Vanek signs with Minnesota (3 years, 6.5M AAV)

WeeBey

Aug 7, 2009
montreal
Moulson to Sabres.
Once again, the best sign elsewhere, while we pick up the peripherals...

I don't think Moulson is really worth what the Sabres gave him. They need to hit the cap floor I would imagine (haven't checked the numbers). Same reason Gionta is there now.

Alexdaman

Wolfman
Mar 12, 2012
Hell/Heaven
I'm just happy that he signed for much less money than what everyone was arguing with me about. I always said 6.5 - 7.0 max 7.5 would be enough to get him and all I heard was (Ha you don't understand 29 teams are gonna offer as much or more) guess what no 7.0-7.5 would of been enough to get him.

Player 61

#Winning
Aug 4, 2007
West Island
The best thing about this thread is how light the activity there is. Minny will be complaining about him by Christmas. Bonne Chance.

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
The best thing about this thread is how light the activity there is. Minny will be complaining about him by Christmas. Bonne Chance.

I'm sure it will get bumped in October when we go on a 1 game losing streak.

Hoople

Mar 7, 2011
And a hearty **** you to Coach Therrien for screwing this up.

Vanek is not a 4th liner. Vanek should not be playing on a shut-down line with Plekanec.

Vanek will do extremely well with the Wild and the Wild basically got a very good discount, compliments of Therrien.

WTF

JamieLagenbrunner

Jun 2, 2014
Moulson to Sabres.
Once again, the best sign elsewhere, while we pick up the peripherals...

Blame the media. No one wants to play in a tough market like Montreal. Media is too demanding.

I wasn't expecting Bergevin to add a top 6 fwd to our lineup, unless it was through trade. I heard they're trying to make a deal for Sharp, but that's another story for later.

Last edited:

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
Who would have thought it, Minnesota is an NHL destination like Detroit, LA, San Jose etc. LOL.

Team_Spirit

95% Elliotte
Jul 3, 2002
............he was a rental from day 1. The coach and the media have nothing to do with it.

Hoople

Mar 7, 2011
Blame the media. No one wants to play in a tough market like Montreal. Media is too demanding.

I wasn't expecting Bergevin to add a top 6 fwd to our lineup, unless it was through trade. I heard they're trying to make a deal for Sharp, but that's another story for later.

Media?:laugh::laugh:

Therrien moving Ryder down from the top line to the 3rd toward the end of the season. Ryder quits scoring and leaves Montreal as fast as he can.

Therrien moving Vanek down from the top line to the 3rd/4th/checking line at the playoffs. Vanek quits scoring and leaves Montreal as fast as he can.

Cant blame the media unless the media was in charge of setting the lines.

Saintpatrick*

Good bye and good riddance. He gave half effort his whole time with the team even in the playoffs. I have no respect for a player like that

Therrien moving Ryder down from the top line to the 3rd toward the end of the season. Ryder quits scoring and leaves Montreal as fast as he can.

Therrien moving Vanek down from the top line to the 3rd/4th/checking line at the playoffs. Vanek quits scoring and leaves Montreal as fast as he can.

I dislike Therrien immensely but lets face it he wasn't exactly lighting it up on the first or 2nd line either. Therrien saw what we all saw he was giving an half ass effort and was treated accordingly.

uiCk

Jan 20, 2009
MTL
Who would have thought it, Minnesota is an NHL destination like Detroit, LA, San Jose etc. LOL.

Minny is quite the stacked team. Outside of LA/chi, I have blues/wild as cup favorites.

Don't know why you would put Detroit in that list....

JamieLagenbrunner

Jun 2, 2014

thing is I wasn't talking about Vanek or any of our current roster players. I was talking about how free agents in general are less likely to accept an offer from the Habs (unless they have no choice), because they know how badly they'll be treated in a tough market like Montreal... whether we make it to the ECF or not, the media will always try and put the blame on someone for not getting us to that cup.

That's why I'm never hyped when free agency day comes.

Blind Gardien

nexus of the crisis
Apr 2, 2004
Four Winds Bar
It's a fair contract for Vanek IMHO. I'd have taken him gladly for the Habs on those terms. But I understand that he was bent on signing with Minny almost no matter what, and the way things went off the rails in the playoffs and his utilization and everything, I don't presume there was ever any real chance he'd have signed with us.

I don't see how Minny really ends up regretting this one. 3 years is just not a doomsday scenario in the modern UFA world. Say he struggles a bit in Year 1. Then he is expect to bounce back in Year 2. If he doesn't, you're basically just riding out one season. Worst case. Best case is of course why you sign him in the first place.

Hoople

Mar 7, 2011
thing is I wasn't talking about Vanek or any of our current roster players. I was talking about how free agents in general are less likely to accept an offer from the Habs (unless they have no choice), because they know how badly they'll be treated in a tough market like Montreal... whether we make it to the ECF or not, the media will always try and put the blame on someone for not getting us to that cup.

That's why I'm never hyped when free agency day comes.

I know that you werent talking about current (and now former) roster players.

I brought up Ryder and Vanek as examples of coaching decisions made by Therrien.

The NHL is a very small community of athletes. Everyone saw Ryder get demoted while being the Habs goal scoring leader. Everyone saw Vanek being forced to play his opposite wing and then moved to a checking line in the playoffs where he was destined to fail.

Those two guys were pure offensive threats and were forced out of their roles.

And not to sound crass, but the NHL players do not give one **** about fans or the media in any market. If they are that distracted by what some idiot media guy says about them, then they are really not that mentally strong to begin with.

Coaching and team dynamics weigh more than anything else when it comes to deciding where to go and where to sign.

dcyhabs

May 30, 2008
Montreal
MT is an emotion coach, no intellect. He works out if properly surrounded.

The habs scored way more with Vanek than without. Even when he's not scoring he opens space for the other lines.

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham

Vanek is not a 4th liner. Vanek should not be playing on a shut-down line with Plekanec.

Vanek will do extremely well with the Wild and the Wild basically got a very good discount, compliments of Therrien.

WTF

Yea that was all Therrien's fault that Vanek crapped the bed.

I hate MT as much as the next guy but in this case, he did everything he could to get him going.

Rosalie

Nov 18, 2007
Montréal

WTF

Vanek screwed this up by his attitude.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad