Prospect Info: Vancouver Canucks Top 25 Prospects 2015 - #2

Nuckles

_________
Apr 27, 2010
heck
It's that time of year again! The HF Vancouver Canucks board will be ranking the team's top 20 prospects (including the 2015 draft selections). Polls will be left open for 24 hours.

Feel free to explain your choices and suggest who should be added to the list for the next poll.

Rank | Player | POS | HT | WT | DOB | Poll%
1| Jake Virtanen |RW|6.01|208|Aug 17, 1996| 80.00%
2|???|???|???|???|???| ???

*Please note that only players that Hockey's Future considers to be prospects will be included, meaning Horvat, Baertschi, Vey, and Markstrom will be excluded from voting.

2014 ranking: http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1719893
2013 ranking: http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1486113

Last edited:

Bo Ho*

Voted Demko purely based on his potential/ceiling since he's probably our best goaltending prospect since Schneider.
McCann for forwards and NHL-readiness.

Nuckles

_________
Apr 27, 2010
heck
Jared McCann is my choice here. I can see him becoming a good two-way 45-50 point 2nd line center. Boeser has the potential to put up more points, but I think McCann will be better defensively and hold more responsibilities as a center.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Going to go with McCann. He had a real good season last year. Just needs to get better in scrums and he'll be NHL ready.

I liked the development in his offensive game. Would like to see what he can do at the NHL level this year. Not sure he has anything left to learn in the OHL.

McHortton

Accidental Tank 2016
Jun 28, 2013
Vancouver
McCan but I think Boeser could definitely surpass him soon.

After that Demko. People saying Shinkaruk are out to lunch, unfortunately he's closer to busting than making the NHL barring huge progression next season.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
I like McCann, and from a value standpoint him and Virtanen are the only two guys that would have been worth a 1st in the draft that just happened. He's next.

Boeser would of course slot next for me as he was a legit 1st this year, and I feel Demko and Cassels round out the top five as they both have late 1st/early 2nd value.

Rex Banner

Custom User Title
Aug 22, 2013
Cassels. He's all heart and all work ethic. Wouldn't surprise me if he forced his way onto the team.

Tobi Wan Kenobi

May 25, 2011
Vancouver
Boeser plays in the harder areas. McCann definitely has a sick set of skills but I just think Borser will be more of a factor come playoff time. He's my choice. It's definitely close between the top 3. Could go any way.

jimmythescot

Jul 28, 2009
Edinburgh, Scotland
It's already pretty tough to decide. Went with McCann in the end, but there's an argument to be made for any of the 2-5 slots to be interchanged as far as I'm concerned.

Zhukenov next?

Nuckles

_________
Apr 27, 2010
heck
Voted McCann

Remove Kenins, he has hit the 24 year old plateau required to be considered a prospect.

I'm just going by what HF considers to be a prospect to keep things simplified. Otherwise some people will say things like Baertschi/Markstrom should be on the list while others disagree and then threads go off-topic.

fancouver

Jan 15, 2009
Vancouver
1. Virtanen
2. McCann - NHL shot, average NHL speed - should be a solid 2-way 60 pt guy in the NHL during his prime as long as he works on getting stronger.
3. Boeser
4. Shinkaruk
5. Demko

VC

Feb 28, 2002
Vancouver Island
Visit site
I'm just going by what HF considers to be a prospect to keep things simplified. Otherwise some people will say things like Baertschi/Markstrom should be on the list while others disagree and then threads go off-topic.

That is from HF. 65 games or 24 years old for skaters, what ever comes first. 45 games and same age for goaltenders.

alternate

Win the week!
Jun 9, 2006
victoria
McCan but I think Boeser could definitely surpass him soon.

After that Demko. People saying Shinkaruk are out to lunch, unfortunately he's closer to busting than making the NHL barring huge progression next season.

Ummm, Shinkaruk has zero votes so far so....

Voted McCann. Top 3 guys for me (Virt, McCann, Brock) are pretty interchangeable. McCann's D+1 season gives him the edge.

Can't vote for a goalie in the top 10. Just too hard to project and goalies are so abundant these days.

After #3 it's pretty wide open imo. Cassels has skating issues, Shink had his slow start, Hutton is so raw and probably a couple seasons away, Pedan has the concussion issues, Kenins is somewhat low upside. Not sure how the top 10 will play out.

Nuckles

_________
Apr 27, 2010
heck
That is from HF. 65 games or 24 years old for skaters, what ever comes first. 45 games and same age for goaltenders.

I guess they forgot to remove him when they updated their team rankings (they removed Baertschi and Markstrom at that time). I will remove him for the next poll.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Boesner is the next best guy is the best pick weve made in a long time so glad benning got him his only good move in two years here now. Mccann is defy after boesner prob 3 and excited for him to but not like Brock :)

Bitz and Bites

May 5, 2012
Victoria
I voted Boeser,just think he has a bit more upside and could be a first line player while McCann I see more as a second line type centre.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
Boeser for me

I think McCann needs to restructure his game a lot to become pro ready. The point totals are very encouraging but I never felt when I saw him that he was an offensive catalyst. Kind of a perimeter player as well.

Excited to see what he does this season though.

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
Boeser for me

I think McCann needs to restructure his game a lot to become pro ready. The point totals are very encouraging but I never felt when I saw him that he was an offensive catalyst. Kind of a perimeter player as well.

Excited to see what he does this season though.

I don't know, I agree he plays on the perimeter, but I thought a number of times they tried to play through him, and sometimes they were really looking for his shot.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad