Vancouver Cap situation

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
We have a lot of 'tweener' wingers, so I wouldn't be surprised if someone (Raymond, Higgins) is traded at the deadline. I can see the Nucks picking up a rental (2nd line playmaker) at the deadline.

Like most have said, we will most likely see Lu, Keith and Manny coming off the books, as well as Raymond or Higgy. That's a lot of cap hit right there.

This is what I am hoping for. Using the cap from 2 tweeners to get a better top 6 player. We still have enough tweeners to fill a 3rd line.

vector209

Jan 7, 2012
Los Angeles, CA
I think Luongo, Manny, Ballard and Booth should come off to trade and retirement.

Luongo 5.3 Ballard 4.2 and Booth 4.0

Mannys contract will be eaten by Burrows raise.

So we are saving 13.5 mil if we trade those three players. Hopefully we can get some high picks and or under 20 prospects for them.

(6.1)Sedin (6.1)Sedin 4.5 Burrows

(.870)Kassian (5.0) Kesler 2.25(Higgins)

3.2 (raymond)1.5 (Schroeder) (1.35 )Hansen

900k (Weise)[/B] 1 Lappy 600k Volpatti / New guy whomever

(4.5) Hamhuis (4.6) Bieksa

(5.0) Edler (4.6) Garrison

2.75Tanev 1.0 Alberts

1.25 Connaution

(4.0) Schneider

(.750) Lack

Cap = 62 mil

Gillis has his work cut out for him.

That second line is uglier than the chick I hit on at the bar during New Years after getting wasted on shots of Patron.

medgett

Oct 1, 2007
Coquitlam, BC
Getzlaf and Perry have won a Cup. Can you say the same about the Sedins?

Also had Pronger and Niedermayer on they're blue line and a Goalie that played out of his mind. Great players, but the "they've got a ring argument" always seems like it is out of place in a sport that needs so much to go right. Getzlaf had an 11G year last year, can you say the same about the Sedins?

LiveeviL

No unique points
Jan 5, 2009
Sweden
Not long ago one of the arguments for acquiring Samuelsson was his play-off experience which this team lacked, it was a major thing.

One can say that some water has passed under the bridge since then. This team does not need to look for the play-off experience anymore, it is a passed issue. Most of the players on this team knows what going deep in the play-offs means, this team was one game away from having a massive hoard of rings in the current line-up.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
I used to be dead-set on trading Ballard, but this season has changed my mind a bit.

Booth played in the LA series last year and provided only 1 assist in the 5 games; I realize it was a low scoring series and our entire team played poorly, but he hasn't really proven much in terms of secondary scoring when it matters. I'd put him on a similar leash to Ballard, given their contracts, but he definitely should be given the benefit of the doubt and we should judge him after this year's post season.

I'm just not much of a fan of him, I guess. Good speed and decent size, and he does drive to the net. But he seems like he has a low hockey IQ, sometimes skates with his head down, doesn't have the best vision, and isn't all that creative with the puck. Doesn't help that he seems like a doofus off the ice, posts all his hunting stuff on twitter in a relatively liberal city, and is very vocal about his religious beliefs.

My memory of the LA series is fuzzy, but I thought Booth was perhaps the 2nd best player in those games besides Henrik. Could be remembering it wrong.

And your last paragraph was answered in a manner I don't think I could replicate, so I'll re-post it due to it's poignancy.

Booth is the epitome of 'he gets on base'. He's a weirdo, nobody likes him, he doesn't know how to play defense, he has low hockey IQ, can't pass the puck, etc. but when he's on the ice the good guys are driving the play towards the other net (and scoring).

Awesome.

solitary

Mar 30, 2009
If it comes down to a choice between Raymond or Higgins, I'd prefer to keep Higgins.

He's a more physical, versatile player who's easier to move around the line-up. I don't dislike Raymond, I just think Higgins is the more useful player all around.

I agree, although they have both been great this season.

solitary

Mar 30, 2009
Booth is the epitome of 'he gets on base'. He's a weirdo, nobody likes him, he doesn't know how to play defense, he has low hockey IQ, can't pass the puck, etc. but when he's on the ice the good guys are driving the play towards the other net (and scoring).

Hahaha Booth does drive the net.

Taelin

Resident Hipster
Jan 17, 2012
Vancouver
My memory of the LA series is fuzzy, but I thought Booth was perhaps the 2nd best player in those games besides Henrik. Could be remembering it wrong.

And your last paragraph was answered in a manner I don't think I could replicate, so I'll re-post it due to it's poignancy.

He was the only one (apart from Henrik) who wasn't playing like ****. Driving the net and shooting ON net (gasp!)!

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
He was the only one (apart from Henrik) who wasn't playing like ****. Driving the net and shooting ON net (gasp!)!

Good, wasn't sure if I was recalling that right. I should say "skater" instead of "player" though as Schneider played extremely well also.

Tanev is so good. How much will we have to pay him eventually?

Unless he explodes offensively, he's still an RFA coming off an ELC which should result in a weak bargaining position. My guess is 1.3m~ on a 2-3 year deal.

Nona Di Giuseppe

Jul 14, 2009
Coquitlam

Well, this is completely false.

I have met him several times and been with him around other Canucks. He's a super nice guy, easy to get along with. He may not be best buds with anyone in the locker room with some ideology differences, but he's definitely a positive in the locker room. He fits in personality wise better than a couple other Canucks you'd never say this about, such as Hansen.

---

I predict Lapierre, Luongo, Ballard gone and potentially Weise and Higgins as well.

Tiranis

Jun 10, 2009
Toronto, ON
Well, this is completely false.

I have met him several times and been with him around other Canucks. He's a super nice guy, easy to get along with. He may not be best buds with anyone in the locker room with some ideology differences, but he's definitely a positive in the locker room. He fits in personality wise better than a couple other Canucks you'd never say this about, such as Hansen.

You somewhat missed my point. (And those two points were referencing the fans' perception of him.)

Personally, I think he's a great guy and I think his teammates really like him. I don't have a single problem with Booth, whether it be with how he plays hockey or what he does in his personal life. (Not surprised to hear that about Hansen either.)

Jay Cee

P4G
May 8, 2007
Halifax
I don't see how we keep Ballard for that price as 6th dman. There is no question Tanev is better and way cheaper.

As for Booth, I have seen no evidence he is anything but liked. I also really like him and the fact he doesn't care about how people feel about his religious beliefs or love for the sport of hunting. He is genuinely himself and I really appreciate that.

Nona Di Giuseppe

Jul 14, 2009
Coquitlam
I don't see how we keep Ballard for that price as 6th dman. There is no question Tanev is better and way cheaper.

As for Booth, I have seen no evidence he is anything but liked. I also really like him and the fact he doesn't care about how people feel about his religious beliefs or love for the sport of hunting. He is genuinely himself and I really appreciate that.

Yeah.. It's more the position than the player.

6th Dman or 2nd liner .. ? I'd like to keep both. Has he even had 82 games with the Canucks yet ? Our system isn't the easiest to adjust to IMO.

BoHorvatFan

Dec 13, 2009
Vancouver
IMO we are better off with Raymond + some extra cap space than we are with Booth.

He HAS to go, someone will probably trade for him. We can't lose depth to keep such an injury prone player.

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
Just can't see us getting Getz or Perry. People have noticed that Ana has the 2nd best record in the NHL this year?

And on a thread talking about having to get rid of players cuz of the cap we solve it by bringing another $12M in salary for 2 players?

:amazed:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad