Prospect Info: Vancouver Canucks Top 25 Prospects 2015 - #2

Love

Feb 29, 2012
To be honest after Boeser/Demko/Cassels win the next three, I think I would have to go with Jordan Subban.

He absolutely has Sami Vatanen potential. He's also an incredible natural athlete who works his ass off in the off season. I think he overcomes his lack of height and makes it as a highly skilled puck mover.

And even though he's only 5'9'', he'll be an absolute rock when he's NHL ready. For reference, Tanev is 185 and Duncan Keith is 195. Subban is already listed at 185 (old weight, might even be more?) so it wouldn't surprise me if he plays at the same weight as Keith while being 4 inches shorter.

Hi-wayman

Feb 28, 2002
Surrey
Visit site
That is from HF. 65 games or 24 years old for skaters, what ever comes first. 45 games and same age for goaltenders.

Does the player have to actually reach 24 years of age, or is he no longer to be considered a prospect if he reaches age 24 anytime during that season?

David Bruce Banner

Nude Cabdriver Ban
Mar 25, 2008
Streets Ahead
McCan but I think Boeser could definitely surpass him soon.

After that Demko. People saying Shinkaruk are out to lunch, unfortunately he's closer to busting than making the NHL barring huge progression next season.

Shinkaruk busting? Man, tough crowd. A bunch of people around here were foaming at the mouth to have him make the Canucks last year. One season of injury recuperation and and adjustment to higher league and suddenly he's "close to busting"? Give your head a shake. Shink made progress last year and will probably require another AHL year. If he continues his progress, he's a fine prospect.

I still have McCann ahead of him, but IMHO, Shinkaruk should definitely be in our top 5.

HankieDankie

Feb 24, 2012
Vancouver
Virtanen
McCann
Demko
Boeser
Shinkaruk
Cassels
Gaunce
Subban

With Horvat graduating, Shink's stock dropping, and Jensen nearing bust territory, our prospect pool is not looking very good, especially if you compare it to how old the team is and the downward trend we are on.

We need 5-6 picks in the first 3 rounds next year.

Tobi Wan Kenobi

May 25, 2011
Vancouver
Virtanen
McCann
Demko
Boeser
Shinkaruk
Cassels
Gaunce
Subban

With Horvat graduating, Shink's stock dropping, and Jensen nearing bust territory, our prospect pool is not looking very good, especially if you compare it to how old the team is and the downward trend we are on.

We need 5-6 picks in the first 3 rounds next year.

Doing that would be awesome and all but we have a lot more depth than people realize.

Under 25:
Baertschi Horvat Virtanen
Shinkaruk McCann Boeser
Gaunce Cassels Grenier
Kenins Vey Jensen
Zhukenov

Brisebois Tanev
Tryamkin Subban
Sbisa Corrado
Hutton Clendening
Pedan

Markstrom
Demko

Biggest need their is a 1D. They need to do everything in their power to try to acquire one. Maybe not a true number one but a top pairing one nonetheless. I hope to god we have a **** year and get Chychrun.

TheWanderer

Nov 15, 2013
Went with McCann on this one. I think in a year or two, him and Boeser will be closer, but right now we are riding the coattails of a very good season from McCann. Based on sheer pedigree, I think both of these prospects will be very close. McCann wins out in this because he already has shown a great draft +1 year, which is big for us 'Nucks fans as... well it's been a while...

Next for me will be Boeser, with Cassels very close, then Cassels, then Demko. I think those are my top 5. Sorry, but I'm not big on Corrado. He probably hits #6 for me.

I still don't know where to rank Kenins. I think about 10 games into the season, he'll have passed anyone we've had to shoe-horn into the NHL, like Vey or even Baertschi. It's honestly tough to lot him in with our prospects at this point.

I mean... solid 3rd liner is what we keep projecting Cassels to be, and Kenins is basically already that. And Cassels will be top 5 for many people here...

TheWanderer

Nov 15, 2013
Shinkaruk busting? Man, tough crowd. A bunch of people around here were foaming at the mouth to have him make the Canucks last year. One season of injury recuperation and and adjustment to higher league and suddenly he's "close to busting"? Give your head a shake. Shink made progress last year and will probably require another AHL year. If he continues his progress, he's a fine prospect.

I still have McCann ahead of him, but IMHO, Shinkaruk should definitely be in our top 5.

Overall I agree with you, but we need to see some leaps out of him for us to call him a top 5 prospect in our pool. Maybe at this time next year, we will be saying that.

This is largely a result of McCann and Cassels putting up great years. Cassels had a great Draft +1, and now a better Draft +2.

Shinkaruk was injured in his Draft +1, and as you say, was recuperating and in a higher league for his +2. Naturally, this brings up questions until he answers them - which he very well could. He and Gaunce will have 1 AHL year under their belts when Cassels steps in, and they (or one of them) very well could vault ahead of Cassels in terms of NHL-readiness. Or Cassels could be a gem. Who knows. As it is right now, Cassels is ahead of Shinkaruk.

monster_bertuzzi

May 26, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
To be honest after Boeser/Demko/Cassels win the next three, I think I would have to go with Jordan Subban.

He absolutely has Sami Vatanen potential. He's also an incredible natural athlete who works his ass off in the off season. I think he overcomes his lack of height and makes it as a highly skilled puck mover.

And even though he's only 5'9'', he'll be an absolute rock when he's NHL ready. For reference, Tanev is 185 and Duncan Keith is 195. Subban is already listed at 185 (old weight, might even be more?) so it wouldn't surprise me if he plays at the same weight as Keith while being 4 inches shorter.

He's fighting the odds, people just write off small defenceman even when they have all kinds of skill which Jordan certainly does. You would think people like Rafalski, Timmonen, Vatanen as you mentioned etc. would change this stereotype but it's still out there. I agree - he's our best prospect on D and knocking on the door of our top 5.

TheWanderer

Nov 15, 2013
Another prospect of our who put up a monster season. Subban definitely rose in the ranks for sure.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad