Confirmed with Link: Vancouver Canucks sign 6 year Deal to Stay with Utica Comets

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
I think it’s a good situation for our young players. Better travel for them, and they’re away from all the media focus. Little inconvenient for call ups but I think that problem gets blown out of proportion anyway. Main problem is that Canucks management has failed to provide Utica with proper AHL vets and good prospects.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014
Aww too bad thought they might come to Abbotsford so our prospects would be closer to home. O well, hope for the best

Reactions: Eddy Punch Clock

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
AHL failed miserably in Abbotsford, and the travel for that team was absolutely brutal.

The only time it's inconvenient is last minute call ups, which is a total edge case and shouldn't be a situation you optimize for.

We're spoiled with a good fanbase in Utica and have been letting them down with out lack of support and management.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014
Delighted by this. I was worried we’d be uprooting our farm again, but glad to see there should be at least a bit of stability for the next few years.
I dont get it, whats the big deal with uprooting the farm team. Wouldnt it just be relocating the team to another city IF it were to happen?

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Who is Utica Comets and what position does he play? - Jim Benning

Twitter Ads info and privacy
“We are very pleased to continue our partnership with Utica,” said general manager Jim Benning in a press release. “The Comets share our organization’s level of commitment and philosophy in player development, providing a strong environment for growth. We believe the culture in Utica, combined with the great fan support and atmosphere at games, will continue to be beneficial for the players in our system.”

:huh:

Jyrki21

2021-12-05
Sponsor
I can’t even begin to understand the point of view that rerouting the entire farm club to an insane AHL travel schedule is worthwhile just for the, what, once or twice a year when a last-minute callup to the West Coast is a bit difficult on a gameday... (BTW, the time zones make it much harder to do this in reverse if the Canucks are out east and need to call a guy up from Abbotsford).

And on top of that, imagine a guy like Lind or Gadjovich having his current season in the Lower Mainland, where there are still radio-caller types who think these guys might be in the lineup next year.

Uhmkay

Tryamkin = New Chara
Dec 11, 2006
Vancouver
Glad they have kept them in Utica. Utica has been nothing short of class for an AHL team and it's a great place to bring the kids along and allow them to focus on their development rather than constant travel.

jimmythescot

Jul 28, 2009
Edinburgh, Scotland
I dont get it, whats the big deal with uprooting the farm team. Wouldnt it just be relocating the team to another city IF it were to happen?
It’s easy to forget that there’s people involved. Particularly the staff.

A farm team that’s located within bus distance of the rest of their division with great support from the local community should be seen as something to build around. I used to hope for a farm team in Victoria or Abbotsford, but now I think it would add unnecessary pressure and cut the opportunities for training. There’s also the issue of flying contributing to a higher risk of injury.

tyhee

Feb 5, 2015
Twitter Ads info and privacy
“We are very pleased to continue our partnership with Utica,” said general manager Jim Benning in a press release. “The Comets share our organization’s level of commitment and philosophy in player development, providing a strong environment for growth. We believe the culture in Utica, combined with the great fan support and atmosphere at games, will continue to be beneficial for the players in our system.”

:huh:

Did the deal include keeping BG, Orcatown and UticaHockey (plus those I've neglected to mention) posting here? For some of us, one of the major benefits to the farm team being in Utica is we get more complete information about our prospects in the AHL on here than other fans do from mainstream media.

Last edited:

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
If we hadn't found Utica, then I would be hoping for Abbotsford to be tried again. They were always behind the 8ball with all the lodging and travel agreements they made. Plus having unfamiliar prospects and connections to a rival team made it hard to manage anyway. Now we have, what, 4 teams in California? Travel would be easier if it were tried again.

Utica has been a great partner for us though. There is no reason to deal with relocating the staff, prospects and infrastructure to a new site if Utica is working. By gum it's working though! I'm glad we're renewing our agreement.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
If we hadn't found Utica, then I would be hoping for Abbotsford to be tried again. They were always behind the 8ball with all the lodging and travel agreements they made. Plus having unfamiliar prospects and connections to a rival team made it hard to manage anyway. Now we have, what, 4 teams in California? Travel would be easier if it were tried again.

Utica has been a great partner for us though. There is no reason to deal with relocating the staff, prospects and infrastructure to a new site if Utica is working. By gum it's working though! I'm glad we're renewing our agreement.
Unless the Canucks were looking at something in California, like Sacramento, Fresno, Long Beach, or whatever, to be with the 5 division rivals who have them there, I didn't see a reason to uproot the farm team.

Is it a bonus to have it close by like Chicago/Rockford, Anaheim/SD, LA/Ontario, CA, Arizona/Tuscon, etc? Yes, but 5 of our division rivals have their teams in California so we're talking either a 16 plus hour bus ride to play a division rival or hopping on a plane. So, it doesn't really work.

Plus, there's the economics of it. How have the Giants been drawing since they moved to Langley Event Centre? I've been hearing it's around 3.2K per game this year.

An AHL schedule is generally setup to play on twice on the weekend, Friday to Sunday, with 1 weekday game. So, to be a benefit to the Canucks, the Comets would have to have the same home schedule with them. So, will they draw well enough in Abbotsford on a Sat night when the Canucks are also playing on Sat night? I like the opt out clause, since we'll know in 2021 where Seattle locates their farm team. Could be in Idaho or they could go down to Cali. Don't think they would house their farm club in Washington St, with the 4 WHL teams there. Not sure if there is anywhere in Oregon that could support an AHL team.

Reactions: Jyrki21

Balls Mahoney

2015-2016 HF Premier League World Champion
Aug 14, 2008
Legend
I love this. The Utica program has been one of the best things the Canucks have done in the last decade. Having a good minor league program is of the utmost importance and we have such a great thing over there in Utica. It is of the most vital importance for the whole organization of the Canucks to make Utica successful and happy a key priority.

Reactions: Bitz and Bites

Seattle Totems

Apr 14, 2010
Having an AHL club in the same city as the parent makes sense for teams that have very good prospects and for clubs that want to attract top college free agents. That doesnt describe the Vancouver Canucks unfortunately.

Reactions: ErrantShepherd

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad