Proposal: Vancouver-ottawa

Rowlet

Sponsor
Oct 13, 2018
It'll cost too much, the way to get young players outperforming their ELC's is to draft them, or to trade futures for them when you're an elite team. The Sens don't need to compete and there's no reason to trade young guys like these unless it's in a package for something drastically better.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Lol you think I haven’t thought this out already? There is no scenario where trading Demko makes sense. If we sign Markstrom it will be without an NMC and if anyone is gettinf traded, it will be him or else he will be exposed in the expansion draft. And if he doesn’t agree to that, then he leaves as a ufa. And we suddenly have enough cap space to bring back Tanev and Toffoli.
So you didnt read my post?

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Lol you think I haven’t thought this out already? There is no scenario where trading Demko makes sense. If we sign Markstrom it will be without an NMC and if anyone is gettinf traded, it will be him or else he will be exposed in the expansion draft. And if he doesn’t agree to that, then he leaves as a ufa. And we suddenly have enough cap space to bring back Tanev and Toffoli.
Not signing Marky means either trading fir or signing a UFA goalie to share the load with Demko. That guy costs minimum 3-4 mil. So really the cap savings is only a couple million. That’s not enough to sign even half of one Tofoli.
In that scenario I can see Demko used as sweetener to dump Loui, and Ottawa could be a target fir such a deal. Loui counts 6 million on next season’s cap, but only gets paid one million in actual dollars. Demko is paid one million too. So Melnyk gets to count 7 million against his cap, pay out only 2 million, and get a great young goalie.

elitepete

Jan 30, 2017
Vancouver
Not signing Marky means either trading fir or signing a UFA goalie to share the load with Demko. That guy costs minimum 3-4 mil. So really the cap savings is only a couple million. That’s not enough to sign even half of one Tofoli.
In that scenario I can see Demko used as sweetener to dump Loui, and Ottawa could be a target fir such a deal. Loui counts 6 million on next season’s cap, but only gets paid one million in actual dollars. Demko is paid one million too. So Melnyk gets to count 7 million against his cap, pay out only 2 million, and get a great young goalie.
That is an absolutely terrible idea. An adequate backup will cost below 2.5million. We cap free up more money using other methods like buying out sutter.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad