Speculation: The Team Presidency Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
I have no idea why Stecher signed with the Canucks (probably saw more of an opportunity to crack the roster)..Who knows.?..Citing the Hamhuis signing as some Gillis masterstroke is utterly hilarious.

Yes, the Ehrhoff trade was clearly Gillis' masterstroke.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
“We like the opportunity it presented from a hockey perspective”. Sounds like he liked the direction they were headed
"Hamhuis chose the Canucks in part because it gives him a chance to play close to home. He grew up in Smithers, a small town located 700 miles north of Vancouver, and played his junior hockey in Prince George, another town in the northern interior of British Columbia.
He said he took less money for the chance to be near home." NHL.com..July 1st,2010.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
..and Gillis promptly lost him to free agency..Canucks were never great after that..They could never replace him..masterstroke indeed.

The beginning of the end.

Gillis got a 4th round pick for a guy who they couldn't afford to re-sign. Ehrhoff was eventually bought out by the Sabres, do you remember that? Jeez, if Benning pulled off such a move you'd be singing him praises.

Gillis got a pick for a guy who was days away from UFA, while Benning can't even get picks for guys who are under contract.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
..and Gillis promptly lost him to free agency..Canucks were never great after that..They could never replace him..masterstroke indeed.

The beginning of the end.

That's beside the point.

Relative to the current conversation, what this team needs right now is an Ehrhoff-type trade. You think Benning will pull it off? I sure don't.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
To be fair Gillis didn’t get anything for Ohlund or Mitchell or Salo. Trading a player for negotiating rights went out the window a long time ago.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
To be fair Gillis didn’t get anything for Ohlund or Mitchell or Salo. Trading a player for negotiating rights went out the window a long time ago.

To be fair, Gillis had a team that was a legitimate playoff threat when those players were in their contract years. Benning's teams should be rebuilding, but instead he's so deluded he thinks he has a playoff threat and thus doesn't trade anyone for picks.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
Two of those three were replaced by Tanev and Hamhuis. And for two seasons Ehrhoff.

To be fair, Elmer replaced those guys with Bart-man, Guds, and Poo-liot.

And to be even more fair, one of those GMs was rightly canned while the other is still employed by the organization.

Last edited:

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
Yeah, just nobody make any Missing Child posters of Gaudreau. That'd be really infuriating, man.

That would be more embarrassing, yes. There are levels of embarrassment.

This thread is to discuss Ron Francis or Dean Lombardi as the potential president of the team, for 2020 or even later. And we are talking about Mike Gillis and f***ing Christin Ejrhoff and Ballard and Hamhuis. Again. Why? Because the same loser troll who literally does this to every single thread has gotten his way, again. He is 156-0 at this point, so yeah I'm sorry if I find that a little frustrating.

I opposed to both Ron Francis and Dean Lombardi for the record. Too old, too connected to the OBC.

Last edited:

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Unless I have the season's mixed up, wasn't Luongo pretty distracted that year (I seem to recall his wife going thru a difficult pregnancy). We'll never know for sure, but I think that had an impact on his performance that season.

I don't think Luongo was the same after the Anaheim series. Regardless, that team lacked talent and the Canucks were a trapping team until Gillis got AV to change. Even in 2008-2009, the team lacked secondary scoring and was too slow on the backend.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
And I'm sick of impressionable noobs who can be easily stepped on and dictated to by Aquaman. If this team is ever going to actually get good again, it's going to need a seasoned veteran GM in charge imho.

There is an issue either way: A progressive new voice gets walked on by Aquilini, but a GM re-tread still gets walked on by Aquilini. It's just that if the latter gets supplanted, Aquilini's reputation gets even more tarnished than it already is. That would be Aqua's hesitation in meddling. However, neither selection actually stops him from meddling. A bad owner does that regardless of who is there.

With Holland it would have been better because his record carries weight. Any word of meddling whatsoever, and Aquilini would have a bullseye painted on his back. Even more so if Holland was frustrated and left. It's not quite the same with a Francis selection.

Fire Benning

diaper filled piss baby
Oct 2, 2016
Hell
Why am I reading about Gillis? Did the former management/players thread get shutdown? This is embarrassing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad