Vancouver Playoff Odds

RIP Boogaard

Dec 3, 2013
First thread. In no way am I asking for advice, or encouraging gambling. Betting site Bovada (Formerly Bodog) has the odds of Vancouver making the playoffs at 50/50. What are your thoughts on that? It seems like Vegas is expecting a big bounce back. Where would you put your money?

nameless1

Apr 29, 2009
Right now...
The team is about a bubble team...
At best...
So 50-50 is about right.
However...
One or two injuries later...
And it will all go down a can.
The team has absolutely no depth...
So there are a lot of variables.
It could be a Colorado situation...
Or it could be more of the same.

MegaSpiderman66

Oct 11, 2011
I guess 50/50 is a good a guess as any. With all the changes this off season it's almost impossible to say where they will exactly end up. I have a feeling this club either takes off and plays great, or crashes and burns and mcdavid becomes all the talk.

RIP Boogaard

Dec 3, 2013
I guess 50/50 is a good a guess as any. With all the changes this off season it's almost impossible to say where they will exactly end up. I have a feeling this club either takes off and plays great, or crashes and burns and mcdavid becomes all the talk.

That is why I thought it was interesting. It would be really tough for me to put odds on it. So many variables. So many moving pieces.

coastal_nuck

Jun 28, 2006
Don't think we'll make it this year. The rest of the teams in the conference have either improved or are likely to continue their strong play from the prior year. In no particular order:

1. LA
2. Anaheim
3. San jose
4. Chicago
5. Dallas
6. Colorado
7. Minnesota
8. St. Louis

The only one I see being bumped is potentially Minnesota.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Don't think we'll make it this year. The rest of the teams in the conference have either improved or are likely to continue their strong play from the prior year. In no particular order:

1. LA
2. Anaheim
3. San jose
4. Chicago
5. Dallas
6. Colorado
7. Minnesota
8. St. Louis

On paper yes but something always goes wrong for someone. It's very rare that the exact same 8 teams make it to the playoffs from one year to the next... is there even an example of this happening?

That's where you would expect Vancouver to slip in. Higher chance at being the #9/10 team, ready to step back in should one of last seasons top 8 stumble.

coastal_nuck

Jun 28, 2006
On paper yes but something always goes wrong for someone. It's very rare that the exact same 8 teams make it to the playoffs from one year to the next... is there even an example of this happening?

That's where you would expect Vancouver to slip in. Higher chance at being the #9/10 team, ready to step back in should one of last seasons top 8 stumble.

Agreed but you have to apply the same thinking to us as well. Can't have it both ways. I think we're more than likely to stumble than challenge this year. Just personal opinion anyway.

Sharpshooter

Dec 14, 2011

I think most of those teams are trending upwards, whereas the Canucks roster is a hodge-podge of stop-gap players. I suspect they could sneak into the last spot, should things go very awry for Minny or other bottom seeded projected teams, but I don't the Nucks making the playoffs this or next season. They could slip in though...and then get booted out like some kid with a fake ID at a club. Even if they sneak in, they're playoff pretenders, not contenders. I don't believe you think they're contenders either fyi.

I think that list is realistic though.

Edit - No way STL finishes below Minny.

Last edited:

EXTRAS

Jul 31, 2012

This is kinda assuming we are the #9 team. Remember, we had the worst record inthe league in 2014.

Sure, a team could fall, but edmontons scoring could finally begin firing on all cylinders, or nashvilles defense could stonewall everyone.

I think it takes a miracle for us to get in this season - thank god. Thank god cuz we couldn't do any damage in theplayoffs anyway, and wecould usea top5 draft pick.

Sure, Benning added vrbata and miller, but those guys are stop gaps.

It's funny, cuz in the east the canucks would not only have a chance at the playoffs, but may be able to get through a few rounds. Does anyone remember the last time one conference seemed to be so much stronger than the other? The west seems to be filled with well built teams, while the east has Boston who people may consider a legitimately all around good team.

KeninsFan

Fire Benning already
Feb 6, 2012

We're not the only bubble team competing though. NSH with a full season of Rinne are a bubble team and the Coyotes are always there.

50/50 isn't what I would put our odds at either, it seems like what VKW was alluding to.

Habitat

Mar 8, 2010
Winnipeg
Why does everyone think san jose is an auto lock? They lose boyle. They added no one this year. Lost havlat and thorton/marlueau aint getting younger.

NYVanfan

Mar 27, 2002
Visit site
Dallas is hardly a lock either

I would say its very good money to say the Canucks finish behind LA, Anaheim, Chicago, St. Louis

then a pretty good bet they're behind San Jose & Colorado

then it's debatable that they're behind Dallas & Minny

so I's say most likely finish range is 7-10

Dead Cat Bounce

Dec 30, 2013

1. LA
2. Anaheim
3. San jose
4. Chicago
5. Dallas
6. Colorado
7. Minnesota
8. St. Louis

Minnesota is much better by replacing Heatley with Vanek. (and progression of their young talent),

The most vulnerable teams are SJ (who knows what's going on there?) and Colorado (poor underlying numbers).

If the Canucks win 5 more games they should be in the hunt but it won't be easy.

deckercky

Oct 27, 2010
I'd bet against Vancouver if given 50/50 odds. I see Vancouver having about a 30% chance of making it. Vancouver needs to beat San Jose, or be better than 3 of Dallas, Colorado, Minnesota and Nashville (eg, take wildcard from a bubble central team).

It's doable. Not likely, but not unrealistic to happen by any means. Central teams will have a brutal time against each other, and the bubble teams all have some pretty big flaws in their lineup that could cause them to fall out with a bad luck streak and/or some key injuries.

Zarpan

Apr 27, 2010
Vancouver
50/50 is what I had in mind before opening this thread, although I'd probably be more likely to commit money to not making the playoffs if I had to choose at those odds.

One thing in Vancouver's favour is that shooting percentage regression to the mean should more than offset the weaker roster on paper. A lot will depend on luck in avoiding injuries, some players getting their heads screwed on correctly and the younger players continuing to develop.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Dallas is hardly a lock either

I would say its very good money to say the Canucks finish behind LA, Anaheim, Chicago, St. Louis

then a pretty good bet they're behind San Jose & Colorado

then it's debatable that they're behind Dallas & Minny

so I's say most likely finish range is 7-10

If Lehtonen gets injured they have to fallback to the goalie that turned the 3rd highest scoring team in the league into one that finished 3rd last.

discordant concord

Jan 13, 2010
Temples of Syrinx
Basically, it's possible but unlikely. Look at the other rosters. We just don't have their depth.

Miller will need to have a great season and recieve Vezina consideration. Think .920, 2.25 GAA, regardless of how many games Lack gets. Vrbata and one of Burrows/Kassian/Jensen will need to combine for about 50 goals. Bonino will need to score 45-50 points. Sedins need to combine for 130 points minimum.

Our penalty kill will take a hit, so our PP will need to improve. We'll need one of our D-man to score about 12 goals or so.

If all else fails, maybe a Spezza, Parise, or Duchene type player on another team is injured for 30-50 games or so...

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad