things though. Very impressive learning ability.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Yeah BSN has terrible wording. I have very little reason to doubt this, but they could put it out there in a different manner to make themselves sound more official.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Yeah BSN has terrible wording. I have very little reason to doubt this, but they could put it out there in a different manner to make themselves sound more official.

I don't doubt that Varlamov is the one who they will protect. As I said, it's a no brainer. I doubt what BSN has "learned" though. Two days after the season ended and the Avalanche have made their final decisions on protection lists? No conversations with other teams about potential trades and things like that? A team like Calgary could circle back around and kick tires on Varly in case the Avs want to move him and retain some salary for a very little return. There's no chance the Avs have made any final decisions on stuff like this. Anything can change and they aren't going to make it public knowledge that they are choosing one player over the other this early. It can damage the minds of players involved when there's a possibility (a very very slim one mind you) that it may not even be the final decision. I mean Pickard isn't even done for the year. He's playing for Canada in the worlds. His performance can change a lot both internally and in what other teams see.

BSN may have heard they like Varlamov more than Pickard or if they had to choose right now that they would take Varly over Pickard but as per usual, they likely jumped the gun on this article.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
It didn't really matter who they chose, both guys will be here next year.

Hopefully Varly fully recovers and can get back into form. I have my doubts but maybe it really was this particular injury that has caused the decline in his play in each of the last three seasons.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
It didn't really matter who they chose, both guys will be here next year.

Hopefully Varly fully recovers and can get back into form. I have my doubts but maybe it really was this particular injury that has caused the decline in his play in each of the last three seasons.

I think that's definitely going to be the case.

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
I don't see why they wouldn't, I don't see why Pickard would be taken and I don't see why people have given up on a 24 year old after one season as an NHL starter who was playing on the worst NHL team there's been for two decades.

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
If this is true, its probably the best thing I've heard in a long time.

This isn't a slight to Pickard, Varly is just straight up the better goalie. Pickard had his chance this season to show management that he could handle a big workload and be "the guy" but he just couldn't run with the opportunity. Every time he'd string 3-4 good games in a row, he'd come back with 5 stinkers. Not to mention the soft goals, plagued him hard this year. He was consistently giving up softies. At the end of the day a .904 SV%, a 2.98GAA and 2 shutouts was not good enough even on a bad team.

IMO Pickard will never become a true #1, he'll be a solid backup but that's about it.

Not to mention if you expose Varly there is basically a 100% chance he'd be selected, name a better option for Vegas. Fleury? Howard? maybe...but I'd probably take a 28 year old on a good contract over both of those guys. I'd say the likelihood of Vegas taking Pickard is less than 10% as there are better options available.

Great move by the Avs to protect Varly who despite being injured this year has quality #1 ability.

Alex Jones

BIG BOWL 'A CHILI!!
Jun 8, 2009
Conspiratron 9000
I don't see why they wouldn't, I don't see why Pickard would be taken and I don't see why people have given up on a 24 year old after one season as an NHL starter who was playing on the worst NHL team there's been for two decades.

He was part of the reason we were so bad. Dude let in bad goals every night

MonsterMack

He did the Mack, He did the monster Mack
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2013
Arvada, CO
I think Varly is the better goalie, but I doubt his numbers this year (if healthy) would have been much better than Pick's if at all

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver

I don't think people are giving up on him. I think reality is setting in, he looked good as a backup two years because he was being sheltered only appearing in 20 games.

We let him get 50+ games and he couldn't handle it, he was part of the reason we were so bad. I remember plenty of games that were tied or even leading in the 3rd where Pickard would just collapse and cough up the lead. Soft goals absolutely killed Pickard this year, it was getting to the point where I was expecting at least 1 bad goal against a game, and sometimes it'd be 2 or 3.

It's easy to get mentally prepared for 20-25 games, it's tough to bring the mental side to the game 50+ times a year.

I think at the end of the day Picks will be one of the best backups in the league, but not quite starter material, and there is nothing wrong with that. He reminds me a lot of Budaj. Can play well in spurts, but won't be a quality starter as he isn't consistent enough.

El Travo

Why are we still here? Just to suffer?
Aug 11, 2015
Pickard would let in a stinker or two every single game. Mix that with a team that has confidence issues and you got yourself a bad time.

I'd protect Varly 10/10 times before Pickard.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I don't doubt that Varlamov is the one who they will protect. As I said, it's a no brainer. I doubt what BSN has "learned" though. Two days after the season ended and the Avalanche have made their final decisions on protection lists? No conversations with other teams about potential trades and things like that? A team like Calgary could circle back around and kick tires on Varly in case the Avs want to move him and retain some salary for a very little return. There's no chance the Avs have made any final decisions on stuff like this. Anything can change and they aren't going to make it public knowledge that they are choosing one player over the other this early. It can damage the minds of players involved when there's a possibility (a very very slim one mind you) that it may not even be the final decision. I mean Pickard isn't even done for the year. He's playing for Canada in the worlds. His performance can change a lot both internally and in what other teams see.

BSN may have heard they like Varlamov more than Pickard or if they had to choose right now that they would take Varly over Pickard but as per usual, they likely jumped the gun on this article.

Don't really disagree, but their wording, if clarified, could shed light on this whole thing.

Calgary isn't interested in Varly anymore. They will probably move on from their tandem now, but Varly won't be in the conversation for their #1G spot.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Pickard is in his first season as a starter, he played admirably well for a decent stretch and plays behind a team that's beyond horrible. Let's not write him of just yet.

Agreed on that, but I also agree that protecting Varley is the right decision. Vegas could take him just to flip him for assets, he would be by far the most valuable piece we expose. Picks may yet be selected, but they can only take 3 goalies and there will almost certainly be goalies with better pedigrees to draft and play (or flip).

Picks needs a full season as a backup before we start to think about his future, IMO. Hopefully we can slow-roll him next year and see how things turn out.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad