Speculation: The Team Presidency Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
If that's how it plays out we might as well trade Horvat because his cheap contract will be wasted.

Yes, I think it's getting close to the point where new management, taking over in April 2020, will need to make the Horvat move if they're going to rebuild successfully. I can't foresee a change in the front office happening before then, and I also can't foresee the organization being in anything but worse shape at that point (more bad contracts, no extra picks). Can you?

Reactions: y2kcanucks

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
I think you are remembering things wrong. Gillis didn't negotiate sweetheart contracts for the Sedins. In fact, Gillis questioned whether they were front-line players and almost lost them if not for making a last minute trip to Sweden and last minute offer.

I don't remember the sentiment being that after the 2007-2008 season the Canucks were close to being contenders. The Sedins were seen as average 1st line players who didn't have the potential of Pettersson. Kesler was coming off a 21 goal 37 point season. He was not seen as a 2nd line C. That's why we were excited about Hodgson and Gillis going out and signing Sundin. If Gillis projected Kesler as a 2nd line Selke calibre C he would have gone out and signed Sundin. No one in their right minds would project Kesler to be a better 2nd line C than Horvat is now. Also, Edler was coming off a 20 point season and Bieksa played 34 games. The D was not good and Gillis' acquisitions of Hamhuis and Ehrhoff were keys.

That team missed the playoffs and for good reason. Brad Richards in his prime wouldn' t have made much difference.

I don't buy into that, and I'd say it buys into Aquilini's justification. In hindsight it was definitely the right call to replace Nonis with Gillis, but Aquilini coming out and mumbling about missing the playoffs 2/3 years and unacceptable was the wrong reason. The 2006-07/105 point Canucks and the 2007-08/88 point Canucks were fundamentally the same team, one just stayed healthy and the other got hit with a ton of injuries. We were solid on the blue line and in net but were really thin up front, with Naslund and Morrison declining and still no replacements for Bertuzzi and Carter, the latter two being the cap constraint trade-off to having Luongo.

Reactions: Hockeyphysio

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Do you have a source for Hamhuis coming here anyways?
" But Hamhuis wanted to come home, so that transaction needs an asterisk. It's the same as Zach Parise and Ryan Suter wanting to go to Minnesota for family reasons or Scott Niedermayer joining the Ducks in 2005 so he could play with his brother Rob. That's an accident of geography, not astute planning. In Ehrhoff's case, they got two good seasons out of him before the Canucks let him go for salary-cap reasons of their own."...Globe and Mail,April 8,2014.

TruKnyte

On the wagon
Jan 1, 2012
Vancouver, BC
" But Hamhuis wanted to come home, so that transaction needs an asterisk. It's the same as Zach Parise and Ryan Suter wanting to go to Minnesota for family reasons or Scott Niedermayer joining the Ducks in 2005 so he could play with his brother Rob. That's an accident of geography, not astute planning. In Ehrhoff's case, they got two good seasons out of him before the Canucks let him go for salary-cap reasons of their own."...Globe and Mail,April 8,2014.

Link the the full article: Duhatschek: Why Mike Gillis deserved to be fired

So I guess we should be saying Nonis is actually better than Benning instead. :sarcasm:

Bojack Horvatman

IAMGROOT
Jun 15, 2016

It was guaranteed that Hamhuis would of signed here but, that amazing deal was no guarantee.

Ryp37

Nov 6, 2011

“We liked the fit in Vancouver. We liked the opportunity it presented from a hockey perspective and the lifestyle perspective for my family.”
Hamhuis also is excited about the chance of advancing past the first round of the playoffs, something he hasn’t done since playing junior hockey for the Prince George Cougars of the Western Hockey League.
“It’s been a long time since I’ve been out of the first round,” he said during a telephone conference call. “I hope to get past that with Vancouver and further.
“It’s a team that is committed to winning. You can see the way they spend their money. They sign close to the (salary) cap or right to the cap every year to give themselves the best chance to win. It’s exciting to be part of something like that.”

D-man Dan Hamhuis turns down more money from other teams to sign with Canucks - TheHockeyNews

This is like when people say Stecher only signed here because he's from Richmond then pastor will post that link of Stecher saying he signed because Benning didn't promise him ice time

aka who cares? You trying to discredit Gillis is always funny

FroshaugFan2

Dec 7, 2006
Crazy that both the Flyers and Penguins gave up assets for a few days of Hamhuis's negotiation rights given he was always guaranteed to sign with the Canucks.

I guess they should have checked with POM first.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
“We liked the fit in Vancouver. We liked the opportunity it presented from a hockey perspective and the lifestyle perspective for my family.”
Hamhuis also is excited about the chance of advancing past the first round of the playoffs, something he hasn’t done since playing junior hockey for the Prince George Cougars of the Western Hockey League.
“It’s been a long time since I’ve been out of the first round,” he said during a telephone conference call. “I hope to get past that with Vancouver and further.
“It’s a team that is committed to winning. You can see the way they spend their money. They sign close to the (salary) cap or right to the cap every year to give themselves the best chance to win. It’s exciting to be part of something like that.”

D-man Dan Hamhuis turns down more money from other teams to sign with Canucks - TheHockeyNews

This is like when people say Stecher only signed here because he's from Richmond then pastor will post that link of Stecher saying he signed because Benning didn't promise him ice time

aka who cares? You trying to discredit Gillis is always funny
You just confirmed my point ..He wanted to come back to BC...I dont even have to discredit Gillis..He was run out of town by the owners,Media and fans...pretty much speaks for itself.

Jay Cee

P4G
May 8, 2007
Halifax
Crazy that both the Flyers and Penguins gave up assets for a few days of Hamhuis's negotiation rights given he was always guaranteed to sign with the Canucks.

I guess they should have checked with POM first.

I would scarcely agree with him and I really don't but if anything that helps prove the theory more than disprove.

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014
Most free agents have reasons for signing in a certain place that are beyond the team's control and for which they can't take credit -- taxes, location, proximity to family, night life, etc. It's pointless to try to parse signings on that basis.

bandwagonesque

Mar 5, 2014
This is like when people say Stecher only signed here because he's from Richmond
It is -- and nearly all committed anti-Benning posters have done this in discussions about Stecher, and have refused to give the same concession you're asking for now. It's ridiculous no matter who does it.

Phenomenon13

Oct 10, 2011
GMs deserve the credit for all their transactions they complete under their tenure regardless of how easy/hard and good/bad it is. Gillis deserves the credit for Hamhuis and Benning deserves credit for Stecher.

bandwagonesque

Mar 5, 2014
So if stretcher was coming here anyway that means benning doesn’t deserve credit for him anyway which makes bennings best defensemen he signed in 5 years - Luke #7 dman Schenn correct @Pastor Of Muppetz

Still want to defend bennings great job?
Benning traded for Schenn, he didn't sign him. It's also worth mentioning that your implication that good GMs/contending teams usually have key defencemen acquired through free agency is unsubstantiated. Winnipeg has none. Toronto has Hainsey and Zaitsev. Tampa has Stralman. San Jose has Tim Heed. Vegas has none. Washington has Orpik and Niskanen.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
So if stretcher was coming here anyway that means benning doesn’t deserve credit for him anyway which makes bennings best defensemen he signed in 5 years - Luke #7 dman Schenn correct @Pastor Of Muppetz

Still want to defend bennings great job?
I have no idea why Stecher signed with the Canucks (probably saw more of an opportunity to crack the roster)..Who knows.?..Citing the Hamhuis signing as some Gillis masterstroke is utterly hilarious.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
From what I recall Dallas strung them along and backed out last second. Both ownerships had beef over the sale of the Canucks when Aquilini purchased them.
Elmer waited too long to try and move him. From what I recall, it was like shortly before the trade deadline. That not only limits the amount of possible trading partners (because of time contraints) but also puts the guy with a NTC to make a decision on whether to leave when he would prefer to stay with a ‘on the spot’ type of decision. Barely better than how he handled the Garrison situation, where he tried to work out a trade before even consulting a guy with a NTC first.

These situations expose just how green Benning was in this area of GMing.

bandwagonesque

Mar 5, 2014
Barely better than how he handled the Garrison situation, where he tried to work out a trade before even consulting a guy with a NTC first..
When he didn't trade Edler people complained it was likely because he hadn't approached Edler with a list of possible destinations, which would have required having trade discussions before actually confirming Edler would waive. People on this board on both sides are taking extremely limited information, emphasizing the details in it they believe support their view, then pretending it's conclusive evidence of something.

The Drop

Rain Drop, Drop Top
Jul 12, 2015
Vancouver
I mean, there’s no quote there from Hamhuis so that’s speculation. He never said he planned to come here

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Yes, I think it's getting close to the point where new management, taking over in April 2020, will need to make the Horvat move if they're going to rebuild successfully. I can't foresee a change in the front office happening before then, and I also can't foresee the organization being in anything but worse shape at that point (more bad contracts, no extra picks). Can you?
So we will follow Colorado and Horvat is our Duchene/ROR? Avs got duchene, Landy, MacK between 2009-2013. Canucks get Bo, Brock and Elias between 2013-2017.

Reactions: lindgren

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
I mean, there’s no quote there from Hamhuis so that’s speculation. He never said he planned to come here
”We did get some different offers from other teams,” said the 27-year-old who spent six seasons playing with the Nashville Predators. “Some of them were higher in contract value.

The Drop

Rain Drop, Drop Top
Jul 12, 2015
Vancouver
”We did get some different offers from other teams,” said the 27-year-old who spent six seasons playing with the Nashville Predators. “Some of them were higher in contract value.
“We like the opportunity it presented from a hockey perspective”. Sounds like he liked the direction they were headed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad