Post-Game Talk: Vancouver will pick 5th in the 2017 NHL Draft

Status
Not open for further replies.

beachcomber

Apr 6, 2015
You realize had the Canucks won one more game they would have fallen to 7th...(or you could look at it as they would have had NJ's numbers and would have won the draft).

People like you were crying for last now you're crying because they should have won another game. Casual fans are hilarious.

PetterssonSimp

Dec 12, 2008
So they Canucks Luck'd this one up. So In Canuckian fashion we draft Liljergen or Rasmussen and they bust while player X goes on to be quality scorer/PP Defenceman

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
People like you were crying for last now you're crying because they should have won another game. Casual fans are hilarious.

Fans who struggle with reading comprehension are hilarious. Who's calling who a casual fan anyway?

If you seriously think I'm saying the Canucks should have won another game then you clearly have no understanding of what I post.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
47 years ago...canucks lose because of the number 11

lose today because of the number 11. New Jersey had 1-5-6-12 combination and the canucks had 1-5-6-11.

Im pretty sure messier wore the number 11 as a canuck. Messier years were some of the darkest days for canuck fans.

We lost a cup in heartbreaking fashion in the year 2011.

Can we officially say that the number 11 is a curse when it comes to the canucks.

Case of the Maki curse.

also lost in the '11 finals.

Petrichor

Jan 25, 2017
Chill out, every single one of the bottom 3 teams dropped to their worst position, so it's not like Canucks are alone on this island. It's called a lottery for a reason. You don't buy a Lotto 6/49 ticket and expect to win millions.

The silver lining is that after the top 2, the 3-7 selection is pretty similar. One of these is guaranteed to be a Canuck assuming Benning doesn't trade it away:

C 6'3 - Vilardi
C 6'2 - Glass <- my #2 choice
C 6'1 - Mittelstadt <- my #1 choice
RD 5'10 - Makar <- my #3 choice
LW 5'11 - Heiskanen

Anyone of these will easily become the top prospect in the organization and be ready in 2019.

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
I posted this in the other thread.

Raindrops, drop tops (drop tops)
Canucks are back at the 5th spot (5th spot)
****in your mind cause they not hot (not hot)
Cookin up **** in the owners box (box)

jimmythescot

Jul 28, 2009
Edinburgh, Scotland
A week before the draft someone should make an official draft thread where everyone says who the canucks think they should pick.

Then we can look back at it, and show who wanted who, and who was right and who was wrong.

just so we don't have people after the draft claiming we should have drafted "so & so" even though the player vancouver drafted was who they wanted from the start.

Well then, good news!

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=2224023

We should probably do a follow up for the top 5, though. That's what everyone will be interested in.

Robongo01

May 13, 2013
Vancouver
They were the 2nd worst team in the league last year, and dropped 2 spots in the draft. You could argue they should have had Laine, but because Columbus ****ed up they ended up Puljujarvi. Not their fault.

Granted, I've only seen probably what you've seen of Makar, which is highlights. So as a Makar fan who has seen as much as you or any other Makar fan, what legitimately separates him from a prospect like DeAngelo in their draft year aside from their so called "cockiness/character issues"? I think pre draft, they are extremely similar prospects and I would even go as far to say as DeAngelo was regarded as the better prospect minus the character issues. Fine prospect, don't get me wrong, but when another D such as Heiskanen who's been playing against men all year long and putting up better numbers than someone like Ristolainen who's a 40++ pt scored in the NHL, is available it's hard for me to see any respectable case for Makar over Heiskanen. Makar is the sexy pick I guess, reminds every Nucks fan of what they have been missing in Ehrhoff but aside from that, can't really see a whole lot different between Makar and DeAngelo? (just based off pre draft highlights)

Habitat

Mar 8, 2010
Winnipeg
Does anyone have a source that Casey Mittelstadt wants to stay at University of Minnesota for 4 years? If thats the case do we really want to wait until hes 22 to starts his NHL career?

tylerseguin

Jun 6, 2016
Italia
Obviously I'm disappointed but if Col and Dallas will decide to set their defensive holes, Mittlestadt will be available and i'm fine with picking him.

go comets

Jul 10, 2013
Tippett may be a good choice, goal scorer with some size. It's either a goal scorer or a big center depending on who is left at #5...

absolute garbage

Jan 22, 2006
What about factors well outside a team's control? Should a team be penalized in the draft because they have the toughest part of their schedule to end the season?

That's a fair point, but you have to remember that the whole dynamic would be different. Who is a tough opponent in that system? The "good" team that has locked up the division win and is waiting for playoffs has nothing to play for compared to a #25 place team. Bad teams are trying to win just as hard as the 10-20 place teams fighting for the playoff spot. Bad team vs bad team would be a battle. It's just a lot more competitive, which is the goal here.

Deadline could be moved to a different date aswell. What about February 1st?

Ultimately it's just schedule things. It happens. It's going to even out in the long term. People complain about the quirks of the schedule even now, I don't think a "2½ month mini season" for the non-playoff teams in the end there is a problem, even if there's a bit more weight to it.

Or if key players go down to injury at the end of the season? Essentially your system gives massive weight to a very small number of games. It would also heavily disincentivize the rental market which is another way bad teams can get better in the long run.

Yep injuries are part of the game. It would be the same for everyone, like it is now. Maybe you get lucky/unlucky, maybe your competition does. Maybe it's different next year. Nothing new here (except that teams wouldn't give up and shut down players capable of playing).

The rental market would be interesting because teams would have to think about are they better off with more draft picks or having a better chance of drafting higher? It might lead to fewer deadline trades. It could also lead to more "hockey trades". But in any case, I would take fewer deadline deals and a competitive 2½ month stretch drive where teams and their fans are heavily engaged and want to win over this current embarrassment.

Well weirdly enough the monkeys are still here and I as a fan am losing my interest in paying for this ****** product.

So if the NHL's goal is to stand on some moral high ground and teach bad management a "lesson", congrats I guess.

But if the league's goal is to maintain fan interest so that fans of garbage teams have some reason to stay involved then it's a big fail.

All comes down to what you want I guess. I'm a fan so I care more about entertaining hockey than setting some sort of moral code for NHL executives. To each their own I guess

It seems like you really don't grasp what I'm saying here. Has nothing to do with some moral code. Like, what I'm suggesting here literally does every relevant thing you said there. I feel like you are tunneling so hard on this "have to be bad to get better" mindset that you don't see anything past it.

It would lead to monkeys getting fired. It would lead to having a higher quality product. It would lead to more engaging, interesting and entertaining hockey down the stretch for every team (last time I checked fans like these things). It would lead to garbage teams gradually improving and improving step by step into a playoff team. It would be a good thing. If a garbage team stays garbage year after year in this system, it's not the system what is to blame. It's the team.

Again, Canucks under Benning is the perfect example here. It's the thing that proofs this system would be better. These people have tried so hard to compete but because they are so bad and have no idea what they are doing, their teams suck. Everyone knows they should be fired, everyone IS losing interest in this **** (like you are). In this system that didn't reward failure, they would get fired, and the team would start gradually improving through winning with competent people running the show.

Last edited:

JanBulisPiggyBack

Dec 31, 2011
It has been 12 hours now and I am over it

I am more disappointed in losing Tryamkin than I am in dropping to 5th.

Last years drop was way worse because the top 2 players followed by JP were the prized goals, it broke open after that. This year the second tier of top prospects are wide open

Eventually something will hit and the Canucks will receive some luck, until then screw this league, I believe there is some ******** at play that exists ( not primarily the draft ) It doesn't exactly target the Canucks but it benefits other teams which impacts the Canucks

JA

If you've never seen Cody Glass, here is a shift-by-shift package:

He is intelligent, he anticipates well, and he is a patient playmaker, but he lacks any sort of physicality whatsoever; this is especially noticeable any time he engages along the boards, where he opts to use his stick instead. Rather than check the opponent, he will try to work around the opposing player's body to free the puck up; sometimes he will try to wedge himself between the opponent and the puck -- he will take a hit, but won't dish one. At 6'2'' 180 lbs, he isn't particularly strong.

The best centerman outside of the Top 2, in my opinion, is Gabriel Vilardi. He possesses a combination of high hockey IQ, skill, and strength. He is a terrific stick handler and has excellent vision to generate offense. He plays a much more powerful game than Glass.

Last edited by a moderator:

Donuts

Nov 7, 2014
My top 6:

1 hischier
2 patrick
(These 2 wont be dropping to 5 unless teams see something concerning about patrick's past injuries during the combine)

3 mittlestadt
4 necas
5 vilardi
(One of this Cs should be available for the canucks; mittlestadt preferrably.)

6 heiskanen
(if benning goes with dman again, also dont mind makar even with his high risk high reward)

canucks20

Oct 12, 2009
Tippett may be a good choice, goal scorer with some size. It's either a goal scorer or a big center depending on who is left at #5...

Oh god no. I watched him a few times in the OIL playoffs and I wouldn't be touching him with a top 15 pick

JA

The Canucks should not consider Owen Tippett. He is a one-dimensional, puck-rushing winger who loves to shoot the puck; he has an excellent release and terrific speed, but he will try to force the puck into the middle even if the play is not available. He offers very little outside of his shot attempts and passes into the middle of the ice. He could be considered a low-IQ player whose toolbox is the primary reason for his success.

Here is one of his performances:

Knucklehead

Oct 18, 2002
Fort Nelson,B.C.
47 years ago...canucks lose because of the number 11

lose today because of the number 11. New Jersey had 1-5-6-12 combination and the canucks had 1-5-6-11.

Im pretty sure messier wore the number 11 as a canuck. Messier years were some of the darkest days for canuck fans.

We lost a cup in heartbreaking fashion in the year 2011.

Can we officially say that the number 11 is a curse when it comes to the canucks.

I will add one more to the list of the cursed # 11. Wayne Maki wore #11 when he took a brutal 2 handed vicious slash to the head by Ted green of the Boston Bruin's that hospitalized him for some time. That was the harbinger of what was to come for the franchise by the Bruins and the rest of the league.

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
I think the Canucks will end up with one of Vilardi or Glass and I'd be happy to draft either of them. Assuming Hischier/Patrick go 1/2, I have to think either Dallas or Colorado will take Heiskanen, likely leaving one of the two forwards for the Canucks. Personally I see Mittelstadt as a slight notch below either Glass/Vilardi. If they lose out on both Glass/Vilardi I say take Heiskanen as I think he's the BPA in that spot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad