Vancouver Sports Media Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
I'm sure Bmac is a lovely guy when he's not hanging his coworkers and employer out to dry with his prolonged absences. But his work is trash and he's another SportsPage guy who has not had an interesting opinion about hockey in at least 20 years. Legacy sports media in Vancouver is unlistenable/unreadable in large part because this generation of hacks will not go away.

Would you say he was hanging his coworkers out to dry if the reason for his absence were a physical illness, or do you reserve that ignorance and stupidity for depression?

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
Absolutely anyone is an upgrade over Abbott. Guy is close to unlistenable.

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
Agreed completely.

All the best to him with his personal stuff ... but he's a lousy, vanilla, out-of-touch media guy who was irrelevant already a decade ago. Which describes over half of the media in this market, and pretty much 90% of the guys on the radio.

It might have to do with the Canucks being the only real game in town and the Aquilinis being rather heavy handed with media they deem to be too critical of the team. I don't listen to team1040 anymore because the majority is just drivel but I DO know where guys like BMac are coming from.

They have mortgages and they want to remain employed.

It's a crappy situation for everyone because it hides how terribly incompetent management is and perpetuates idiotic narratives like Linden's "a rebuild wouldn't be fair to the Sedins" and probably every other narrative that's been fed to the general populace to explain away Jim and Trevor's incompetence.

We need another REAL major league sport in this market and we need one yesterday. The fact that Jimbo is still employed after two bottom 3 stealth tanks is just mind boggling.

sexydonut

May 12, 2009
You could say similar things about the rest of the media, or academia or government. The influential people in these industries are often reflective of their owners, or advertisers, or patrons. So the Aquilinis' perspective is rebroadcast by the 1040 dopes.

It's a lot more disturbing when city hall's policies are directly influenced by real estate developers, or a university's economics department reflects the position of the banks.

So in a strange way, the submissive relationship between 1040 and the Aquilinis isn't detached from the rest of society.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Reread, perhaps? I didn't say at all, or remotely even suggest that the show was fantastic before Moj. So that doesn't actually follow.

Even if it wasn't great, it was still *better* before the pannel, though. And that was BMac's doing. Ever listen to him when he was on his own on the Mid-day show? He was great! The whole show would be great interviews and thoughtful analysis. Anyone remember the end of Pratt and Taylor? Cause if you do, you still have nightmares about bike lanes and TDM's everything wine promo spots. Pleeeeenty of "vanilla content" there. But no Bmac.

So maybe (just maybe) 1040's long-standing mandate is to have mass market (vanilla) content in the drive slot. And maybe one (maybe more!) of the guys who have been directed to do that aren't ideally suited to that, but are just trying to make the best of the situation. Maybe their hearts aren't in it. Maybe they would have been much better used in other, better, what we would call "more listenable" formats. And maybe the station hasn't cared, because they haven't had to. (And I guess, maybe, they were even sorta right, cause a lot of us clearly still listen, at least sometimes, despite our *****ing - me very much included.

Barry is an immensely talented journalist and broadcaster, and has contributed more to sports media here over those very "decades" than just about anyone. All of this is painfully obvious to anyone who is actually watched and listened to him over that time. You may not like the afternoon show (now, in its last incarnation, or even the one before that), and that's totally fair. Would sports media here be more enjoyable to most of us with the addition of some new and some younger talent? Absolutely. Are those things mutually exclusive? Hell to the no. There are a whole huge pile of other changes that can and should be made, to bring that about.

You said that the foremost problem is that it's a 3-person format, but the show had the same major issue with 2-people - the host are out-of-touch to the current sports scene. This is particularly true of MacDonald.

I actually find the show better with Taylor & Moj vs MacDonald with either of them. It's still not great, but it's at least productive from a sports talk standpoint at times.

Talking about how good MacDonald USED to be is precisely the problem - you are focused on what he used to be and not what he is now. I used to like him in the mornings, but that was over 10 years ago. Lots can change in that time.

MoeLemay14

Feb 19, 2015
Batchelor would be an improvement over abbott just because of the fact that his voice does not make me want to bash my head against a wall

He'd be an improvement over Pee Wee Herman too, but that doesn't necessarily mean...

Anyway.

I personally would prefer to listen to more Shorty. Also, how on earth did they manage to lose Brendan Burke to the Islanders?? :facepalm:

Feb 24, 2017
You said that the foremost problem is that it's a 3-person format, but the show had the same major issue with 2-people - the host are out-of-touch to the current sports scene. This is particularly true of MacDonald.

I actually find the show better with Taylor & Moj vs MacDonald with either of them. It's still not great, but it's at least productive from a sports talk standpoint at times.

Talking about how good MacDonald USED to be is precisely the problem - you are focused on what he used to be and not what he is now. I used to like him in the mornings, but that was over 10 years ago. Lots can change in that time.

Really, it's gotta come down to the pairings. Moj with either Barry or Don works because they don't have their giggle twin there to play off of, and Moj is more free to push the actual sports discussion. Moj, obviously, being the biggest actual sports nut among them.

I enjoyed Barry with Scott Rintoul in the mornings way back when. That was a pretty decent pairing for complimenting one another's strengths.

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
Really, it's gotta come down to the pairings. Moj with either Barry or Don works because they don't have their giggle twin there to play off of, and Moj is more free to push the actual sports discussion. Moj, obviously, being the biggest actual sports nut among them.

I enjoyed Barry with Scott Rintoul in the mornings way back when. That was a pretty decent pairing for complimenting one another's strengths.

Sounds kind of like Scotty is going to the new station.

I agree with you about it being a pair instead of the three of them together. I'd also remove "big ry" or limit his involvement. Some of the stuff he does during the broadcast just further deviates it away from the actual discussion.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Sounds kind of like Scotty is going to the new station.

I agree with you about it being a pair instead of the three of them together. I'd also remove "big ry" or limit his involvement. Some of the stuff he does during the broadcast just further deviates it away from the actual discussion.

Can Scotty go to the new station, and still call the Lions for 1040 though?

I think the best morning duo was Scotty and Ferraro. They were only on for six months, but they were really good. And Ray knew hockey!

Captain Bowie

Jan 18, 2012
I haven't minded the morning show this week, but still have to change the station over to CFOX when "The Champ" comes on for those Bernhausen ads. That whole shtick has got to be the lamest thing on the radio.

Samzilla

Prust & Dorsett are
Apr 2, 2011
I haven't minded the morning show this week, but still have to change the station over to CFOX when "The Champ" comes on for those Bernhausen ads. That whole shtick has got to be the lamest thing on the radio.

god, tell me about it. oh look, it's the champ with a "hilarious" misunderstanding of something mundane. oh look, he's resorting to violence due to this misunderstanding...ha...ha......ha?

Captain Bowie

Jan 18, 2012
The champ was relevant 15 years ago

Was it? I remember listening to it as a kid (OK closer to 20 years ago) as my dad drove me to school in the mornings and thinking it was dumb then.

god, tell me about it. oh look, it's the champ with a "hilarious" misunderstanding of something mundane. oh look, he's resorting to violence due to this misunderstanding...ha...ha......ha?

"Your piston is broken and your wife's rear end is sagging"

Like was it written by a 12 year-old?

Hackett

BAKAMAN
Mar 4, 2002
Visit site
I remember Champ from the 90's. He used to come on during Dan Russel's Sportstalk on Rock 101, I think. It wasn't until a few years ago that I found out it was Jake's thing.

Egghead1999

Nov 9, 2007
Can Scotty go to the new station, and still call the Lions for 1040 though?

I think the best morning duo was Scotty and Ferraro. They were only on for six months, but they were really good. And Ray knew hockey!
taylor said today was scotty last game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad