News Article: Varlamov supposedly to be protected in the Expansion Draft

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Dater seems to feel it's possible so I acknowledge that but it does seem pretty unlikely to me they are going to buyout a guy who had the second highest TOI in the last game of the year who wears a letter as well. Maybe expansion is the kick in the butt Sakic needs and if he feels being able to go 7-3 with him gone is worth it but I'd still be pretty surprised.

I think at this point you have to be surprised when the organization does anything positive lol.

Sea Eagles

Feb 7, 2012
Jeez people are being pretty tough on Picks. Put this seasons Sergei Bobrovsky behind our team, you think results would be any different?

Both Varlamov & Pickard are much better goalies than people give either credit for.

We have possibly a bottom 10 in the league defense.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Jeez people are being pretty tough on Picks. Put this seasons Sergei Bobrovsky behind our team, you think results would be any different?

Both Varlamov & Pickard are much better goalies than people give either credit for.

hmm?

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan

Some of the goals both of them let in at times contributed to killing this teams confidence early in the season. From what I've seen in the GDT's people have been pretty fair in evaluating when the goalies should have made the stop or not.

No one gets a pass for this season, no one.

Sea Eagles

Feb 7, 2012
Some of the goals both of them let in at times contributed to killing this teams confidence early in the season. From what I've seen in the GDT's people have been pretty fair in evaluating when the goalies should have made the stop or not.

No one gets a pass for this season, no one.

Mate, I'm certainly no expert (far from it :laugh:) when it comes to explaining goal tending, but I was chatting to guy who has played the position for many, many years.

He said to me that Picks positionally is settling further & further back in his crease (especially compared to juniors), and he puts that down to confidence (or lack of). He suggested that Picks commits to individual play to compensate for an apparent lack of faith in his left / right D, meaning strong passing teams open him up, leading to what appears to be easy goals against.

Picks has all the tools I truly believe. People may call me a homer, but I think while our defense is maybe bottom 10 quality wise, out goal tending (I know I'll cop it for this) is top 10 as a tandem (IF both are fit and on the top of their games - we just need confidence).

But you are right of coarse. No-one should get a free pass. In my opinion, almost across the board (apart from Rantanen, Andrighetto, Zadorov, Compher, Jost), our players just had an unfortunate poor season - so I expect a huge bounce back season next.

I am going to be truly gutted when Vegas take any player. I know our boys are better than this. I expect us to be in the playoffs next season (just my opinion of coarse). I think Picks will get 30 odd games, and I bet BOTH our boys will have many more wins than losses or OTL's. I'm just really confident in their abilities.

Drij

Mar 5, 2007
This team will never win with varly, and no other team would want him. So protecting his is a total waste of space.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
If Picks gets taken, I wonder who we'll get as a back-up since Varly is made of glass.

Sea Eagles

Feb 7, 2012
This team will never win with varly, and no other team would want him. So protecting his is a total waste of space.

Be fair. We came 3rd overall, in the entire NHL almost solely on the BACK of Varly. I think that proves if he is switched on, confident & fighting fit, we most certainly CAN with with Varly.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Mate, I'm certainly no expert (far from it :laugh:) when it comes to explaining goal tending, but I was chatting to guy who has played the position for many, many years.

He said to me that Picks positionally is settling further & further back in his crease (especially compared to juniors), and he puts that down to confidence (or lack of). He suggested that Picks commits to individual play to compensate for an apparent lack of faith in his left / right D, meaning strong passing teams open him up, leading to what appears to be easy goals against.

Picks has all the tools I truly believe. People may call me a homer, but I think while our defense is maybe bottom 10 quality wise, out goal tending (I know I'll cop it for this) is top 10 as a tandem (IF both are fit and on the top of their games - we just need confidence).

But you are right of coarse. No-one should get a free pass. In my opinion, almost across the board (apart from Rantanen, Andrighetto, Zadorov, Compher, Jost), our players just had an unfortunate poor season - so I expect a huge bounce back season next.

I am going to be truly gutted when Vegas take any player. I know our boys are better than this. I expect us to be in the playoffs next season (just my opinion of coarse). I think Picks will get 30 odd games, and I bet BOTH our boys will have many more wins than losses or OTL's. I'm just really confident in their abilities.

It's possible, and I don't think anyone is giving up on him. On that note, I did ask AJ at BSN what he though of Alaire's involvement this year. He eluded to it being a concern for sure.

That's one thing that isn't discussed much, but will be very important this off-season.

Drij

Mar 5, 2007
Be fair. We came 3rd overall, in the entire NHL almost solely on the BACK of Varly. I think that proves if he is switched on, confident & fighting fit, we most certainly CAN with with Varly.

That was 2013... And varly is beyond damaged goods. Even with varly this team will be last place again next year.

Alex Jones

BIG BOWL 'A CHILI!!
Jun 8, 2009
Conspiratron 9000

Take away the zero and it's more accurate.

Sea Eagles

Feb 7, 2012
It's possible, and I don't think anyone is giving up on him. On that note, I did ask AJ at BSN what he though of Alaire's involvement this year. He eluded to it being a concern for sure.

That's one thing that isn't discussed much, but will be very important this off-season.

Really, really great point Cobra. It has irked me for quite some time that we have a part time goalie coach. I really wish we offered Jiggy a full time mentor role. That man was a born winner, and by jeez, he was a fantastic goalie.

I was ok to let that go while possibly the best ever (in my mind, he was) goalie was our head coach.

Also worries me, that of the goal tenders we have had recently / semi recently, all have gone on to bigger and better results.

X Craig Anderson was an absolute machine this season (credit to him, given the poor man's off ice life issues at the moment). Only 2 goalies in the entire NHL had a better save % than him. His GAA is 2.28.

X Peter Budaj got 7 shutouts this season. 2.18 GAA.

X Brian Elliott. Apart from his season with us, GAA of 3.83, and save% of .894, look at his stats since then. OutSTANDING.

This team of ours is a goalie's nightmare. I feel for them to be honest. Reto Berra wasn't great this season in Florida admittedly, but he's one of a kind hahaha.

Then, we throw Calvin Pickard, a developing goalie into this fire pot. I wouldn't have classed him as an elite rookie. He's a solid, gritty, fighting, great attitude, team first guy. Get him a proper goalie coach, and get him some defense - even the playing field, and I bet he'd be ok.

Sea Eagles

Feb 7, 2012
Take away the zero and it's more accurate.

No way our D-core roster is worse than this:

Hamhuis, Johns, Klingberg, Lindell, Nemeth, Oleksiak, Pateryn.

Makes me thank the hockey God's we have the defense we do in comparison.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad