Injury Report: Vanek out week-to-week | no call ups planned

hot dog

Mar 20, 2013
How much cap space is needed to bring Mantha up? If waiving Ott frees the money it's a no brainer. Need a goal scoring replacement and not like anyone would claim Ott anyway (if you're scared of losing him, that is).

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
How much cap space is needed to bring Mantha up? If waiving Ott frees the money it's a no brainer. Need a goal scoring replacement and not like anyone would claim Ott anyway (if you're scared of losing him, that is).

Wouldn't waive Ott (or Miller) right now. Don't think it's a no brainer at all. I'm all in favor of cutting veteran depth and bringing up promising kids when there's a lot of dead weight but those 2 vets have been solid and we aren't dumping games left and right. There are a lot of guys who haven't been finishing who should be (Shea, Abs, Tats, Larkin) and they need to be the ones feeling the heat as opposed to the 4th liners taking the hit.

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI
What? That's the real problem with signing vets...they're more fragile and injury prone. Insane Mantha is not getting a look. Guess the Wings think AA and Larkin are enough youth to employ right now. :shakehead

lidstromiscool

May 5, 2007
If he’s week to week, might as well put him on LTIR and bring up Mantha. Worst case scenario he gets a couple more games to rest while Mantha can improve the team in the present.

hot dog

Mar 20, 2013
Wouldn't waive Ott (or Miller) right now. Don't think it's a no brainer at all. I'm all in favor of cutting veteran depth and bringing up promising kids when there's a lot of dead weight but those 2 vets have been solid and we aren't dumping games left and right. There are a lot of guys who haven't been finishing who should be (Shea, Abs, Tats, Larkin) and they need to be the ones feeling the heat as opposed to the 4th liners taking the hit.

It's not dumping if they don't get claimed.
Ott would almost certainly clear. When one of your top goal scorers and PP threats goes down, it's much more important to fill his spot with a potentially similar skill set than it is keeping a fourth liner who at best is only slightly above plug status.

Mantha could essentially play the same minutes as Vanek - 3rd line matchups, PP - and you can slide down either Sheahan or Abby to the fourth line for a net win.

Cursed Lemon

Registered Bruiser
Nov 10, 2011
Dey-Twah, MI

Uhhhh, so you'd be willing to lose Sheahan, Abdelkader, or Tatar over Ott?

borisbadenough

Mar 25, 2013
If he’s week to week, might as well put him on LTIR and bring up Mantha. Worst case scenario he gets a couple more games to rest while Mantha can improve the team in the present.

Are you sure. :laugh: That has been said about how many prospects here in the last five years? And how many actually did. Most of them are gone now and the majority of the others still here are not living up to expectations. imo That said. I would like to see him for a few games/but my expectations are not high.

Last edited:

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010

If we waived Ott, that would clear enough space to bring Mantha up. I would do that, since Ott is playing 8 minutes a night (last 2 games) and not much more than a gimmick.

Then I'd give Mantha Abby or Sheahan's spot in the top 6, since both have been lousy so far.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
If we can lose Abdelkader we need to. His contract was terrible the second he signed it and its only going to get worse.

Abdelkader absolutely needs to play better, but the Wings aren't going to dump Abdelkader anytime soon. Posters around here really need to start coming to grips with this.

njx9

Feb 1, 2016
Abdelkader absolutely needs to play better, but the Wings aren't going to dump Abdelkader anytime soon. Posters around here really need to start coming to grips with this.

I don't think anyone expects them to. The question was whether the poster would be ok with it or not.

TheRatPoisoner

Feb 23, 2015
So Vanek is apparently the straw that stirs the drink. Who would have thought that at the beginning of the season?

korrowan

Sponsor
Feb 8, 2011
Waiving Ott or miller is in fact a no brainer. That is the worse line in all of the NHL and the statistics prove it. There was an article on TSN on this very line today.

http://www.thehockeynews.com/news/a...cary-a-look-at-the-nhl-s-best-and-worst-lines

SCARY BAD

Luke Glendening - Drew Miller - Steve Ott
TOI Together: 40 minutes
Relative Corsi: -14.7 percent, -29.8 shot attempts per 60
Almost every team has that one guy who drags the team down, but Detroit has taken that even further with its fourth line this year. Instead of just one guy, they’ve got three. Say hello to the OMG Line.
“The OMG Line?†you may ask. It’s the acronym for the guys that are on it and it also perfectly describes their play. For example, “OMG why can’t we get the puck out of our zone.†Or “OMG we waived two promising young players for this.†Or “OMG why did you do that. Or “OMG that shift was a disaster.†Or “OMG seriously how is the puck still in our zone.†But mostly it’s “OMG why are all three of these guys on the ice together at the same time.†The name is extremely versatile in describing their ability.

redwingsphan

Apr 25, 2014
Boy, I sure miss those promising players that were waived, and who were then waived by another team. Don't get me wrong, I agree that line is a offensive black hole.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
Waiving Ott or miller is in fact a no brainer. That is the worse line in all of the NHL and the statistics prove it. There was an article on TSN on this very line today.
http://www.thehockeynews.com/news/a...cary-a-look-at-the-nhl-s-best-and-worst-lines

All three are currently posting a shot attempts percentage below 40 percent, with Miller being the worst offender at a shocking 37 percent. Other than Danny DeKeyser at 39.3 percent, the next worst Red Wing is hovering at 43.

To put all that into perspective, the only NHL team to ever play below 40 percent for an entire year was the historically bad 2014-15 Buffalo Sabres, a team that was built specifically to lose. Their -14.7 percent relative Corsi is second worst for any regular forward line this season.

lol.

Boy, I sure miss those promising players that were waived, and who were then waived by another team. Don't get me wrong, I agree that line is a offensive black hole.

If I have to choose between useless 4th line veterans with no potential upside that are offensive and defensive black holes and younger guys who *might* actually turn into something and cost less, I think I'll go with the latter.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad