TSN: Vancouver Interested In Simmonds

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
I feel like theres a GM out there dumb enough to think that Simmonds is still a top 6 power forward. Hes been awful for a few years now. Hes worth rolling the dice on as a UFA but trading assets for him? That's madness. Hes maybe worth a 4th and somehow the Devils will squeeze a 3rd, maybe a 2nd from someone.

Rey

Jan 11, 2007
Simmonds sucks but maybe he can teach a guy like Horvat how to park in front of the net on the PP, like Kesler used to do. Could use his toughness too. Totally fits on the Canucks team.

Bettman Returnz

Why so serious?
Jul 28, 2003
BC
Visit site
Devils do this deal as they are rebuilding... grab a pick in a deep draft. Especially if Simmonds isn’t in their long term plans. Makes perfect sense. I mean If they can get more then I wouldn’t blame them doing a deal else where. But Simmonds is not the same player he was 5yrs ago (and he’s a rental).

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
I mean, the second is conditional on playoff success... hard to be too upset about that.

Ideally it would be Schaller/Baertschi/3rd (no conditions) but why does NJ do that?

Schaller has no value and Devils may be able to get a 3rd for Simmonds elsewhere without having to take on a cap dump that eats away at cap space into next year.

You don't have your first available, so NJ would ask for Demko, as anything else, which fits the Devils needs and timeline, is too much or not enough.

There is zero point in the Devils going after Demko as they would just lose him or Blackwood a year from now in the expansion draft.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
This thread is painful to read. No one is suggesting a large price for Simmonds and his contact is expiring. He'd be a solid depth pickup for a lot of teams for a playoff run, as he would cost next to nothing.

Is anyone stating that Vancouver should throw a lot of resources at this? Is anyone stating that Simmonds is a good top 6 forward?

Simmonds, at this point, is a mid-six player, who can bring .4 PPG and physical presence.

Reactions: HBK27

JAK

Non-registered User
Jul 10, 2010
Sports media personalities just loves to screw with Canucks fans.

Do they get a split from HFBoards and rev?

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
You don't have your first available, so NJ would ask for Demko, as anything else, which fits the Devils needs and timeline, is too much or not enough.
I think the Canucks are most willing to move non-roster prospects and picks because they would need to keep Demko for a stretch run.
Just because the Canucks have their first locked up in a conditional trade with Tampa doesn't mean the Canucks don't have assets.

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
NJ could easily swallow the Baertschi contract. If you want to include Baertschi or any unwanted piece with term, you upgrade your offer elsewhere, though. Dumping Baertschi alone warrants at least a third round pick.
The Canucks would rather buy out/trade Sutter in the offseason than give up an asset to move Baertschi imo.

FreeMcdavid

Dec 30, 2019
had pass if its going to cost more than a 4th.

Hoping the Canucks leaked this info to gain leverage with a different GM for a different player.

I dont need your player (secretly i do) because im interested in Simmonds.

Jerzey Devil

Jerzey-Duz-It
Jun 11, 2010
St. Augustine, FL
How is your cap next year? Would you take on Baertschi with a nice add from the Canucks?

Yeah if it gets us a better return I think NJ will have the room to make it work. With Simmonds, Vatanen, and probably Greene off the books next year we should have a lot of cap space. That’s almost 15 million in cap space right there.

Offseason Champs

May 16, 2011
NJ fans, how is he on the PP? I feel he would be an upgrade in terms of net presence.
I liked them bringing in Simmonds but the guy has lost more than a step and he can’t buy points even on the PP. On the Canucks power play maybe he would be more useful but on our garbage PP he doesn’t really do a lot that I can see. He parks in front of the net and he’s strong there but no finish. Could be his skills or our horribly run system; hard to know for certain.

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
Baerschi + 3rd for Simmonds?

Can't see NJ doing that.

Even if the Devils have the cap space next season to absorb Baerschi's hit, you're still asking ownership to pick up the tab on the $3MM+ he's still owed in salary. For what? To get a 3rd round instead of a 4th rounder (or 5th rounder) for Simmonds? Not worth it.

Cap space has more value than that.

Reactions: DS7

innitfam

Oct 18, 2017
Updated offer:

to :devils

Tim Schaller
Sven Baertschi (40% retained)
2020 VAN 3RD
2021 VAN 5TH (conditional 4TH on VAN advancing to WCF in 2020 OR Simmonds re-signs in VAN OR if VAN advances to SCF in either 2020 or 2021 with Simmonds on roster, becomes 2021 VAN 3RD)

to :nucks

Wayne Simmonds (50% retained)
2021 NJ 6TH (becomes 2021 NJ 5TH conditional on Baertschi playing 70 games with New Jersey between time of trade and end of 20-21 season OR if this condition not met, but 2021 VAN 3RD OR 2021 VAN 4TH conditions are met)

Why :nucks do this:

Canucks get Simmonds for a playoff run, allow Baertschi to try and revive his NHL career. Canucks save ~$2M on the cap next year (vs 925k if status quo for Baertschi, or $1.6M savings for a buyout + avoiding buyout cost for 21-22 of 800k).

Why :devils do this:

Devils get a 3RD, and Baertschi at ~$2M for next season. Low cost, low risk, potential high reward. Possibly an additional pick if conditions met, and at the very least an upgraded pick. Schaller is an expiring contract who would need to be swapped to make room for Simmonds on the roster.

So, there are a lot of conditions and moving parts... but I think both teams would do this, overall. To be honest, I don't know if there are any pick restrictions applying on NJ's side... might render the whole thing moot.

edit: removed Goldobin + NJ contract filler from trade

Last edited:

dellzor

Bo Horvat's Head
Nov 21, 2016
Vancouver, BC
This doesn't make too much sense given our forward depth. Even if both Ferland and Motte are out for the rest of the year, Leivo should be back before the playoffs.

A bottom 6 of:

Roussel - Gaudette - Virtanen/Leivo
Schaller/MacEwan - Beagle - Sutter

is fine to roll with.

If we need top 6 help, I'd rather just give Baer or Goldobin another shot than give up an asset for a player who clearly has lost a step.
have u watched our bottom 6? it's actually been atrocious

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
have u watched our bottom 6? it's actually been atrocious

That's not really the point though. Unless we are lucky enough to have a team dumb enough to take on Beagle/Sutter, they aren't going anywhere. I don't foresee us scratching either of them based on their contracts. So we're stuck with them.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad