Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site
Updated offer:

to :devils

Tim Schaller
Sven Baertschi (40% retained)
2020 VAN 3RD
2021 VAN 5TH (conditional 4TH on VAN advancing to WCF in 2020 OR Simmonds re-signs in VAN OR if VAN advances to SCF in either 2020 or 2021 with Simmonds on roster, becomes 2021 VAN 3RD)

to :nucks

Wayne Simmonds (50% retained)
2021 NJ 6TH (becomes 2021 NJ 5TH conditional on Baertschi playing 70 games with New Jersey between time of trade and end of 20-21 season OR if this condition not met, but 2021 VAN 3RD OR 2021 VAN 4TH conditions are met)

Why :nucks do this:

Canucks get Simmonds for a playoff run, allow Baertschi to try and revive his NHL career. Canucks save ~$2M on the cap next year (vs 925k if status quo for Baertschi, or $1.6M savings for a buyout + avoiding buyout cost for 21-22 of 800k).

Why :devils do this:

Devils get a 3RD, and Baertschi at ~$2M for next season. Low cost, low risk, potential high reward. Possibly an additional pick if conditions met, and at the very least an upgraded pick. Schaller is an expiring contract who would need to be swapped to make room for Simmonds on the roster.

So, there are a lot of conditions and moving parts... but I think both teams would do this, overall. To be honest, I don't know if there are any pick restrictions applying on NJ's side... might render the whole thing moot.

edit: removed Goldobin + NJ contract filler from trade

I almost died of boredom reading all that. I think Simmer costs a 3rd round pick. If Vancouver wants NJ to take Baertschi, it's a 2nd. I don't think NJ is interested in a deal where the Magna Carta determines if the pick is a late 5th rounder or late 3rd.

(NJ can take Schaller back to make the money work, that's not an issue.)

Reactions: HBK27

innitfam

Oct 18, 2017
I almost died of boredom reading all that. I think Simmer costs a 3rd round pick. If Vancouver wants NJ to take Baertschi, it's a 2nd. I don't think NJ is interested in a deal where the Magna Carta determines if the pick is a late 5th rounder or late 3rd.

I mean sure, yeah. Drop some picks and conditions. Makes it easier. I think Baertschi at 40% retained makes the idea of also paying a 2nd too steep. May as well just buy him out.

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
30 point winger for 5m? Do it Canucks haha
He only signed for this year and salary is pro rated and Devils could /would retain ,not sure why even try trolling by bringing up salary .
Some team could use him in their bottom 6 for depth and grit . He isn’t a 30g player anymore obviously but still has use

Reactions: Canadian Canuck

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014
Devils interested in prospects too? Or just picks?

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Simmonds returned a 4th + Hartman last season so don't expect much more than that now. Probably 3rd + 5th at most.

BWJM

Sponsor
Mar 16, 2011
I’d do it from the Canucks side if we could move Baertschi. Gives him another top 6 opportunity and we get some grit.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014
Prospects are like picks that are a little closer the NHL. Lay em on us.
Sutter, Jasek and a 2022 5th for retained Simmonds. You guys get a extra year of Sutter veteran leadership, Jasek is a diamond in the rough but this year his development screwed up by Canuck management

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site
Sutter, Jasek and a 2022 5th for retained Simmonds. You guys get a extra year of Sutter veteran leadership, Jasek is a diamond in the rough but this year his development screwed up by Canuck management

Never heard of Jasek, his AHL stats aren't that great, but that's not everything. I guess it would depend if our scouts liked him. I do like that you calibrated the deal precisely enough to include a 5 round pick two years from now, lol.

Pitaya

Prince of the Alps, Nico Hischier
Dec 14, 2019
Don't really see why this is getting so much shade. Simmonds on a good team is a .5 ppg mid six guy with a physical presence. He has an expiring contract, and the ask is not a likely to be too high. It's a low risk potentially mid-reward move.
Hes not

Hes completely done. Jack Hughes would be a 40point player currently if Simmonds had half the talent he had five years ago.

The amount of tap-ins, open nets, and overall simple plays that Simmonds has failed to capitalize on this year is astonishing.

He probably isnt worth even a 4th but will get that because of his name and grit

Reactions: vtdevils2k

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
It's hard to understand what happens to some players after they hit 30....At one time Simmonds was a big-time player for the Kings and Flyers, but the decline has been swift. Usually it's the cumulative impact of injuries and a lot of games.

If the Canucks aren't convinced Ferland can make a recovery, they should just elevate younger guys like MacEwen or Bailey.

Reactions: Canadian Canuck

BCNate

Apr 3, 2016

I think I'd do that as a Canuck fan. Baertschi, and a conditional 2nd for Simmonds? Condition would be set so that the Canucks don't give it up in the same year as their 1st to Tampa.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Canucks would be smarter to acquire defensive depth than winger depth that isn't an upgrade on what they currently have. Dillon Bogosian (if he can skate)

The only motivation would/should be to find Baertschi a place to play next season and if they can free up a contract slot. Its only just over 2 million (buried) though so i wouldn't give up a pick unless the deal helps the lineup. May have to wait till late summer for that deal. Teams likely want to try and get better players before committing to a stop gap. Kind of sad that Baertschi a few seasons ago looked like a quality player....damn concussions.

Ferland (conditioning stint) MacEwen Baertschi and Bailey are ready to go. Motte and Leivo look to be back by March. Ferland and Leivo are better players (who would play the same role) and the other 3 can bang away or fill for 10minutes a night if needed. Save the pics for something good a bigger need or roll the dice on a prospect

Sergei Shirokov

Jul 27, 2012
British Columbia
I would look at Simmonds for low cost. NJ would have to retain salary or maybe we send Schaller back your way.

What about Miles Wood? Wasn't NJ looking to trade him earlier in the year? What would his value be?

Reactions: David71

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver
I would look at Simmonds for low cost. NJ would have to retain salary or maybe we send Schaller back your way.

What about Miles Wood? Wasn't NJ looking to trade him earlier in the year? What would his value be?

i rather take miles wood. sorta like ferland can hit/score and fight. younger too. maybe madde+bae+pick?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad