Confirmed with Link: Vanek Traded to MTL for 2nd rounder and Sebastian Collberg

Status
Not open for further replies.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Just insane how little Wang cares about winning. Unfortunately until he breaks the rules the NHL is powerless.

Wang cares about how much money he's losing first, icing a competitive team second. Once the Lighthouse referendum failed, he basically threw up his hands and quit.

Charles Wang has been the equivalent of a slumlord. He does the bare minimum to put a team on the ice.

bronxirish

Oct 24, 2013
Someone help me out. How does it jive that Wang was willing to pay top dollar to retain Vanek but not a couple of bucks to secure a better deal trading him? The two scenarios seem completely contradictory.

islandermaniac

Feb 27, 2002
Someone help me out. How does it jive that Wang was willing to pay top dollar to retain Vanek but not a couple of bucks to secure a better deal trading him? The two scenarios seem completely contradictory.

they don't contradict at all, actually. wang was willing to pay vanek to play for the islanders. he was not willing to pay vanek to play for someone else.

before anyone says that he ate money on the regin and bouchard deals...he ate money there because he knew if he didn't that there would not be a sinlge team willing to take them. in essence, he was cutting his losses there. he knew that someone would take vanek's fully salary and he was right. what the franchise received in return for vanek is not of cosequence to charles wang.

mitchy22

Aug 19, 2002
Visit site

Wang will be forced to increase payroll for next season, but he isn't forced to increase payroll now. The team is on a shoestring budget, and it's really obvious. This is a team that brought in a goalie that never played for us solely for his cap hit not that long ago.

Some portion of what we gave up in assets to get Vanek was due to Buffalo retaining salary. We also, if the information being discussed is true, reduced the competition for Vanek's services by not being willing to take on salary in some way from cap tight teams.

Initially, I thought the results of the Vanek to Montreal trade were simply due to Snow overplaying his hand - the hand he said he would play (waiting until the last moment to trade Vanek.) I couldn't believe that was said to begin with. Since it appeared that more players were becoming available, it's pretty obvious that a deal needed to get done earlier instead of later. If salary exchanging hands was also a factor, I'm not surprised at all by the return we received.

We are the Mickey Mouse Club until we see this team increase payroll beyond the minimum. Right now, it seems like we're simply going to tread water until Brooklyn or a sale (or both.)

Don't spend a dime on this team directly. Get your tickets on StubHub. Don't even eat at the Coliseum. Hold off buying merchandise. Park outside the arena or at least in the cheaper parking area first. They deserve nothing special from any of us until they show that they give a crap about us. Feel free to go watch the young guys play, but don't go out of your way to spend any more than you have to.

Everyone buy something the day this team is sold.

:),
Mitch

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009

Maybe he doesn't mind paying the small sum for Bouchard (which I think is reduced because he is in the AHL) but a million for a player who isn't playing? While already paying for Yashin and DP!? Wang will have no such thing!

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010
Wang will be forced to increase payroll for next season, but he isn't forced to increase payroll now. The team is on a shoestring budget, and it's really obvious. This is a team that brought in a goalie that never played for us solely for his cap hit not that long ago.

Some portion of what we gave up in assets to get Vanek was due to Buffalo retaining salary. We also, if the information being discussed is true, reduced the competition for Vanek's services by not being willing to take on salary in some way from cap tight teams.

Initially, I thought the results of the Vanek to Montreal trade were simply due to Snow overplaying his hand - the hand he said he would play (waiting until the last moment to trade Vanek.) I couldn't believe that was said to begin with. Since it appeared that more players were becoming available, it's pretty obvious that a deal needed to get done earlier instead of later. If salary exchanging hands was also a factor, I'm not surprised at all by the return we received.

We are the Mickey Mouse Club until we see this team increase payroll beyond the minimum. Right now, it seems like we're simply going to tread water until Brooklyn or a sale (or both.)

Don't spend a dime on this team directly. Get your tickets on StubHub. Wait a year or two to buy merchandise. Everyone buy something the day this team is sold.

:),
Mitch

While I agree Mitch, I am unhappy about him taking the revenue sharing check while saving dough at the expense of improvement as in this case with the Vanek deal. I don't expect the revenue committee to do what they are supposed to do, but it sure would be nice if they did climb into Wang's accounting, publicly, and came down on him for taking their money while starving this club out of greed.

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
Incorrect about me not being truthful. As a matter of fact, I couldn't be telling the truth any more than I am. I wouldn't be selling my soul just to break into a business I enjoy. I guess I would call that integrity. Some have it and some don't. Maybe we can refer to some of those who don't as sell outs? And no drama here, son. Just calling a spade a spade. I already do what I enjoy doing with even more irons in the fire...and I did all of that without having to compromise who I am. Amazing, huh? It is clear to all that the isles gm cannot say that. This is why I sleep well at night haha! I could care less if he does or not :laugh:

I still don't get what this "selling your soul" drama is? Nobody is doing anything illegal here. I'm calling a spade a spade too, Drama Queen...

islandermaniac

Feb 27, 2002
I still don't get what this "selling your soul" drama is? Nobody is doing anything illegal here. I'm calling a spade a spade too, Drama Queen...

so if you don't like how i call it, it's drama? i think snow has sold out to make something of himself. it seems as though you are saying that's good for him. i say that i couldn't live that way. doesn't sound too dramatic to me. then again, your m.o. is to be aggressive and name call so i can't be surprised by your comments. it would seem to me that the way you come at people on this board that you are the one who craves the drama, toots :D

bigd

Jul 27, 2003
After watching the clip of McDavid I think we should tank next year too. The kid looks like the next Mario, sick skills!

Isles Junkie

Jul 4, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
Forfeit Pick @TStivali
Follow
The Devils got more from the league today than the Islanders got for Vanek

Can someone explain to me how to properly post a tweet here?

Isles Junkie

Jul 4, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
We won't have a pick next year.

we really should though. SnoWang should know by now whether or not they're going to do anything this summer. And let's face it, they're not. So we're probably going to be a lousy team again next year. With our luck we will have the #1 pick next season & if we don't let buffalo have this years pick, then the vanek saga will turn into one of the worst trades in sports history.

PricePkPatch*

Wang doesn't care
The way Wang sees it is that Garth saved him some money; because he doesn't have to pay Vanek's salary for the next two months.

You are an incredible judge of character :amazed:

(edit: just so be sure, this post was made 1h after the trade. He's actually the first one chronogically who actually called out Snow's motivation)

kasper11

Feb 27, 2002
New York
Visit site

A couple of reasons...

1) He has to spend to the floor next year.
2) Icing a somewhat competitive team next year could lead to more people in the arena both next year and the first year in Brooklyn, thus leading to additional revenue. There is no more money to be made while Vanek plays for another team.
3) Making the playoffs next year could lead to additional revenue. There is no more money to be made while Vanek plays for another team.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
Wang cares about how much money he's losing first, icing a competitive team second. Once the Lighthouse referendum failed, he basically threw up his hands and quit.

Charles Wang has been the equivalent of a slumlord. He does the bare minimum to put a team on the ice.
Does he not realise a winning team will create more money in the long run?

BTrotts19

May 17, 2013
LI, NY

For a guy who built a business, you would think he could understand that concept. Plus, last year in the playoffs, the Barn was packed, people were spending on concessions, merchandise etc. He needs to hire a hockey guy to make him understand.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC

Wang's pat answer is he will still lose money due to the revenue constraints of the Coliseum lease.

I'm in the camp that believes sometimes you have to spend money to make money. Wang seems only willing to spend revenue generated by the team. He will not or does not have any of his own capital to invest in the Islanders.

I actually thought he would start to spend money this year in advance of the move to Brooklyn so that the team would have a couple of playoff years and hit the ground running at Barclay's. Doesn't look like that will happen now.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
For a guy who built a business, you would think he could understand that concept. Plus, last year in the playoffs, the Barn was packed, people were spending on concessions, merchandise etc. He needs to hire a hockey guy to make him understand.
Exactly Long Island has a passionate fan base they've just been so alienated by ownership and management that I don't even blame them for not showing up. A lot of people here in Canada just look at the islanders attendence a d say "oh look another American market that doesn't care" I always say that's not the case in Long Island. I actually wish it would happen here in Edmonton to send a message but the problem here is even when the hockey fans get fed up and stop going there's enough casual fans who just wanna go out and see a game that will still pay top dollar to do so because the economy is so good here plus the season ticket holders don't want to give up their seats on the off chance the team does become good again and they'd be back in the queu of the 17000 person waiting list.

Our teams have the same problem but different in a way. You guys have clearly sent the message and hit wang where it hurts. The wallet. With wang he's just too incompetent to even understand what's going on. He can't even get the message. The problem we have is in our current circumstances we can't even send a message. The best we can do is start a Facebook group and put a billboard up. Frustrating times.

TROLLCHUK

Jul 1, 2006
If you guys noticed the Nets right before moving from NJ were gutted and running at no frills expense mode. Once they hit Brooklyn, they became active in the FA market and building a competitive team. I fear this is what will happen with us.

Next year we will be a lame duck again.

Although the FA class the following season looks pretty promising in the Forwards department. If we start spending that may be the time.

steveat

Jun 4, 2011

He doesn't look at this as a hockey team...he looks at it as a business.

No one puts their own private money into their business unless they are desperate. He is waiting until his "product" pays for itself and that's probably why he is being cheap on salaries and trying a new method of the "friend" contract.

simbo042

Apr 24, 2013
Newcastle, UK
While I agree Mitch, I am unhappy about him taking the revenue sharing check while saving dough at the expense of improvement as in this case with the Vanek deal. I don't expect the revenue committee to do what they are supposed to do, but it sure would be nice if they did climb into Wang's accounting, publicly, and came down on him for taking their money while starving this club out of greed.

Be careful what you wish for, if the league decides Wang is abusing the revenue cheque the first penalties are a fine and loss of a first round pick. Needless to say this would be a bigger disaster than the Vanek trade...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad