Vanek will play 84 games this season. Does he get paid more?

sk84fun_dc

Nov 4, 2004
Actually semi-monthly - on the 15th and 30th.

It's based on the # of days on an NHL Roster - as of 5 PM EDT/EST.

If they are on an NHL Roster (or Injured Reserve) they get paid NHL salary for that day. If not, they earn their AHL one (assuming a two-way SPC).

I assume you know this KDB, but just to be clear, if they practiced with the NHL team or played in a day game that day the player gets paid for that day even if sent down before 5pm.

barneyg

Apr 22, 2007
Since then, many teams near the cap have repeated the practice. Some Sharks earned lots of frequent flyer miles being shuttled back and forth to Woostah.

IIRC, Demers was even sent back to Stockton in the ECHL a few times for the same reason, only Stockton was closer/cheaper.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
In theory a suspended repeat offender could lose an even large portion of his paycheck if shuttled to the AHL club during non-game days.

e.g. Player is suspended 10 games with repeater status, therefore loses 10/82 of his NHL salary = 12.2% of salary. However lets say the player is shuttled to AHL on non-game days (has to be on roster for suspended game to count), approx 2.26 days per game in the NHL, would thus lose another 12 days of salary or about 6.5% of salary.

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
So they earn 50-90k over those 3-3.5 weeks (roughly)... then go to juniors and earn 100-150 every 2 weeks. Rough.

I don't know if I could ever describe it as "rough" to be a teenager starting off the hockey season with 50-90 grand (plus signing bonus), regardless of what I was paid afterward to play hockey.

Flukeshot

Briere Activate!
Sponsor
Feb 19, 2004
Brampton, Ont
Gotta love the business board, interesting stuff related to the different rules applying to suspensions. Great example of a situation like Webers where he could lose money.

TieClark

Jun 14, 2011
Then how does it work for a player that is sent down and brought up from AHL. Does it literally go to how many days they're "up" to get NHL pay, regardless of if there are practices or games on those days?
I believe so yes... I know the Leafs have called up a few players in recent years just for a day even when there is no game so they can get a days pay in the NHL.

rkhum

Aug 3, 2011
Nope. Players only get paid salary starting in the regular season.

The only exception would be Signing Bonuses paid before the start of the season.

So when a player tries out, plays 5 pre season games or whatever amount, and is not on the final roster, he gets no compensation for his time and work?

Oleg Petrov

Jun 15, 2008
So when a player tries out, plays 5 pre season games or whatever amount, and is not on the final roster, he gets no compensation for his time and work?

True - But he gets a very good per Diem, almost $100 per day while there plus his accommodations and team meals.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
no, players a paid bi-weekly not by # of games

I think it's still broken up by number of games, but the games are lumped into bi-weekly payments, resulting in the sum being their total salary. I don't really know that for sure though. It just seems logical to do it that way.

kdb209

Jan 26, 2005
I think it's still broken up by number of games, but the games are lumped into bi-weekly payments, resulting in the sum being their total salary. I don't really know that for sure though. It just seems logical to do it that way.

No, As stated above, they are paid semi monthly, and if they are not on an NHL Roster(*) for the entire pay period, their salary is pro-rated by the number of days they are on the roster, not the number of games. If under a two-way SPC and loaned, they receive their minor league salary for those days not on an NHL Roster.

(*) Active Roster, Injured Reserve, Injured Non-Roster and Non-Roster

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
No, As stated above, they are paid semi monthly, and if they are not on an NHL Roster(*) for the entire pay period, their salary is pro-rated by the number of days they are on the roster, not the number of games. If under a two-way SPC and loaned, they receive their minor league salary for those days not on an NHL Roster.

(*) Active Roster, Injured Reserve, Injured Non-Roster and Non-Roster
Ah, thanks for clearing that up!

Bert Marshall days

Oct 31, 2006
Along similar lines, does anyone know how last season's cable tv revenue was distributed? For example, since there were only 48 games, was the revenue to teams pro-rated? Or did they get the regular season whole amount for last season?

Particularly interested in this for NY Islanders.

Lord Flacko*

How much would a guy making 4M a season's bi-weekly pay cheque be?

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
That's also why teams that are close to the cap sometimes make weird transactions like sending non-waiver eligible players to the AHL for a day, even though neither team has a game or practice scheduled.

The Hawks in 2010-11 had what we referred to here as 'The Rockford Shuttle'. Pretty much every 2 way player was sent down on non-gamedays to save space.

Just an additional note to that.... To reduce teams from screwing players outta their full salaries by pulling moves like the Rockford Shuttle, NHL/PA has implemented a rule that the player sent down has to actually physically make the trip to the farm team for the transaction to count - expenses paid of course.

IU Hawks fan

They call me IU
Dec 30, 2008
NW Burbs
Just an additional note to that.... To reduce teams from screwing players outta their full salaries by pulling moves like the Rockford Shuttle, NHL/PA has implemented a rule that the player sent down has to actually physically make the trip to the farm team for the transaction to count - expenses paid of course.

I'm well aware, that's why it was called the Rockford Shuttle. Because they'd hop on the bus, go there, then return.

kdb209

Jan 26, 2005
so how does the AHL demotion affect teams like Philly and Toronto which have AHL teams in the same city?

The Flyers AHL affiliate is now in Glen Falls, NY - the Adirondack Phantoms.

However, when the Flyers started the whole AHL shuttle thing back in '05, the Phantoms played right across the street in the old Spectrum. Back then, the League ruled that players sent down had to physically report to the affiliate, either at home or on the road - so yes, teams with local affiliates do have somewhat of an advantage.

With the Sharks and Woostah, there have been cases where with a single off day, they would shuttle multiple players - one player was sent down/in flight to Woostah at the same time another was being recalled/in flight back.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad