Confirmed with Link: Vanek Traded to MTL for 2nd rounder and Sebastian Collberg

Status
Not open for further replies.

luki here

Jan 30, 2011
Vienna
Good bye Vanek. Don't let the door hit you on the ass on the way out...but Snow ****ed even this up. Even my Dad couldn't believe it.

Is the ill will towards vanek necessary? Did he dissapoint you in some way, did he trade himself to the isles or sabotage the return we received for trading him?

Bunch of kids around here.

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010
Is the ill will towards vanek necessary? Did he dissapoint you in some way, did he trade himself to the isles or sabotage the return we received for trading him?

Bunch of kids around here.

Yes, he did. I guess you missed the way he told the world he wouldn't sign with anyone until July via national interview (we of course got no such warning that I am aware of), and then right before he leaves he trolls the club by insinuating they don't want to win and are moving in the wrong direction, which was interesting because you don't normally see that kind of faux pas by a high end pro. I am not as unhappy with him as some here, but I can understand where their anger wells from. His effort in the remaining games was pathetic as well.

luki here

Jan 30, 2011
Vienna
Yes, he did. I guess you missed the way he told the world he wouldn't sign with anyone until July via national interview (we of course got no such warning that I am aware of), and then right before he leaves he trolls the club by insinuating they don't want to win and are moving in the wrong direction, which was interesting because you don't normally see that kind of faux pas by a high end pro. I am not as unhappy with him as some here, but I can understand where their anger wells from. His effort in the remaining games was pathetic as well.

You must mean that he re-iterated the statements he had been saying since last season. If someone takes the time telling the hockey world his plan of action, then i guess i don't expect him to change his mind over the course of a few months (even though i was hoping like crazy that he would resign).

I don't think he harbors any ill will towards the islanders, but he does have a loose tongue. Pretty unprofessional, but nothing against the sh-storm i read each time i visit the main boards. I never understood why vanek feels everyone wants to know his opinion on weaknesses of the organisations he plays for. I agree, that is a character weakness and I apologize for my earlier comment, because I didn't fully realise he had attacked the islanders.

I do agree, that his effort in the last games was unprofessional. Even though i assume it pissed him off more than me, I expect him to show more focus.

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010
You must mean that he re-iterated the statements he had been saying since last season. If someone takes the time telling the hockey world his plan of action, then i guess i don't expect him to change his mind over the course of a few months (even though i was hoping like crazy that he would resign).
What, you mean like this interview? he simply leaves the door open, but doesn't shut it. I DO know he said he didn't want to stay through a rebuild - but that isn't the same as saying he won't sign with anyone who trades for him. I never heard him say he wouldn't sign with anyone until he became an Islander. If you can show me a direct quote pre-Islander trade I am all ears.

The interview: http://www.wkbw.com/sports/Vanek-Comments-on-Status-with-Sabres-216841611.htm

Another saying he would stay in Buffalo, only condition is no long rebuild. http://blogs.buffalonews.com/sabres/2013/03/vanek-wants-to-stay-with-sabres-but-would-look-the-other-direction-if-buffalo-decides-on-long-term-r.html

I don't honestly remember him ever saying he was headed to UFA or would die trying, when he was with Buffalo.

I don't think he harbors any ill will towards the islanders, but he does have a loose tongue. Pretty unprofessional, but nothing against the sh-storm i read each time i visit the main boards. I never understood why vanek feels everyone wants to know his opinion on weaknesses of the organisations he plays for. I agree, that is a character weakness and I apologize for my earlier comment, because I didn't fully realise he had attacked the islanders.

I do agree, that his effort in the last games was unprofessional. Even though i assume it pissed him off more than me, I expect him to show more focus.

Those two last points are fair game for anyone to be unhappy with him, IMO. He really shot us down, not only in terms of what we could get for him at the TDL, but with any UFAs. He basically told the rest of the UFA market come July that we suck, and he wouldn't sign with us if he was on fire and we had the last fire extinguisher. That was a pretty nasty shot at the club.

Last edited:

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
you said that snow is likely feeling uncomfortable because of the situation he is in. in doing so, you've alluded to the fact that the situation is a crappy one. where is your evidence? where are your relevant facts?

i'm speculating that snow has set aside much of his self respect by continuing to act as wang's stooge. definite speculation, as garth has not submitted to my requests to psychoanalyze him. i won't know for sure what makes him tick until he does. my speculation, however, is not wild. i believe my theory to be reasonably sound.

and so people were nasty to you so you are nasty to others? that's some really nice second grade logic :laugh:

You must have thin skin if you think this is nasty...are you a Long Islander btw?

I was just asking for actual events that lead you to believe that Snow has "sold his soul". An actual real, true life event that leads to your speculation. I can't believe you are still dodging and not providing it. It's not fair to ask for actual proof? Now I have to show proof why I think Snow is uncomfortable (which I did by surmising on how he is so silent and has such a closed door policy), but it's not necessary for you to provide anything? I would think if someone accuses another of selling their soul they would have at least one piece of evidence alleging to how they reached such a drastic conclusion....

islandermaniac

Feb 27, 2002
You must have thin skin if you think this is nasty...are you a Long Islander btw?

I was just asking for actual events that lead you to believe that Snow has "sold his soul". An actual real, true life event that leads to your speculation. I can't believe you are still dodging and not providing it. It's not fair to ask for actual proof? Now I have to show proof why I think Snow is uncomfortable (which I did by surmising on how he is so silent and has such a closed door policy), but it's not necessary for you to provide anything? I would think if someone accuses another of selling their soul they would have at least one piece of evidence alleging to how they reached such a drastic conclusion....

the evidence is that a backup goalie with no managerial experience became the isles gm...that's the only evidence i need :laugh:

islandermaniac

Feb 27, 2002
Oh so that's "selling his soul"? I guess I shouldn't be surprised this conversation went nowhere....:shakehead

the guy accepted a job that he knew he was not qualified for. he also knew that he would have to be conducting his business while being under someone else's thumb. in essence, he accepted a job to be the stooge of a laughing stock. i think he sold off all of his self respect just to remain in the public spotlight after his playing career went nowhere. this could certainly be seen by many to be the desperate actions of a man trying to remain relevant despite knowing he really had no business being the gm of a national hockey league team. it's really not hard to understand.

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
the guy accepted a job that he knew he was not qualified for. he also knew that he would have to be conducting his business while being under someone else's thumb. in essence, he accepted a job to be the stooge of a laughing stock. i think he sold off all of his self respect just to remain in the public spotlight after his playing career went nowhere. this could certainly be seen by many to be the desperate actions of a man trying to remain relevant despite knowing he really had no business being the gm of a national hockey league team. it's really not hard to understand.

I know you probably have a certain naivety to things like this, but all GM's are working under the owner's thumb to a degree. Snow did have a business degree and I don't think taking your first job post hockey in the same sport you've played in 30 years of your life and having to do with what you studied in college is by any means "selling your soul". No, he wasn't qualified, but to say that a guy takes a job under an owner to learn on the job experience in something he studied is a HUGE STRETCH for saying he sold his soul. That's like a mailroom employee working 30 years denying a promotion to a secretary because he doesn't feel qualified and thinks it will be "selling his soul". ANyway, i'm done with this it's proven to be a joke of a topic.

islandermaniac

Feb 27, 2002
I know you probably have a certain naivety to things like this, but all GM's are working under the owner's thumb to a degree. Snow did have a business degree and I don't think taking your first job post hockey in the same sport you've played in 30 years of your life and having to do with what you studied in college is by any means "selling your soul". No, he wasn't qualified, but to say that a guy takes a job under an owner to learn on the job experience in something he studied is a HUGE STRETCH for saying he sold his soul. That's like a mailroom employee working 30 years denying a promotion to a secretary because he doesn't feel qualified and thinks it will be "selling his soul". ANyway, i'm done with this it's proven to be a joke of a topic.

i have to agree that this has become a joke...i need look no further than your ridiculous analogy. i'm sorry to have riled you so by suggesting that garth snow is a sell out. am i really the one with the thin skin? :sarcasm:

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
i have to agree that this has become a joke...i need look no further than your ridiculous analogy. i'm sorry to have riled you so by suggesting that garth snow is a sell out. am i really the one with the thin skin? :sarcasm:

Once again your idea of riled up and nasty are not even close, lol....You'll know when i'm "riled up" or "nasty". The only thing that ever happens after reading your posts are fits of laughter....I like you though...I wanna keep you around for the comedic presence. Thanks!

MaryChristine*

I have no ill will toward Vanek whatsoever.
I did not get the sense that he was trying to sabotage or troll the team. I think he was being sincere and as professional as he could be.
Guess what... the team isn't winning and we haven't been going in the right direction.
Our D sucks, We still don't have a Goalie, Cappy is still head coach... How can any one blame him for wanting to win?
At the end he said that this was the best line he ever played on and that he enjoyed his time here... He also said the organization treated him well so I have no idea what you're bitterness is coming from.
He did play like crap toward the end, but oh well.
I wish him the best and I HOPE, him leaving turns out to be a blessing in disguise.

P.S. Just something I thought of... Do you really think Vanek said anything that every player around the league doesn't already know? Trust, he did not hurt the isles image anymore than it has been hurting around the league for over a decade now. Every player in the league knows all they need to know about this train wreck without Vanek having to say a thing.

Last edited by a moderator:

OlTimeHockey

Dec 5, 2003
home

UNPROFESSIONAL is knowing you have weaknesses, having a guy who you need to sign KNOW you won't make changes to improve and letting you and your teammates wither on a vine and ROT rather than make any improvements to enhance your ability to win.

Vanek didn't say anything revolutionary. HE WANTS TO WIN. THE BEST PLAYERS WANT TO WIN. Show me a player who would WILLINGLY resign with this bunch or turd wranglers running this team into oblivion and I'll show you a player not playing to win.

Vanek didn't want to stay on a loser. If Buffalo had shown him they were going to make moves to reverse their course and hire better people to make it work, he'd still be a Sabre.

We'd have Moulson traded for Klesla or someone else and THEY WOULD HAVE LEFT OR BEEN TRADED.

If Snow went and got a top four defenseman and got a better goalie, Vanek would dress tomorrow night. Instead, as we lost Blake, we lose Vanek.

If you worked for a callous inept boss and manager, you'd be reading want ads. OR you wouldn't care about your work. Vanek wants to win. Every good player wants to win.

I can't wait to see UFA season start. Nabby gets resigned, "because no one better was available." Moulson tells Snow to go F himself, and I wouldn't blame him. We MIGHT land someone in it for money and not victory but likely we'll get the typical, "couldn't hack it there so I'm gonna try and make a market for myself in 2015."

I have ZERO ill will towards Vanek. His career is something he wants to work out. So....leave the inept sh**hole organization that refuses, ABSOLUTELY REFUSES to win and go where they share his desire to see success.

I left a similar job and have been happy since. The anger on Vanek wanting success is funny....where's the anger on Wang and Snow and Capuano making itself VIVID to anyone seeing reality? They represent the reason why NO ONE wants to come here who could make a difference. {and why Tavares will leave when his contract is up if he has any sense or desire to succeed}

OlTimeHockey

Dec 5, 2003
home
I have no ill will toward Vanek whatsoever.
I did not get the sense that he was trying to sabotage or troll the team. I think he was being sincere and as professional as he could be.
Guess what... the team isn't winning and we haven't been going in the right direction.
Our D sucks, We still don't have a Goalie, Cappy is still head coach... How can any one blame him for wanting to win?
At the end he said that this was the best line he ever played on and that he enjoyed his time here... He also said the organization treated him well so I have no idea what you're bitterness is coming from.
He did play like crap toward the end, but oh well.
I wish him the best and I HOPE, him leaving turns out to be a blessing in disguise.

P.S. Just something I thought of... Do you really think Vanek said anything that every player around the league doesn't already know? Trust, he did not hurt the isles image anymore than it has been hurting around the league for over a decade now. Every player in the league knows all they need to know about this train wreck without Vanek having to say a thing.

If I read this I could have saved a ton of typing, dammit!:handclap:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad