Vancouver Media Thread IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Pretty much grabbed anyone who was a sports news anchor for a local station. Some are only good for their 10 minutes of tv time not 3 hours of radio.
I made the attempt to listen to Rintoul this morning. Figured I could put up with his whining (sounding) voice to listen to Canuck’s talk. 650 has the broadcast rights, so I figured for sure he will talk Hockey, right? 15 minutes and all politics and crap. Not worth listening to. And 650 wonders why no one listens to this guy.

Reverend Mayhem

Lowly Serf/Reluctant Cuckold
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC
I feel SN 650 didn’t have the Canuck’s rights it would be an all weather station. Just God awful hosts, and programming.

It's fairly consistent with Rogers other endeavors though. Sucking up all the money they possibly can with as little quality needed as possible to back it up.

I actually don't mind 650 though. Though during the lockdown, I found myself tuning into 1040 more.

Reactions: Luckylarry

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
I made the attempt to listen to Rintoul this morning. Figured I could put up with his whining (sounding) voice to listen to Canuck’s talk. 650 has the broadcast rights, so I figured for sure he will talk Hockey, right? 15 minutes and all politics and crap. Not worth listening to. And 650 wonders why no one listens to this guy.

To be fair, yesterday's events were a pretty big news story. I imagine some of the hosts on 1040 will speak about it too.

Reactions: Sneezy and skeena1

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
While fair in validity, people tend to tune into sports radio for sports.

For sure, but I was just making the point that it's probably not limited to only 650. I can almost hear Matt Sekeres voice already talking about it.

Reactions: VanillaCoke

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
TSN was literally breaking into Covid-19 updates every day at 3pm for months and they would often last up to 15 minutes. So yeah, both stations have definitely been prioritizing some things over sports.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
To be fair, yesterday's events were a pretty big news story. I imagine some of the hosts on 1040 will speak about it too.
We already have an all news station in 11:30, and CKNW is pretty much all news too, right? 650 (and 1040 too) discussing non spirts related news events would be like Virgin kid’s pop music radio playing country. Their listeners would very soon tune out.
These are sports stations. Stick to news that pertains to sports. As for 650, I like Deep, and Sat, so listen to those afternoon shows. From noon on it’s 650 for me. I would listen to Rinoul too, and put up with his nasty voice, if he talked hockey. He’s too much into football and basketball, when he’s not opining on non-sports news.

Egghead1999

Nov 9, 2007
I hate that too; with all due respect, do not like they have any insight into the matter anyway. They should talk Canucks 24 x 7 since that is their bread and butter.

Egghead1999

Nov 9, 2007
Weirdly, it didn't come up on Sekeres and Price yesterday until a few hours in when a call-in guest brought it up.
It is becasue He has Dhaliwal for this week. Also, the topic did not come upon don and moj too. Yes, it is weird. TSN's sportscentre and Jay and Dan had it as their top story, and it was backfired. :oops:

TSN was literally breaking into Covid-19 updates every day at 3pm for months and they would often last up to 15 minutes. So yeah, both stations have definitely been prioritizing some things over sports.
Sekeres believes it is a PA service. When Sekeres is on holiday, no Dr.Bonnie Henry press conferences live.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
hmm, no need to, just google what NBA players, coaches comment on yesterday's event; mind you both shows were air around 9:00 PM PST.
Holy Moly! Insane! Our sports stations should stick to sports. These guys aren’t political reporters, and shouldn’t pretend to be.

Egghead1999

Nov 9, 2007
Leafs have their scrimmage on both networks. But, we cannot have at least one Canucks scrimmage on Sportsnet, especially not like Sportsnet has too many shows but too few stations.

Egghead1999

Nov 9, 2007
Without taking sides or getting political, I do think there are some things that require more attention than sports, even for sports radio.

Might get flamed for it, but sports are a good distraction from real life but real life does need to be confronted every now and then.
First of all, I have no problem with political topics. My problem is that most of them know little to nothing about the issue, especially those three wise men at the mid-day show. It is worse than bro jake's canuck analyst in the morning show So, it is better to report them in the update segment only.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Holy Moly! Insane! Our sports stations should stick to sports. These guys aren’t political reporters, and shouldn’t pretend to be.

Without taking sides or getting political, I do think there are some things that require more attention than sports, even for sports radio.

Might get flamed for it, but sports are a good distraction from real life but real life does need to be confronted every now and then.

Sports and politics (like it or not) have become intertwined. We can say that sports radio should stick with sports but there is often a fine line. BLM solidarity protests where league games are cancelled becomes a topic that is relevant to sports. What BLM stands for might not be a sports topic but it does lead to discussion on discrimination in sports etc. Certainly, the league and players deciding to cancel their scheduled games is a topic fit for sports talk radio. To a lesser extent, discussion over NBA stars' commentary (especially if it's controversial) can be considered relevant to sports because the discussion centers around a sports star.

If Austen Matthews was a Lebron James level celebrity, him getting drunk and exposing his butt to a lady is more relevant to TMZ than sports talk radio, but do you really think sports talk radio stations should not discuss this incident? Same with Don Cherry's firing. Clearly those who have watched Coach's Corner for years or decades would have thoughts on the matter and the discussion is of significant interest to most hockey fans.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Sports and politics (like it or not) have become intertwined. We can say that sports radio should stick with sports but there is often a fine line. BLM solidarity protests where league games are cancelled becomes a topic that is relevant to sports. What BLM stands for might not be a sports topic but it does lead to discussion on discrimination in sports etc. Certainly, the league and players deciding to cancel their scheduled games is a topic fit for sports talk radio. To a lesser extent, discussion over NBA stars' commentary (especially if it's controversial) can be considered relevant to sports because the discussion centers around a sports star.

If Austen Matthews was a Lebron James level celebrity, him getting drunk and exposing his butt to a lady is more relevant to TMZ than sports talk radio, but do you really think sports talk radio stations should not discuss this incident? Same with Don Cherry's firing. Clearly those who have watched Coach's Corner for years or decades would have thoughts on the matter and the discussion is of significant interest to most hockey fans.
When sports and political stuff cross it makes sense to discuss such issues on sport’s radio. If it’s a news story that is not sports related, then why discuss that on a sports station. For example BLM is important in the States, but in our market (mostly all of
Canada) this would be more a native people thing, right?

Egghead1999

Nov 9, 2007

First of all, I don't recall any show in Vancouver stations (correct me if I am wrong, plz) designated a whole segment to AM34 "buttgate", let alone a whole show. Also, you bring up a good example (Don Cherry). The shows at TSN1040 were good at that time. You know why; it is because the hosts, including the mid-day show hosts, understand the topic "deeply" and they can have a good discussion.

P.S. are we in the dangers yet?

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
When sports and political stuff cross it makes sense to discuss such issues on sport’s radio. If it’s a news story that is not sports related, then why discuss that on a sports station. For example BLM is important in the States, but in our market (mostly all of
Canada) this would be more a native people thing, right?

I know what you're trying to say, but I don't think "importance" is relevant here. Part of it is raising awareness. We talk a lot less about race here in Canada mostly because (I think) racial discrimination and racial injustices are lesser problems here than in the US but that doesn't mean they aren't problems. Now and then we hear about companies (such as Nike) producing their shoes in sweat shots. It's not an unreasonable discussion to talk about how the league and its players, for example, should be mindful of how their gear are made.

At the end of they day, the radio station is interested in discussing topics that listeners are interested in. A calculated guess would be that many listeners do pay attention to what's going on in the United States. Even if they aren't, sometimes, you do have to discuss topics that are harder to discuss because nowadays, if there's a big event happening in the world, it's a bit tone death to go about your business as usual without spending some time talking about it.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
First of all, I don't recall any show in Vancouver stations (correct me if I am wrong, plz) designated a whole segment to AM34 "buttgate", let alone a whole show. Also, you bring up a good example (Don Cherry). The shows at TSN1040 were good at that time. You know why; it is because the hosts, including the mid-day show hosts, understand the topic "deeply" and they can have a good discussion.

P.S. are we in the dangers yet?

I seem to remember "buttgate" being extensively talked about. I remember hearing Ray Ferraro talking about it.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
I know what you're trying to say, but I don't think "importance" is relevant here. Part of it is raising awareness. We talk a lot less about race here in Canada mostly because (I think) racial discrimination and racial injustices are lesser problems here than in the US but that doesn't mean they aren't problems. Now and then we hear about companies (such as Nike) producing their shoes in sweat shots. It's not an unreasonable discussion to talk about how the league and its players, for example, should be mindful of how their gear are made.

At the end of they day, the radio station is interested in discussing topics that listeners are interested in. A calculated guess would be that many listeners do pay attention to what's going on in the United States. Even if they aren't, sometimes, you do have to discuss topics that are harder to discuss because nowadays, if there's a big event happening in the world, it's a bit tone death to go about your business as usual without spending some time talking about it.
When the Kennedy boys, and Martin Luther King Jr were assassinated, and the Towers were attacked I would say that was news that transcended the sports/news boundary. These BLM protests, unless they are directly effecting sports (I guess the NBA might be the connection, with so many black players) I think the local sports stations should stick to sports, especially hockey. In Canada we have real issues with our native people not getting fair treatment. I can see that being talked about on our sports stations. The BLM ideals (maybe?) up here apply more to those native communities than to black people. I guess I feel we are (local sports stations) talking about a movement in the US that is super important down there, while neglecting covering the importance of the plight of our native peoples. Shouldn’t our stations, if not covering sports, be talking about issues that a Canadian - like our native issues of fair treatment?

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: F A N
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad