Vancouver Playoff Odds

Dead Cat Bounce

Dec 30, 2013
Dallas added more than 100P by getting Spezza and Hemsky.

Having those two on board means Seguin and Benn will get easier matchups.

Jeebus.

If Nichuhskin keeps developing they will be lethal.

Scouter

Oct 21, 2007
Right now...
The team is about a bubble team...
At best...
So 50-50 is about right.
However...
One or two injuries later...
And it will all go down a can.
The team has absolutely no depth...
So there are a lot of variables.
It could be a Colorado situation...
Or it could be more of the same.

There is some forward and goalie depth, however the D depth needs to be addressed.

ddawg1950

Jul 2, 2010
Pender Island, BC Palm Desert, CA
Yeah, I'm one of the ones that sees Dallas continuing to advance. Good roster, well coached and managed.

But SJ is about to go into decline; Colorado and Minney could easily fall back and I don't see any of the sweat hogs that missed the playoffs last year advancing to the top eight. So there is room in there.

I think we have a reasonable chance of making it...which makes it seems like we are a bubble team. And perhaps we are.

But the whole thing went off the cliff last year. I still see lots of quality on this roster and history has shown the right coach can get results. So maybe we once again become more than just a bubble team.

It is not unrealistic to see a turnaround just as significant as last year's meltdown.

kurt

the last emperor
Sep 11, 2004
Victoria
Canucks could finish anywhere from 8-12 IMO. Those odds are surprisingly decent. If you bet against them you'll get a tidy return.

Right now...
The team is about a bubble team...
At best...
So 50-50 is about right.
However...
One or two injuries later...
And it will all go down a can.
The team has absolutely no depth...
So there are a lot of variables.
It could be a Colorado situation...
Or it could be more of the same.

What is this, song lyrics?

kurt

the last emperor
Sep 11, 2004
Victoria
Yeah, I'm one of the ones that sees Dallas continuing to advance. Good roster, well coached and managed.

But SJ is about to go into decline; Colorado and Minney could easily fall back and I don't see any of the sweat hogs that missed the playoffs last year advancing to the top eight. So there is room in there.

I think we have a reasonable chance of making it...which makes it seems like we are a bubble team. And perhaps we are.

But the whole thing went off the cliff last year. I still see lots of quality on this roster and history has shown the right coach can get results. So maybe we once again become more than just a bubble team.

It is not unrealistic to see a turnaround just as significant as last year's meltdown.

History has shown the right coach can ride a downward curve of team capability while dominating a famously terrible division en route to consecutive first round collapses, while his roster slowly eroded and dismantled to the current state.

I'm tired of all this propaganda about how last year's regression was just a mirage caused by coaching.

How Ya Drouin

12/08/13 GM GamesRIP
Apr 24, 2013
Ontario
Canucks could finish anywhere from 8-12 IMO. Those odds are surprisingly decent. If you bet against them you'll get a tidy return.

What is this, song lyrics?

You must be new, that's what nameless does. (I know you're not new, just a saying)

Anyways, I'll give the Canucks a 20% chance of making the playoffs.

Last edited:

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
I think we got more than a fair shot at the play-offs. I would take a 50/50 bet all day long.

Anaheim, St. Louis, LA and Chicago are far better teams and unless something very strange happens we won't beat them. LA tend to do better in the play-offs than during the regular season, but I can't see them dropping below 8th.

Dallas look good, but I don't really see them being that much better than us. Seguin and Benn are excellent, but unless Spezza becomes a 80-90 point player again I think we match up fairly well to them overall.

Love Minnesota's first line. And I think Granlund is a genius (at least he is on European ice) that finally might start to live up to his promise in NA. As long as Suter plays 30mins every night and their goalkeeping stays solid we will struggle to catch up with Minnesota. They are desperately dependent on Suter defensively though. A Suter injury and I could very well see us ending up ahead of Minnesota.

Colorado I can't really understand did as well as they did last year. Could obviously still make it to the play-offs. Both Duchene and MacKinnon could very well end up with close to 100 points - if so they will do very well in the regular season (doubt they will do well in the play-offs with the current roster).

SJ are a bit like us - key players getting older. Don't like their depth.

To me it is most likely SJ or us ending up 8th, but I could very well see Dallas, Colorado or Minnesota dropping out if they get somewhat derailed for whatever reason (a bit like we did last year). If we start off with the energy and enthusiasm we saw from Colorado and SJ last season I'm very confident we'll make it. And I could see that happening with a new coach and hopefully a winger that supplements the Sedins' well.

In the East we would be 90% certain to end up in the play-offs.

pahlsson

Mar 22, 2012
too many good teams in the west

would need 2+ playoff teams from last year to have a down year and all the non-playoff teams to stay the same

bo2shink*

I would need 150:1 odds to consider putting a bet.

And I bet (with decent odds) your savings are buried in your back yard because the banks are too risky.

If you are this sure, you should bet on the to MISS the playoffs. Get a shovel.

kurt

the last emperor
Sep 11, 2004
Victoria
I can't fathom the Canucks beating the Blackhawks in the standings. The Ducks and Blues are taking some chances with their goaltending this year, and the Kings' style doesn't seem suited to be as dominant in the regular season, but I still peg them above the Canucks. That puts the top 4 spots basically out of reach in my mind.

Dallas has added loads of depth, but Lehtonen has been injury prone. Minnesota has a great roster and great goaltending, but relies heavily on Suter at the blueline. Colorado lost Stastny but MacKinnon is the real deal and Iginla will score goals. They may need to add to their blueline but have $10 million in cap space. The Sharks lost Havlat and Boyle, but both guys have declined and the team has cap space to work with. They may still be looking to make moves, and have a strong push of young talent. The Canucks could possibly catch one of these teams with a little luck, but I wouldn't bet on it. That puts 8 spots likely out of reach, though a lot could change with injuries and losing streaks.

I expect the Predators to take a step forward this year with a healthy Rinne, addition of Neal, and $15 million in cap space. Phoenix always seems to have respectable seasons despite a lack of top end talent up front. This is the tier I see the Canucks in right now.

I expect the Flames, Oilers and Jets to round out the bottom. The Oilers may start to emerge as a competitive team, and the Jets have cap space and are a goalie upgrade away from being promoted to a higher tier too, but until I see improvement I'm not betting on it happening. The Flames are rebuilding.

kurt

the last emperor
Sep 11, 2004
Victoria
This thread is premature, I hope. The roster isn't set, yet (I hope).

Current roster? No chance of playoffs.

Not too sure how much more can change with all the NTCs, low value of Burrows & Edler, and the cap burned on Lu & Miller.

EDIT: It would be nice if a team like the Pens, Caps or Flyers overpaid for a guy like Bieksa or Hamhuis and they agreed to go.

Last edited:

iloveloov*

1337 intangibles
Apr 24, 2013
Leafs & Canucks
It all depends on how Vrbata, Daniel, Edler, and Miller play. If 3/4 of them have a good year they'll be in the mix, they do have the depth next year.

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
I think colorado or san jose slip if anyone does.

CP

Thou shalt not Tank
Mar 8, 2008
It all depends on how Vrbata, Daniel, Edler, and Miller play. If 3/4 of them have a good year they'll be in the mix, they do have the depth next year.

I'd cut that down to Daniel and Edler. If they come roaring back to their career averages the Canucks have a great shot at the playoffs. If not, they likely won't make it.

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
Dallas is hardly a lock either

I would say its very good money to say the Canucks finish behind LA, Anaheim, Chicago, St. Louis

then a pretty good bet they're behind San Jose & Colorado

then it's debatable that they're behind Dallas & Minny

so I's say most likely finish range is 7-10

Dallas had some injuries and still managed to get into 8th. In the off season all they did was add roughly 100 points to their roster, if not more. They are absolutely a lock unless injuries derail their season.

I think our only shot is if Minnesota or Colorado struggle and/or most of our roster rebounds from last season, in particular Daniel and Edler. That said, I don't like our chances if we actually do scrap our way in.

Scurr

Jun 25, 2009
Whalley
I like it when people who have no intention of ever betting try their hand at setting odds. It's like playing poker for no money... it just doesn't mean anything.

If someone really felt the Canucks were only 30% to make the playoffs they'd bet the farm against them. For context... a "winner" betting on football games is lucky to come in around 60% over the long haul. A bet you think has a 70% chance at coming in for even money is a great spot.

Who's putting their money where their mouth is?

kurt

the last emperor
Sep 11, 2004
Victoria
I like it when people who have no intention of ever betting try their hand at setting odds. It's like playing poker for no money... it just doesn't mean anything.

If someone really felt the Canucks were only 30% to make the playoffs they'd bet the farm against them. For context... a "winner" betting on football games is lucky to come in around 60% over the long haul. A bet you think has a 70% chance at coming in for even money is a great spot.

Who's putting their money where their mouth is?

I only found lines that pay about $85 on a $100 bet. Where is the 50/50 line? I'll put money down against them.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad