Prospect Info: Vancouver Canucks Top 25 Prospects 2015 - #3

Nuckles

_________
Apr 27, 2010
heck
It's that time of year again! The HF Vancouver Canucks board will be ranking the team's top 20 prospects (including the 2015 draft selections). Polls will be left open for 24 hours.

Feel free to explain your choices and suggest who should be added to the list for the next poll.

Rank | Player | POS | HT | WT | DOB | Poll%
1| Jake Virtanen |RW|6.01|207|Aug 17, 1996| 80.00%
2| Jared McCann |C|6.00|185|May 31, 1996| 68.21%
3|???|???|???|???|???| ???

*Please note that only players that Hockey's Future considers to be prospects will be included, meaning Horvat, Baertschi, Vey, and Markstrom will be excluded from voting.

2014 ranking: http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1719893
2013 ranking: http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1486113

Last edited:

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Going to go with Shinkaruk here. Slow start notwithstanding, he was a top prospect coming out of the 2013 draft and he put together a great second half last year that showed glimpses of what he can become. He's much more well rounded now, getting stronger, and I am fully confident he will have a big impact in 2015-16.

Nuckles

_________
Apr 27, 2010
heck
On a side note, if anyone is able to post the poll on Friday I would appreciate it. I won't be able to post it until later in the afternoon/early evening that day.

I'm going with Boeser here. Shinkaruk had a disappointing start to the year and then found his game towards the end of the season, but was inconsistent in the playoffs, Vancouver goalies are valued less :)sarcasm:) and I don't think Demko has super high potential, and I think Cassels lacks high-end potential (but could become a very good 2nd/3rd line tweener). All the other forwards and d-men lack high end potential as well. I could see Boeser becoming a 2nd line winger.

PhilMick

Formerly PRNuck
May 20, 2009
Calgary
Thatchman for me. I don't typically like goalie prospects, or get excited about them, but I think he's the real deal.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
Boeser. The only guy left I see with legitimate top 6 upside and a good chance to hit it.

Kind of hesitant with goalie prospects until they hit pro although Demko is looking promising. Tempted to go with Cassels for the one after but I think I'll go with Demko.

tc 23

#GaunceForGM
Dec 11, 2012
Vancouver
Going with the future GM here. I liked his year in Utica - solid production given his minutes and offensive opportunities in a new position.

GJB

Dr. Hook
Sponsor
Aug 12, 2002
Thatcher Demko.

Solid numbers in back-to-back NCAA seasons and probably the best goalie in 2014 draft.

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
Voted Boeser.

He's the shiny new toy.

Going to get closer every poll from here on in. Theres 10 guys i could argue for here.

oyvey

meet you at the bottom if there really is one
Jan 6, 2010
Toronto
Probably Boesser, but there's something exciting about Cassels even as a 3LC.

Intoewsables

Jul 30, 2009
Toronto
Demko seems to be tracking really well, but goalies are too unpredictable for my taste. I'll have a lot of trouble sticking him in the top-5 until he has a year of pro hockey under his belt.

I guess that makes it Boeser for me.

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
Thatcher Demko.

Solid numbers in back-to-back NCAA seasons and probably the best goalie in 2014 draft.

Demko is #4 on my list. I can't really argue if anyone puts him in their top 3 but if I was offered a choice between Boeser or Demko, I can't see myself picking Demko mainly due to the position he plays and how goalies are sometimes a bit weird with their development. Look at Markstrom for example.

alternate

Win the week!
Jun 9, 2006
victoria
Boeser cuz he's new and shiny. Also has top 6 upside and no real glaring deficiencies.

I'm leaning towards Shinkaruk next, kid is a natural finisher and started to look at home in the pro game the second half of the season. Next for me is probably Gaunce. He gets a slight edge on Cassels based on Cassels skating and the fact Gaunce, as a rookie pro, was on the ice during last minute faceoffs deep in the AHL playoffs. I also think he'll be moved back to center.

Probably 4 dmen -- Corrado, Subban, Hutton and Pedan that round out my top 10. Haven't decided who fits where yet though.

Snatcher Demko

High-End Intangibles
Oct 8, 2006
Yeah, same.

Wish he was going to be in Utica this year.

Seems like Benning is high on him going to Utica next year (2016-17).

After reading the recent article about how good he feels after hip surger, and given his prominent play at the WJC, he's certainly has as much potential as anyone in our system.

GPNuck

Nov 25, 2013
I don't watch them enough to truly know but I would say Boeser or Shinkaruk.. But who knows time will tell

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad