Speculation: Vancouver Canucks - Now 2nd in League Revenues !!!! Gillis know how to make $$$$

Wetcoaster

It's not even the Ken Holland approach. A million average to above average goalies come out of Europe every year.
It is if you listen to what Ken Holland says, but then what would he know about his own approach, eh.

"My feeling is if you can get one of the five or six best goalies in the league you can spend the money," Holland said. "We can't get into those guys, and the difference between the eighth goalie in the league and the 15th goalie, it's a big difference in money. It's not a big difference in performance.

"We drafted defensemen, we put money into defensemen, I think we really build our team around our defense. Our goaltenders really are a perfect fit for our team. We're not looking for them to steal a series, we're looking for them to make the key save at the right time, don't let any weak goals go in."​
http://articles.latimes.com/2008/may/27/sports/sp-elliott27

And Holland has also said in an interview at NHL.com:
"At some point you're putting your team together and deciding where to spend your money and you have to make a decision on how much of a difference-maker the goalie you're signing is," Detroit GM Ken Holland told NHL.com. "At the same time, if you are spending significant dollars on the best goalie, then the other guy is going to have much more money to spend on skaters. If you're dedicating $5 million or $6 million, that's coming out of somewhere else."​

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
You never see contending teams trading away producing players at the deadline for futures, especially when they have blatant holes in their team that said player was also helping to address.

He was producing because he was put in favourable positions to do so but he had to be protected. And in a big way. He was and still is a terrible 5-on-5 player and if we know one thing about AV is that terrible 5-on-5 players only see the press box when the important games come around. They were going to make the mvoe for a third line center regardless of Hodgson being moved (Pahlsson was acquired before they negotiated the Kassian deal). They were not going to use Hodgson. His camp was already whining about icetime and that would have continued. In short Hodgson was never going to be given a chance to be some sort of difference maker (which he isn't and wasn't). His value was going to go down. The timing was right.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
i don't know which was worse, the back and forth ubc finance class mansplaining or the rehashing of the cody trade and goalie gate again.

i guess at least with the first one, i can see what my life would have been like had i gone to ubc and majored in finance like my parents wanted.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
i don't know which was worse, the back and forth ubc finance class mansplaining or the rehashing of the cody trade and goalie gate again.

i guess at least with the first one, i can see what my life would have been like had i gone to ubc and majored in finance like my parents wanted.

Being in finance....that's not a road you want to go down ;)

GretzkysOffice

Feb 28, 2012
High revenue doesn't always mean high profits, but I've never been one to criticize the business of running & owning the Canucks since Gillis was crowned

it certainly does when everyone is operating under a cap system.

Derp Kassian

Jul 14, 2012
Vancouver
It is if you listen to what Ken Holland says, but then what would he know about his own approach, eh.

"My feeling is if you can get one of the five or six best goalies in the league you can spend the money," Holland said. "We can't get into those guys, and the difference between the eighth goalie in the league and the 15th goalie, it's a big difference in money. It's not a big difference in performance.

"We drafted defensemen, we put money into defensemen, I think we really build our team around our defense. Our goaltenders really are a perfect fit for our team. We're not looking for them to steal a series, we're looking for them to make the key save at the right time, don't let any weak goals go in."​
http://articles.latimes.com/2008/may/27/sports/sp-elliott27

And Holland has also said in an interview at NHL.com:
"At some point you're putting your team together and deciding where to spend your money and you have to make a decision on how much of a difference-maker the goalie you're signing is," Detroit GM Ken Holland told NHL.com. "At the same time, if you are spending significant dollars on the best goalie, then the other guy is going to have much more money to spend on skaters. If you're dedicating $5 million or $6 million, that's coming out of somewhere else."​

So why did they pay Jimmy Howard elite goalie money(under the last two caps)? He was pretty unproven but had a decent run for a year I guess. He's gotten outplayed by Jonas Freakin Gustavsson at times..

Fat Tony

Fire Benning
Nov 28, 2011
So why did they pay Jimmy Howard elite goalie money(under the last two caps)? He was pretty unproven but had a decent run for a year I guess. He's gotten outplayed by Jonas Freakin Gustavsson at times..

That does appear to be a mistake.

Wetcoaster

An incorrect assessment of Howard's level of play? That has been a constant theme of criticism of Holland recently by the media and fans.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad