Vanek will play 84 games this season. Does he get paid more?

Kimi

Jun 24, 2004
Newcastle upon Tyne
A topic on the main board pointed out that Vanek will (potentially) play 2 extra games this season due to being traded to a team that has played less games. It's a mildly interesting thing that happens every now and then form trades, but this time I randomly started to wondering about his pay.

Do you get paid extra for the two extra games you play? It's basically overtime for what you'd be expected to do.

I assume you don't, but curiosity got the best of me this time so I have to ask. Would be a fun footnote to have in your cap accounting if you did mind. :)

Flukeshot

Briere Activate!
Sponsor
Feb 19, 2004
Brampton, Ont
I am pretty certain players are paid based on the calendar not the games played, with the exception of suspensions pay lost being calculated by game.

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
no, players a paid bi-weekly not by # of games

Then how does it work for a player that is sent down and brought up from AHL. Does it literally go to how many days they're "up" to get NHL pay, regardless of if there are practices or games on those days?

brec7

Nov 28, 2006
Sydney, NS
Somewhat related... this would likely never happen, but what if a player in this circumstance broke a major record? Would a 100 point season seem tainted if a player did it over 84 games?

kdb209

Jan 26, 2005
no, players a paid bi-weekly not by # of games

Actually semi-monthly - on the 15th and 30th.

Then how does it work for a player that is sent down and brought up from AHL. Does it literally go to how many days they're "up" to get NHL pay, regardless of if there are practices or games on those days?

It's based on the # of days on an NHL Roster - as of 5 PM EDT/EST.

If they are on an NHL Roster (or Injured Reserve) they get paid NHL salary for that day. If not, they earn their AHL one (assuming a two-way SPC).

Kevin Forbes

Jul 29, 2002
Nova Scotia
www.kforbesy.ca

It's based on the # of days on an NHL Roster - as of 5 PM EDT/EST.

If they are on an NHL Roster (or Injured Reserve) they get paid NHL salary for that day. If not, they earn their AHL one (assuming a two-way SPC).

That's right.
That's also why teams that are close to the cap sometimes make weird transactions like sending non-waiver eligible players to the AHL for a day, even though neither team has a game or practice scheduled.

IU Hawks fan

They call me IU
Dec 30, 2008
NW Burbs
That's right.
That's also why teams that are close to the cap sometimes make weird transactions like sending non-waiver eligible players to the AHL for a day, even though neither team has a game or practice scheduled.

The Hawks in 2010-11 had what we referred to here as 'The Rockford Shuttle'. Pretty much every 2 way player was sent down on non-gamedays to save space.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
A topic on the main board pointed out that Vanek will (potentially) play 2 extra games this season due to being traded to a team that has played less games. It's a mildly interesting thing that happens every now and then form trades, but this time I randomly started to wondering about his pay.

Do you get paid extra for the two extra games you play? It's basically overtime for what you'd be expected to do.

I assume you don't, but curiosity got the best of me this time so I have to ask. Would be a fun footnote to have in your cap accounting if you did mind. :)

players do not get paid per game--they get paid per year

Egoclapper

Dec 21, 2010
anther for you NHL salary and payroll fans, how does the 9 game deal work for rookies? if they play 9 games and sent down, do they get paid?

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
I am pretty certain players are paid based on the calendar not the games played, with the exception of suspensions pay lost being calculated by game.

Suspension $$s differ if calculated for repeat offender (daily annual salary) or non-repeat offender (per game basis).

anther for you NHL salary and payroll fans, how does the 9 game deal work for rookies? if they play 9 games and sent down, do they get paid?

They get the standard NHL salary for the days they are on NHL roster. Once returned to CHL team, they get only what they get for playing in CHL (a little pocket change).

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
They get the standard NHL salary for the days they are on NHL roster. Once returned to CHL team, they get only what they get for playing in CHL (a little pocket change).

So they earn 50-90k over those 3-3.5 weeks (roughly)... then go to juniors and earn 100-150 every 2 weeks. Rough.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
So they earn 50-90k over those 3-3.5 weeks (roughly)... then go to juniors and earn 100-150 every 2 weeks. Rough.

Don't leave out that most of the top prospects get 10% of their contract as a signing bonus. Which would be another $92.5k per year for recently drafted/signed players.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
Suspension $$s differ if calculated for repeat offender (daily annual salary) or non-repeat offender (per game basis).

An interesting note as well. Salary lost to suspension is based upon the Averaged Value of the contract, not on their actual salary.

This means that in strange cases a player could actually lose money over a season.

Lets take Shea Weber as an example. In the 2023-2024 season he will earn $1,000,000 however his caphit will still be $7,857,143.

Under first time offender status each game lost due to suspension would lose him roughly $40-43,000 (depends on the exact length of the season on the calendar, usually in the 180-190 day range). That would mean if he received a 25 game suspension his salary lost would be very close to his yearly income.

Repeat offender status would make things even more interesting. Under that status, each game suspended would cost him $95,818.82. That would mean that if he were a repeat offender and was suspended for 11 games during the season he would end up losing $54,007.02 during that season.

Would be quite interesting to see happen. Especially if it was in the last year of the deal. It would mean that retiring would end up being a better financial decision than sitting through a suspension.

It also can mean that a repeat offender who receives a full season suspension could still make money if his salary was higher than his cap hit.

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Yeah, the number of games a player plays doesn't matter in his salary. Vanek could be traded again and play even more games and still get the same salary for this season.

Buck Aki Berg

Done with this place
Sep 17, 2008
Ottawa, ON
Somewhat related... this would likely never happen, but what if a player in this circumstance broke a major record? Would a 100 point season seem tainted if a player did it over 84 games?

I would imagine that record books would denote the extra games. I think it would only be 'tainted' if the scoring record was broken by one or two points. If he was running away with it and the two games didn't makes a difference, nobody'd care.

danyhabsfan

Feb 12, 2007
Montreal
He will not play 84 games anyway.

Who was the last one the play more than 82 games?

edit:Winnik 84 games in 2011-2012 and Hodgson 83 games

Ruckus007

where to?
May 27, 2003
Huntington, WV

I would imagine that record books would denote the extra games. I think it would only be 'tainted' if the scoring record was broken by one or two points. If he was running away with it and the two games didn't makes a difference, nobody'd care.

The league was on an 84 game schedule in 92-93 and 93-94. I don't know if any records sustain from those years but maybe there's something for reference.

92-93 was the season Lemieux was on pace to beat Gretzky's 215 point season when he had his cancer diagnosis. Finished with 160 in 60, averages out to 224 over 84. Would have been interesting.

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
The Hawks in 2010-11 had what we referred to here as 'The Rockford Shuttle'. Pretty much every 2 way player was sent down on non-gamedays to save space.

Interesting...

So did they actually go somewhere? Or was it simply a filing of papers while the players in reality sat at home or whatever.

kdb209

Jan 26, 2005
That's right.

Interesting...

So did they actually go somewhere? Or was it simply a filing of papers while the players in reality sat at home or whatever.

Yes, by rule they had to be 'checked in' in Rockford before they could return.

Yup.

This practice was originated by Philadelphia in 2005, right after the lockout. The Flyers would send players to/from the AHL on a near daily basis in order to save cap space - of course it was pretty easy since the AHL Phantoms literally played across the street in the old Spectrum. Back then the League ruled that the assigned players had to physically report to the AHL team (at home or on the road) - that it could not just be a paper transaction.

Since then, many teams near the cap have repeated the practice. Some Sharks earned lots of frequent flyer miles being shuttled back and forth to Woostah.

rkhum

Aug 3, 2011
Similarly, what about players signed to try outs in the pre-season who are cut?
Do they, and prospects, get paid for pre season?

kdb209

Jan 26, 2005
Similarly, what about players signed to try outs in the pre-season who are cut?
Do they, and prospects, get paid for pre season?

Nope. Players only get paid salary starting in the regular season.

The only exception would be Signing Bonuses paid before the start of the season.

NHL CBA Exhibit 1 - Standard Players Contract said:
1. The Club hereby employs the Player as a skilled hockey Player for the term of
__________ League Year(s) commencing the later of July 1, 20 or upon execution of this
SPC and agrees, subject to the terms and conditions hereof, to pay the Player a salary of
___________ US Dollars ($__________).

Payment of such Paragraph 1 Salary shall be in consecutive semi-monthly installments on the
15th and 30th day of each month following the commencement of the NHL Regular Season or
following the dates of reporting, whichever is later (provided that the pay period shall not close
more than three (3) days prior to payroll dates); provided, however, that if the Player is not in the
employ of the Club for the whole period of the Club's NHL Regular Season Games, then he shall
receive only part of such Paragraph 1 Salary in the ratio of the number of days of actual
employment to the number of days of the NHL Regular Season.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad