Vancouver Cap situation

Tiranis

Jun 10, 2009
Toronto, ON
So if he has better value, we'd get more back for him in a trade?
And it's also about team needs. If AV continues rolling 3 pairings, each playing with lots of ice time, and if Jensen is ready for the Canucks next year, doesn't trading Booth make more sense?

I wouldn't rely on Jensen to fill in Booth's shoes. He's doing well in the SEL but I doubt he'll come in and score 15-20 goals at even strength which is what Booth can do. That also ignores Booth's ability to drive play towards the other net and contribute off the scoresheet. I think it's more likely we can get a cheap replacement to fill in for Ballard than that we can get Jensen or somebody else cheap to fill in for Booth.

Dado

I suspect how we deal with the cap is going to largely depend on what happens in the playoffs. If we're bounced in the first round again, I could "substantial" moves being made that puts this all in the realm of pretty much completely unpredictable.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
So if he has better value, we'd get more back for him in a trade?
And it's also about team needs. If AV continues rolling 3 pairings, each playing with lots of ice time, and if Jensen is ready for the Canucks next year, doesn't trading Booth make more sense?

CHI fan wanting to know about VAN's cal situation? Hhmmmmm... Think we're in trouble? ;)

@Coho: Goals. That's what this team has lacked. Applying this to the choices you present, it's an easy call. Retain Booth.

Stonz

Oct 10, 2006
Burnaby, BC
If it comes down to a choice between Raymond or Higgins, I'd prefer to keep Higgins.

He's a more physical, versatile player who's easier to move around the line-up. I don't dislike Raymond, I just think Higgins is the more useful player all around.

Co Ho*

CHI fan wanting to know about VAN's cal situation? Hhmmmmm... Think we're in trouble? ;)

@Coho: Goals. That's what this team has lacked. Applying this to the choices you present, it's an easy call. Retain Booth.

I used to be dead-set on trading Ballard, but this season has changed my mind a bit.

Booth played in the LA series last year and provided only 1 assist in the 5 games; I realize it was a low scoring series and our entire team played poorly, but he hasn't really proven much in terms of secondary scoring when it matters. I'd put him on a similar leash to Ballard, given their contracts, but he definitely should be given the benefit of the doubt and we should judge him after this year's post season.

I'm just not much of a fan of him, I guess. Good speed and decent size, and he does drive to the net. But he seems like he has a low hockey IQ, sometimes skates with his head down, doesn't have the best vision, and isn't all that creative with the puck. Doesn't help that he seems like a doofus off the ice, posts all his hunting stuff on twitter in a relatively liberal city, and is very vocal about his religious beliefs.

Tiranis

Jun 10, 2009
Toronto, ON
I used to be dead-set on trading Ballard, but this season has changed my mind a bit.

Booth played in the LA series last year and provided only 1 assist in the 5 games; I realize it was a low scoring series and our entire team played poorly, but he hasn't really proven much in terms of secondary scoring when it matters. I'd put him on a similar leash to Ballard, given their contracts, but he definitely should be given the benefit of the doubt and we should judge him after this year's post season.

I'm just not much of a fan of him, I guess. Good speed and decent size, and he does drive to the net. But he seems like he has a low hockey IQ, sometimes skates with his head down, doesn't have the best vision, and isn't all that creative with the puck. Doesn't help that he seems like a doofus off the ice, posts all his hunting stuff on twitter in a relatively liberal city, and is very vocal about his religious beliefs.

Booth is the epitome of 'he gets on base'. He's a weirdo, nobody likes him, he doesn't know how to play defense, he has low hockey IQ, can't pass the puck, etc. but when he's on the ice the good guys are driving the play towards the other net (and scoring).

Co Ho*

Out:
Luongo, Booth, Ballard, Malhotra

In:
Getzlaf, Perry, Jensen, Connaughton

Oh man, I would die of happiness.
Although one thing people aren't considering is the return we get for Luongo/Ballard/Booth, chances are we take some salary back. Hopefully mostly futures though.

Wheatley

We Rabite You
Sep 24, 2010
Yeah I'm thinking draft picks just to shed the salary, even if they aren't first rounders like I'm sure everyone here would want.

That being said, if we could get a fairly high first rounder for Schneider I'd rather trade him than Luongo. Not much difference in their cap hit anymore.

And this of course is assuming we get Getzlaf and Perry lol.

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows
Perry - Getzlaf - Jensen
Kassian - Kesler - Hansen

I'm sure there's wingers playing their offside but I'm not sure.

Last edited:

Dado

How badly do y'all want Getzlaf and Perry? Would you straight swap the Sedins for them?

Co Ho*

How badly do y'all want Getzlaf and Perry? Would you straight swap the Sedins for them?

Hard to say.
Realistically - no. Sedins took a discount to stay here, have been insanely consistent over the years, have been great leaders, and have been great people for the community here. I would honour their contracts and not trade them.

In terms of skill and age, of course I'd take Perry and Getzlaf over them.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Out:
Luongo, Booth, Ballard, Malhotra

In:
Getzlaf, Perry, Jensen, Connaughton

Sedin (6.1) - Sedin (6.1) - Kassian (0.870)
Burrows (4.5) - Getzlaf (6.1) - Perry (6.1)
Jensen (0.847) - Schroeder (1) - Kesler (5)
Volpatti (0.6) - Lapierre (1) - Weise (0.6)

$38.817

Hamhuis (4.5) - Bieksa (4.6)
Edler (5) - Tanev (1)
Garrison (4.6) - Corrado (0.617)

$20.317

Schneider (4)
Lack (0.75)

Team: $63.884M

Unrealistic totally, but that's what it would look like.

Alflives*

In a heartbeat.

The Sedins are fabulous players, who never (almost never) hurt their team with selfish play. Can you say that about Getzlaf and Perry. Sure they are really good players, but they let their 'need for immediate revenge' get in the way of the bigger picture of team success. I would question their toughness, in this respect. It's not so easy to 'take one' for your team.

Wilch

Unregistered User
Mar 29, 2010
I would like the Canucks to sign Getzlaf over Perry. Obviously if they are in on both that'd be nice, but if I had to choose it'd be Getzlaf.

We've seen what happens when we one of Hank or Kesler goes down with injury.

Wizeman*

I find it almost impossible to believe Getzlaff or Perry sign with us. They re sign with the Ducks.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
I find it almost impossible to believe Getzlaff or Perry sign with us. They re sign with the Ducks.

Not that i think they are realistic options for Vancouver... but i'm thinking if they were going to stay with the Ducks, they would of been signed by now... (deadline latest).

I'm doubting their willingness to remain in Cali.

I'm thinking Getzlaf is destined for Toronto... based on NOTHING really... other than perceived fit.

Alflives*

Not that i think they are realistic options for Vancouver... but i'm thinking if they were going to stay with the Ducks, they would of been signed by now... (deadline latest).

I'm doubting their willingness to remain in Cali.

I'm thinking Getzlaf is destined for Toronto... based on NOTHING really... other than perceived fit.

Yes, then the Leafs would have the #1 center they have been looking for. That still leaves Perry. How about a dead-line deal:

Booth, Ballard, and a second for Perry.

mrmyheadhurts

Registered Boozer
Mar 22, 2007
Vancouver
Booth is the epitome of 'he gets on base'. He's a weirdo, nobody likes him, he doesn't know how to play defense, he has low hockey IQ, can't pass the puck, etc. but when he's on the ice the good guys are driving the play towards the other net (and scoring).

He's Taylor Hall before there was a Taylor Hall.

JuniorNelson

Jan 21, 2010
E.Vancouver
Just curious as to how Vancouver is going to handle their cap situation in the next season or two...especially with the cap going down next year too.

http://capgeek.com/canucks

UFA's:Malholtra, Raymond, Higgens, Lapierre, Volpatti

Sedin, Sedin, Hansen (2 seasons from now)

RFA's: Schroeder, Weise, Tanev

Kassian (2 seasons from now)

Sedins might not want too much of a raise, but you have to figure guys like Hansen, Higgens, Schroeder, Weise, Tanev, and Kassian will all want decent raises. Vancouver doesn't really have the strongest of prospect pools so i wonder how they'd fill those holes if the have to let a lot of UFAs go.

Curious to see how the Nucks actually handle it and to see how Nuck fans think they should handle it.

The Sedins say they want another contract after this one, but do they mean NHL? If Gillis is approached by Getzlaf and Perry, will it matter? lol

I doubt that anybody comes here demanding a contract. It isn't a destination team unless you are into being the hated. This sort of limits what a GM can do.

Gillis has lived on hometown players a lot for FAs and I think that amounts to the "possibles" list.

The returning players are almost predictable. Gillis, with few options, is very loyal. A forward or two will go off and some new guys will drift in that want to play near home

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
The Sedins are fabulous players, who never (almost never) hurt their team with selfish play. Can you say that about Getzlaf and Perry. Sure they are really good players, but they let their 'need for immediate revenge' get in the way of the bigger picture of team success. I would question their toughness, in this respect. It's not so easy to 'take one' for your team.

Getzlaf and Perry have won a Cup. Can you say the same about the Sedins?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->