Prospect Info: Vancouver Canucks Top 20 Prospects 2015 - #6

Aqualung

Nov 16, 2007
It's that time of year again! The HF Vancouver Canucks board will be ranking the team's top 20 prospects (including the 2015 draft selections). Polls will be left open for 24 hours.

Feel free to explain your choices and suggest who should be added to the list for the next poll.

Rank | Player | POS | HT | WT | DOB | Poll%
1| Jake Virtanen |RW|6.01|207|Aug 17, 1996| 80.00%
2| Jared McCann |C|6.00|185|May 31, 1996| 68.21%
3| Brock Boeser |RW|6.00|191|Feb 25, 1997| 57.14%
4| Thatcher Demko |G|6.04|195|Dec 8, 1995| 48.87%
5|Cole Cassels|C|6.00|180|May 4, 1995| 51.45%
6|???|???|???|???|???| ???

*Please note that only players that Hockey's Future considers to be prospects will be included, meaning Horvat, Baertschi, Vey, and Markstrom will be excluded from voting.

2014 ranking: http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1719893
2013 ranking: http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1486113

Thanks Nuckles!

VC

Feb 28, 2002
Vancouver Island
Visit site
The grouping of Cassels, Shinkaruk, Gaunce, Kenins, Corrado and Clendening can really flipflop depending how you value upside and floor. Shinkaruk (my vote) has the highest upside. The remaining of these forwards, more or less have the same upside. Same goes for Corrado and Clendening though they do play a different game, I have a Corrado the safer bet and rank higher than his defensive counter part.

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
Shinkaruk for me here.

Will be interested to see where Brisbois ends up finishing in these rankings.

fancouver

Jan 15, 2009
Vancouver
The grouping of Cassels, Shinkaruk, Gaunce, Kenins, Corrado and Clendening can really flipflop depending how you value upside and floor. Shinkaruk (my vote) has the highest upside. The remaining of these forwards, more or less have the same upside. Same goes for Corrado and Clendening though they do play a different game, I have a Corrado the safer bet and rank higher than his defensive counter part.

I look at the prospects which have the highest ceiling possible if they ever make the team, not the probability of making the NHL as a 4th liner per se.

So from that group, it makes sense Shinkaruk would be considered the 'top' in that group, because he was drafted to be a natural goalscorer aka top 6.

Whereas everyone else in that group are projected to be 3rd and 4th liners, so far. Corrado and Clendenning I see them as bottom 4 D, but not top pairing.

Hi-wayman

Feb 28, 2002
Surrey
Visit site
Even though Tryamkin is contracted to play this up coming season in the KHL, I see him as the best of our defense prospects. The KHL experience will allow him to jump straight to the NHL once he comes to Vancouver.

Last edited:

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Even though Tryamkin is contracted to play this up coming season in the KLM, I see him as the best of our defense prospects. The KLM experience will allow him to jump straight to the NHL once he comes to Vancouver.

Since when did Tryamkin leave hockey to go work for a Dutch airline?

StrictlyCommercial

Oct 28, 2006
Vancouver
Its easily Kenins for me. He's already NHL calibre, and has a very high chance of being a 3rd liner. Shinkaruk has 2nd line upside but whether he comes close to that is up in the air.

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
I voted Gaunce. I think he has the best chance of having a good NHL career -- above average third liner. I hope for the best for Shinkaruk, but at this point I think there's a good chance he doesn't crack the big leagues at all. I'd be surprised if Kenins is better than an average fourth line guy.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
Easily Kenins for me

Shown he can play in the NHL and does have some underrated upside. The skills are there and he's proven that he can play with the big boys. Same can't be said for Shinkaruk/Gaunce etc

canucksfan

Mar 16, 2002
British Columbia
Visit site
Right now if someone offered me a 2nd rounder for a cost-controlled effective NHL player in Kenins who looks to be a guy with the potential to score 30 ES points from the 3rd line, no way.

I'd take a #2 pick and run for Shinkaruk.

I am not a big Hunter fan but he did show progress at the end of last season, playoffs aside. I think this season will show if he has a decent chance at becoming an NHLer or not.

Just curious but why aren't you a supporter of his?

Snatcher Demko

High-End Intangibles
Oct 8, 2006
I voted Corrado. He's an NHLer IMO.

I thought Kenins had graduated? He's played over 25 games and is on a 1-way?

arsmaster*

I voted Corrado. He's an NHLer IMO.

I thought Kenins had graduated? He's played over 25 games and is on a 1-way?

One way contracts don't guarantee you a place in the league, especially when you don't need waivers to get down.

It just guarantees he'll be getting his NHL salary no matter where he plays.

Southern_Canuck

Sep 13, 2004
I know this has probably been discussed in the specific Brisebois thread, but with the Brisebois/Corrado discussion going on, I looked up the pre-draft assessment for Brisebois...

TSN
"Very fluid skating marks his game. His quickness and mobility allow him to defend very well and to beat the pressures that opponents are trying to apply. Smart, reads the play well and makes very solid plays with the puck. He’s not going to overwhelm you with great skill or physical play but he has excellent consistency, reliability and efficiency."

Cauncks selection #66 (3rd round pick acquired for Eddie Lack)
Bob McKenzie ranking #48
Craig Button ranking #55
NHL Central Scouting ranking #41 (North American Skaters)

Other than a reportedly mediocre shot, he sounds like a steal. In the 18 team QMJHL his Acadie-Bathurst Titan finished... well, 18th - and 14 points below 17th! Only 17 wins in 68 games! I think there's a good chance that on a better team Brisebois would have been a bigger contributor to the offence - consider that only two teams in the QMJHL scored fewer than 200 goals, and Acadie-Bathurst was the lowest at only 158.
Going against him, of course, is the fact that far fewer QMJHL defencemen make the NHL compared to defencemen from the OHL and WHL.

Anyway, just thought I would add that to the discussion.

S_C

Last edited:

Southern_Canuck

Sep 13, 2004
Also interesting to see how this year is shaping up vs. 2014:

1. Bo Horvat
2. Jake Virtanen
3. Hunter Shinkaruk
4. Nicklas Jensen
5. Brendan Gaunce
6. Jared McCann
7. Frankie Corrado
8. Linden Vey
9. Ben Hutton
10. Thatcher Demko
11. Dane Fox
12. Cole Cassels
13. Joacim Eriksson
14. Nikita Tryamkin
15. Jordon Subban
16. Evan McEneny
17. Ronalds Kenins
18. Michael Zalewski
19. Gustav Forsling
20. Alexandre Grenier

Horvat, Vey graduated, and Eriksson and Forsling are gone.

Other predictions:
- Jensen will fall quite a lot, Gaunce will also fall
- McCann, Cassels and Demko rise already, Subban and Grenier will also rise
- Hutton is a wild card

S_C

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad