Vanek signs with Minnesota (3 years, 6.5M AAV)

Markov4Captain

Dec 29, 2009
Montreal, QC
MT is at fault for a lot of things, but Vanek was pure **** in the playoffs. You can't float of you're to play for coach Therrien and 'back-check' was no a word in Vanek's vocabulary. Good luck to him in Minny, I'll miss his scoring in the regular season, but I won't be missing him in the playoffs.

Hoople

Mar 7, 2011
Yea that was all Therrien's fault that Vanek crapped the bed.

I hate MT as much as the next guy but in this case, he did everything he could to get him going.

Vanek turned off the give a **** right after the Tampa series when he was moved off of the top line with DD.

For that we can fault Vanek.

However, a coach can take two different approaches. The My Way or the Highway approach. Or, he can work with and understand what it takes to motivate players with the understanding that one size does not fit all.

Each choice is a legitimate decision made by a coach.

Therrien showed clearly which approach he preferred. Therrien showed that he was willing to prove that he is the boss at the expense of Vanek. In the end, Therrien wins, Vanek wins (still got a healthy contract) and the Habs lose.

Two out three winners isnt too bad, I guess.

borisbadenough

Mar 25, 2013
Media?:laugh::laugh:

Therrien moving Ryder down from the top line to the 3rd toward the end of the season. Ryder quits scoring and leaves Montreal as fast as he can.

Therrien moving Vanek down from the top line to the 3rd/4th/checking line at the playoffs. Vanek quits scoring and leaves Montreal as fast as he can.

Cant blame the media unless the media was in charge of setting the lines.

What about playing a guy with 275+ goals OFF WING. LOL A great way to start your relationship off on good footing. "I know you have been playing lw for the last eight seasons and that over that time you are the best of your class but I ,THE COACH, am going to play you on the RW." Brilliant coaching move! Maybe Coach should play Patches on the rw next year?

Or being unable to properly fit him into the pp scheme? Or the offensive system? Coach: "I know that I cannot figure out how to use a guy with your vison, hands or hockey sense in our offensive system so I want you to play more DEFENSE" lol

Then , when his numbers do not look Long Islandesc and he starts tosay tohimself"ok I have the message only ten games left" the coach follows by making an example of him. Another Brilliant coaching move with a 30 year old hockey player. Not one on one or team captain to him or any other private option ,PUBLICALLY. ( I think management got angry when his agent told them to hold onto their offer.) LOL

Briere banged the coach pretty hard in his comments after he left. Vanek acted like a man and ,unlike our mangement here, refused to comment when he was asked. A class move on his part, unlike what the Coach did to him in his game pressers.

He was bad in the Rangers series? on the fouth line, playing less than 12 min per in each loss, getting his 4x4, pp and o zone start time cut? LOL and still being our second pts guy overall. lol Amazing. Was he worse than DD or Patches or even Crosby or Nash or or or or . MY god are some people just stupid?

For those of you who think the Habs experience hurt him. He left huge money on the table to go home.

I wonder what UFA 's think about us now.

I will enjoy watching his numbers next year in Minn , a tougher Division, different systems, a better Coach..

Last edited:

borisbadenough

Mar 25, 2013
Vanek turned off the give a **** right after the Tampa series when he was moved off of the top line with DD.

However, a coach can take two different approaches. The My Way or the Highway approach. Or, he can work with and understand what it takes to motivate players with the understanding that one size does not fit all.

Therrien showed clearly which approach he preferred. Therrien showed that he was willing to prove that he is the boss at the expense of Vanek. In the end, Therrien wins, Vanek wins (still got a healthy contract) and the Habs lose.

We lose and the team loses because it was more important for Therrien to humiliate TV to make his point than to take his best shot at winning the last game with the Rangers. What does that tell you about him. It is notlike this is the first time he has proven he can not handle players in his office in a private setting. Ask PK. lol

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
We lose because it was more important for Therrien to make his point than to take his best shot at winning the last game with the Rangers.

What point?

Let's demote Gallagher who will bleed for the team so Vanek, who wouldn't even show up most games, can get the cozy ice time? Talk about sending the wrong message to your players.

Vanek showed his colours at playoff time, and ESPECIALLY post playoffs trying to blame the change of lines for his ****** play. Buddy, you're in the F$%$%ing NHL, getting huge money with a chance to play for the CUP! Show up to the rink and put your work boots on and compete.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
We lose and the team loses because it was more important for Therrien to humiliate TV to make his point than to take his best shot at winning the last game with the Rangers. What does that tell you about him. It is notlike this is the first time he has proven he can not handle players in his office in a private setting. Ask PK. lol

How did he "humiliate" TV?

He put him with Plekanec after he wasn't producing with Desharnais, that didn't work so he tried him with Briere.

Since when is trying different combos to get players going "humiliating" them? If he had made him a healthy scratch, then maybe you have a point...

Some posters on here are such drama queens...

borisbadenough

Mar 25, 2013
What point?

Let's demote Gallagher who will bleed for the team so Vanek, who wouldn't even show up most games, can get the cozy ice time? Talk about sending the wrong message to your players.

Vanek showed his colours at playoff time, and ESPECIALLY post playoffs trying to blame the change of lines for his ****** play. Buddy, you're in the F$%$%ing NHL, getting huge money with a chance to play for the CUP! Show up to the rink and put your work boots on and compete.

Yep, show up and play for a coach who has no idea how to motivate you, or how to use you, and who is willing to embarass you publically. A coach not willing to give his team the best shot at winning in the elimination game. I am all in. :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
I don't understand how this entire Vanek debacle wasn't bordering on collusion? While he was on contract with the NYI and Montreal, Minny said they would be acquiring him. Vanek said he would probably be going there, as did his agent.

I thought it was against the CBA to deal with a player under contract, and a potential FA before July 1?

CHarlie

They feed me CHicken
Feb 3, 2012
Ontario
I don't understand how this entire Vanek debacle wasn't bordering on collusion? While he was on contract with the NYI and Montreal, Minny said they would be acquiring him. Vanek said he would probably be going there, as did his agent.

I thought it was against the CBA to deal with a player under contract, and a potential FA before July 1?

Heres hoping for another Min draft pick in return...........hahaha

Richiebottles

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Jul 26, 2010

It probably wasn't tampering because his agent as well as him probably didn't have discussions.

I am pretty sure Minny saw a need that they had a knew that Vanek would want to sign with them (after he said it publicly) and they put two and two together.

If there are no direct talks it isn't tampering.

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
It probably wasn't tampering because his agent as well as him probably didn't have discussions.

I am pretty sure Minny saw a need that they had a knew that Vanek would want to sign with them (after he said it publicly) and they put two and two together.

If there are no direct talks it isn't tampering.

I get all that, but both parties have been saying Vanek in Minnesota is a given , since his first days in NY.

LesHabs66

Apr 11, 2007
Minneapolis MN
I'd say that his frozen stare and lack of movement to stop a Rangers forward from batting a pop fly puck into the net at a crucial point of the ECF was enough to end the discussion. No check. No bump. No hook. No check. No movement or effort to do something to stop a player from scoring on his goaltender from less than three feet away. He just stood there and watched the guy bat in the rebound. That pretty much sums up his efforts.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
Yep, show up and play for a coach who has no idea how to motivate you, or how to use you, and who is willing to embarass you publically. A coach not willing to give his team the best shot at winning in the elimination game. I am all in. :laugh::laugh::laugh:

a coach shouldn't have to motivate you in the cup Semi finals...plus you're UFA in 3 months.

Very weak argument there...

Sounds like a whole lot of drama and no substance to that post...

borisbadenough

Mar 25, 2013

You hit the nail on the head.Here is his quote..A guy with class.

On his maligned postseason, he said, “It certainly wasn’t my best one I can tell you that. But I’ll take the blame for that. It’s not always easy moving around and being away from my family like I have been. But those are not excuses those are just factors that do factor into me. Family is big on me. It was tough at
the end. I thought once I got traded for the second time, it took me a little longer to find a place on the team. But the guys were great and I have nothing but good things to say about that organization. I
thought I was fitting in pretty well. Had a good run. And then once I got moved in the playoffs, it just kind of went away.”

borisbadenough

Mar 25, 2013
a coach shouldn't have to motivate you in the cup Semi finals...plus you're UFA in 3 months.

Very weak argument there...

Sounds like a whole lot of drama and no substance to that post...

No substance.Thats what posters like you say when they do not have a valid counterpoint.

1. was he playing off wing...
2. would you say the coach fit him into the system properly especially the pp?
3. Did coach take him off the one line
4. did he cut his ice time
5, did he cut his pp time
6. did he put him on the 4th line in the most critical game?
7.Did he say negative things in public

facts not substance lol

was the 4th line not the best line in the 1-0 loss.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad