Speculation: Vancouver Canucks - Now 2nd in League Revenues !!!! Gillis know how to make $$$$

canuckfan75

Jan 14, 2014
So now I understand all the hate from the Eastern Media. The Canucks charging hard towards the Toronto Maple Leafs. ( owned by Rodgers and Bell) They always take cheap shots towards Gillis and the Canucks. and Dreger has a personal issue thanks to Nonis. Even though I dissagree with a lot of people. I think Gillis is a very good gm who like anyone makes mistakes and has had a ton of bad luck or as lifetime fans know " Canucks Luck" he knows how to make $$$ and Aqua man is not going to show him the door.

Also keep in mind more revenue on the way with

1) 3 towers ( all rental office space ) that has been rumored to bring in $100 million dollars per year for the club

2) A huge sports bar and Night club in one of the towers.

3) New Food and Beverage Bussiness that will start at Rodgers Arena but will look for contracts in other Arenas or Venues

4) Rumours have them looking at buying the BC Lions in a few years

Here is what Tony Gallagher wrote in yesterday Province Hat Trick

Anyone assessing Gillis, Vancouver’s president and general manager, needs to remember the business side of things under the Gillis reign, which can be described as so much better than any other person in the history of the position.

While numbers can be manipulated in many ways, you could argue that in fact the Canucks have gone from seventh to second in the NHL in revenues during his time here. Yes, second.

You can argue he didn’t have much to do with it, that much of the credit goes to the coaching of Alain Vigneault, the great work of the players or the marketing department, or even Victor de Bonis or ownership, and you would be able to mount an argument. And you could further argue that given the mood of the city, those revenues could take a sudden plunge.

But that’s been the case while he’s here, and any general manager or president making that kind of progress is not likely to be easily dismissed by any owner without a lot of careful thought.

here is the link http://blogs.theprovince.com/2014/0...e-to-roost-and-gilliss-unrecognized-strength/

Last edited:

lush

@jasonlush
Sep 9, 2008
Vancouver
High revenue doesn't always mean high profits, but I've never been one to criticize the business of running & owning the Canucks since Gillis was crowned

Wisp

Nov 14, 2010
That's old news. Seasons and Half seasons ticket holders and corporate sponsors are luke warm about a mediocre on-ice-product. The Aquaman Family is getting nervous.

Pure West

Oct 3, 2005
Vancouver
I find 2nd hard to believe, but I suppose that's including all businesses in and around the Canucks hockey team. If so, there are scant details that really support this. They're certainly not 2nd in revenue as a hockey operation as I find it very difficult to believe we could be above Toronto and Montreal, and even the Rangers.

We know this is a very healthy business, but it is due for a bit of a drop off next season....particularly when the season ticket holders see the pennies on the dollar they're going to get on the secondary market for their tickets down the stretch here.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
I want this joke of an ownership group to stay far, far away from the BC Lions.

Sure they're making money today...these tickets were sold well before the majority of the fanbase came to a realization about how poorly constructed the team is. I highly doubt you'll see revenues continue to rise next season.

canuckfan75

Jan 14, 2014
Micheal D Gillis was suppose to wait for the team in Florida but he has taken off back to Vancouver. Gillman on the trip only

Is there a Rift ? ;)

bo2shink*

Sure they're making money today...these tickets were sold well before the majority of the fanbase came to a realization about how poorly constructed the team is. I highly doubt you'll see revenues continue to rise next season.

Joke? You should make the trip to San Jose some day and hit the old Wagon. Legendary.

#realfan

Jyrki

Benning has been purged! VANmen!
May 24, 2011
溫哥華
Leafs West, if this is true it's hardly a surprise.

If the team keeps embarrassing itself on the ice, it won't be for long. When was the last time you could get seats for $30 and lower bowl spots under $100 in the secondary market?

You can no longer turn a profit by being a Canucks STH. It won't be long until renewal numbers start dropping and ownership takes notice.

BoHorvatFan

Dec 13, 2009
Vancouver
When it comes to the GM all I care about is the team on the ice why the helldo I care how much money ownership makes? We're a non playoff team with one playoff win in three years that's all that matters.

Willting*

:help:

bo2shink*

Aquilini is also one of the cheapest owners in the league.

Go figure.

Really, head to the Old Wagon in SJ. His bar tab in one night was more than most people here make in 3 months.

While I am sure it's fun for some of you to toss out baseless accusations from the safety of a keyboard, you should at least make sure what you are saying makes sense.

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth

I'm still half n half on how I feel about Aqua CO. buying the Leos. On one hand they are local and have deep pockets which is always good for the CFL. On the other hand I can't imagine they have passion for the CFL or the Lions that a local owner should and it would be purely a financial and political endeavor. I could see the Aquamen looking at the Lions as something to add to the resume and application for a new NBA team more than it is for the good of the CFL and local sports team. If things go south quickly I could see them jumping ship and that could potentially hurt the Lions and the CFL in the long run.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
I honestly got to question the validity of this assertion..

Why does Tony use the language: "..numbers can be manipulated in many ways,.." and then continues with ".. you could argue that in fact the Canucks have gone from seventh to second"...

So isn't it totally obvious Tony is twisting whatever data he's looking at in favor of making the 2nd in the league "argument".

Jimson Hogarth*

Nov 21, 2013
Disgusting that this team makes so much money but can't afford to pay its workers a living wage. Absolutely shameful tactic from the ol' slum lords.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Really, head to the Old Wagon in SJ. His bar tab in one night was more than most people here make in 3 months.

While I am sure it's fun for some of you to toss out baseless accusations from the safety of a keyboard, you should at least make sure what you are saying makes sense.

There's a mayor of some city known for large bar tabs too...don't know how any of this is relevant though.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
I'm still half n half on how I feel about Aqua CO. buying the Leos. On one hand they are local and have deep pockets which is always good for the CFL. On the other hand I can't imagine they have passion for the CFL or the Lions that a local owner should and it would be purely a financial and political endeavor. I could see the Aquamen looking at the Lions as something to add to the resume and application for a new NBA team more than it is for the good of the CFL and local sports team. If things go south quickly I could see them jumping ship and that could potentially hurt the Lions and the CFL in the long run.

Personally I'm hoping for a group of local investors headed by Moray Keith to purchase the team, but who knows what will happen.

bo2shink*

There's a mayor of some city known for large bar tabs too...don't know how any of this is relevant though.

If we are speaking to cheapness, I wouldn't accuse Rob of that either.

Aquaman picked up the tab for everyone one night. 2 years later the management still talks about it. There was over 1000 shots + everything else. He was asked to leave for trying to get too firendly with staff.

Cheap they are not. Meddling? Maybe.

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth
Personally I'm hoping for a group of local investors headed by Moray Keith to purchase the team, but who knows what will happen.

If Braley really believes the Lions are worth what he's claimed I think he's going to have a hard time finding a local group unless it includes the Auquamen.

bo2shink*

I honestly got to question the validity of this assertion..

Why does Tony use the language: "..numbers can be manipulated in many ways,.." and then continues with ".. you could argue that in fact the Canucks have gone from seventh to second"...

So isn't it totally obvious Tony is twisting whatever data he's looking at in favor of making the 2nd in the league "argument".

Because Tony is a minor league ******* weasel.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Good on Gillis/Aqualini but pretty ridiculous to say this is why Toronto media hate us, that opinion is only going to make us look bad.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad