Prospect Info: Vancouver Canucks Top 20 Prospects 2015 - #6

StrictlyCommercial

Oct 28, 2006
Vancouver
General opinion is always delayed in its swings for some reason. Jensen should have fallen out of the top 10 last year. Shinkaruk is still being overrated this year as a lot of folks still view him as a potential 60 point guy.

It is interesting to see how much people overvalue junior performances yet discount pro performance.

Nuckles

_________
Apr 27, 2010
heck
Thank you for posting today's poll Aqualung!

I'm going with Shinkaruk here. Kenins looked good in most of his NHL games in a bottom 6 role, but he's also more than three years older thank Shink and probably won't be more than a bottom 6 guy. Shinkaruk looked poor for most of the year, but that bright spot during the season where he was an offensive spark plug gives me some hope. I still think he has top 6 potential.

Tobi Wan Kenobi

May 25, 2011
Vancouver
Shinkaruk but Kenins over Gaunce?? I don't know about that. Kenins is three years older. If we chriogenically froze Kenins and let Gaunce develop another three years don't you think he'd be ahead of Kenins. Come on.

StrictlyCommercial

Oct 28, 2006
Vancouver
Shinkaruk but Kenins over Gaunce?? I don't know about that. Kenins is three years older. If we chriogenically froze Kenins and let Gaunce develop another three years don't you think he'd be ahead of Kenins. Come on.

You think Gaunce will be a top 6 forward in 3 years? Equivalent bottom 6er, yes. Better? Doubtful.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland

Gaunce is not a sure thing. Definitely has an issue with pace and chasing the play. I don't know how much he'll improve in that area.

Kenins has already shown to be a solid bottom 6 player. Is that not pretty much Gaunce's ceiling?

Andy Dufresne

Jun 17, 2009

Why is Kenins being cryogenically frozen??? I don't know if he'll ever be as good as Hansen, but the comparison has been made here. Hansen was a significantly better player at 27 than he was at 24. Hansen came over at 19. Last year was Kenins' first season outside the Swiss league. It's not like he has 0 upside. Even if that only means being a good 3rd liner not a top 6'er.

I've been voting for Gaunce because I think his passing and shot are under-rated and he has the possibility of being a complimentary top 6 guy. That's far from a sure thing though.

Love

Feb 29, 2012
Was Kenins even in the last polls?

Either way he's basically an NHLer to me at this point. Isn't the HF cutoff for prospects 30 NHL games? He played exactly 30 last season.

Proto

Jan 30, 2010
Ah, didn't know Kenins was going back in. Shink here and then probably Kenins followed by Subban for me.

StrictlyCommercial

Oct 28, 2006
Vancouver
There is a few different stipulations. That is were I originally went wrong, games played isn't the only criteria.
-65 games or 24 years old.
-2 years after a College players signs or 65 games.
-3 years after a European play signs or the 65 games.

Yeah, I was responding to the specific point raised.

TheWanderer

Nov 15, 2013
Its getting to the point where I ask myself - who would I draft next?

It's between Shinkaruk and Gaunce, for me. I think Gaunce had a better AHL rookie season, and has the Horvat-esque maturity to his game. Shinkaruk obviously has the higher upside, but is book-bust.

I've never been high on Corrado/Clendening, and would probably put Brisebois ahead of them. By this time next year, one of Hutton/Subban/Tryamkin will be considered a better prospect than Corrado/Clendening as well.

TheWanderer

Nov 15, 2013
Also interesting to see how this year is shaping up vs. 2014:

1. Bo Horvat
2. Jake Virtanen
3. Hunter Shinkaruk
4. Nicklas Jensen
5. Brendan Gaunce
6. Jared McCann
7. Frankie Corrado
8. Linden Vey
9. Ben Hutton
10. Thatcher Demko
11. Dane Fox
12. Cole Cassels
13. Joacim Eriksson
14. Nikita Tryamkin
15. Jordon Subban
16. Evan McEneny
17. Ronalds Kenins
18. Michael Zalewski
19. Gustav Forsling
20. Alexandre Grenier

Horvat, Vey graduated, and Eriksson and Forsling are gone.

Other predictions:
- Jensen will fall quite a lot, Gaunce will also fall
- McCann, Cassels and Demko rise already, Subban and Grenier will also rise
- Hutton is a wild card

S_C

Kenins at 17. What a guy

Huggy

Respectful Handshake
Jul 22, 2014
Vancouver
Kenins reminds me of a goon version of Hossa

what a pick up for LW

and he's the Latvian Locomotive, excellent pick up

Bitz and Bites

May 5, 2012
Victoria
Surprised there's no votes for Brisbois yet.He's been compared to Tanev (1st pairing Dman) but with some PP skills.Gotta be more valuable then a bottom 6 forward,IMO.

I'm off the Shinkaruk hype train until he starts looking like a decent AHLer.He's showing improvement but a long way from being an NHLer.

VibinCanuck

No doubt about it, I am ready to get hurt again
Sep 13, 2014
Vancouver
Gonna have to go with Gaunce. He has the tools to be a great 3rd line staple for the upcoming years when new prospects as well as the current big prospects carry the heavy load.

Something the Oilers struggled mightily in obtaining.

EXTRAS

Jul 31, 2012
Why are people putting Shinkaruk ahead of Clendening?

At 20 years old Hunter Shinkaruk put up 31 pts in 74 games in the AHL, as a rookie forward. 6 points in 23 playoff games.

At 20 years old Adam Clendening put up 46 pts in 73 games in the AHL, as a rookie defenseman. The next season he put up 59 pts in 74 games in the AHL.

It seems like Hunter is just getting voted in based upon his once-upon-a-time 1st round status.

Nuckles

_________
Apr 27, 2010
heck
Sorry guys, family emergency, not able to post poll today. Someone else may feel free to post it or we can skip today and continue tomorrow

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad