GDT: Vancouver Canucks @ Minnesota Wild: Feat. Moustache Miller

Tact

Jul 9, 2006
Boeser needs some serious help on how to move the puck along the boards in his own zone. He’s done it on many occasions where he’s scared+trapped and he brings the puck BACK to the defence below the goal line. That must drive the coaches nuts, it certainly drives me nuts. Never bring the puck back unless you’re 100% - you always want to bring the puck forward - chip it off the boards out of zone if you have no play. Bringing the puck back leads to getting hemmed in your own zone and creates scoring chances for other team.

Reverend Mayhem

Lowly Serf/Reluctant Cuckold
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC
And lose in the first round.

Don’t want mediocre. Want a Cup contender.

Team needs major changes.

I agree, wholeheartedly. However, this team is playing at a 106 point pace with Boudreau as of last night. That makes you question some things...but a lot of that lives and dies with Demko which is both a blessing and a problem.

supercanuck

Mar 2, 2016
Pettersson Horvat Garland
Pearson Miller Brock Boeser
HighMore Lammikko Lockwood
Podkolzin Richardson Whoever

Sucks for Podz but at least Richardson is a hard worker

Is EP on Bo's wing because of injury? Or is this something the Bruce thinks make sense?

Reactions: Love

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I think his wrist has prevented from taking face-offs but it hasn't been publicly acknowledged.

To be fair, he basically didn't take faceoffs from 2019-2021 with a healthy wrist, either. And this whole fanbase kept calling him a C even though he was basically JT Miller's winger.

Reactions: Vector

canuckking1

Feb 8, 2015
To be fair, he basically didn't take faceoffs from 2019-2021 with a healthy wrist, either. And this whole fanbase kept calling him a C even though he was basically JT Miller's winger.

This is revisionist history. Most C duties outside of faceoff taking belonged to EP for the most part.

Reactions: Play and Love

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
This is revisionist history. Most C duties outside of faceoff taking belonged to EP for the most part.

I'd love to go back and see some of the games from 19-20 and see if the on-ice positioning of Miller vs. Pettersson is any different from now or if we'd just stereotyped Miller as a 'winger taking faceoffs' and were projecting what we wanted to feel about Pettersson being a C.

Pettersson was unequivocally a wing on the PP where Horvat was the C.

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
Another great game.

Unfortunately the other 6 teams also had a great game so the team lost ground.

Hearing a lot of Miller made a mistake stuff.

IT WAS NOT MILLER IT WAS HUGHES!!!!!

Where the hell was he? He is a defenceman.

Miller just shot the puck and Petey was laying in the corner on the ice again.

Hughes coasted into the far corner and coasted around to watch Miller try to catch one player while trying to defend a possible pass.

He knew he would be thrown under the bus, can't have Huggy Bear getting any blame.

Hughes plays defence like it is a suggestion

iFan

May 5, 2013
Calgary
Miller and Hughes should be the last of guys to blame, they’ve both been great and aren’t the problem, the problem is a poor team make up, lack of speed, grit, toughnes, size, team defensive play. The problem isn’t one or two players or even any of our top players including Boeser it’s how its all put together. Blaming a player or two shows a person’s inability to understand the bigger problem here.

Reactions: Draino

supercanuck

Mar 2, 2016
Drafting a C at 5 overall, and not letting him take faceoffs and work on it in-game is so silly to me. Especially when we had Malholtra at the time to work with him on it. God forbid he loses a faceoff and we get blown out 6-1 instead of 5-1.

Draino

Mar 1, 2017
Vancouver
Miller and Hughes should be the last of guys to blame, they’ve both been great and aren’t the problem, the problem is a poor team make up, lack of speed, grit, toughnes, size, team defensive play. The problem isn’t one or two players or even any of our top players including Boeser it’s how its all put together. Blaming a player or two shows a person’s inability to understand the bigger problem here.

I agree with this. The way I see it the D as a whole is poorly constructed and the forward lines have holes in them. Last night showed that the forward core doesnt have enough size and grit - its why I think that this team cant take the next step with so many small/slight forwards on the roster- Garland, Hoglander(Petan last night), Pettersson. Thats 1/3 of our top 9. Every D position outside of Hughes and Schenn needs to be upgraded.

I love what Garland brings to the table but IMHO hes the odd man out this summer. Good contract, can produce roughly 35-45 points...can flip him for an upgrade to a D man or a bigger forward that can still produce in the 30-40 pt range.

Reactions: iFan

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
Hughes had moved down to retrieve the puck from the corner after Miller shot it. Miller was high covering Hughes. Hughes centered it to Pettersson who was dumped and had the puck stolen.

Then this happened:

Reactions: mossey3535

iFan

May 5, 2013
Calgary
Hughes had moved down to retrieve the puck from the corner after Miller shot it. Miller was high covering Hughes. Hughes centered it to Pettersson who was dumped and had the puck stolen.

Then this happened:

so what exactly are you trying to say? If Miller doesn’t score we don’t make it to OT. Trying to blame the lost on Miller or Hughes is foolish and incredibly lazy. These players play 5 on 5, the PP and the PK And were a huge reason why we were able to get a point. It’s a team make up issue, blaming the lost on Miller or Hughes is ridiculous, why was it only Miller and Horvat who scored? If one of the other players scored we could’ve won before going into OT.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
if we're being honest, demko also should not have bit so hard on that very basic forehand deke. that's my favourite deke* not because it is good but because my brain freezes on breakways. it is very saveable for a 6' 5" goalie and should end up in the pads 9/10 times even if he initially bites on the backhand. the equivalent of allowing an unscreened 50' wrist shot for an nhl goalie.

*my only deke if we're being honest.

Reactions: Draino

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
You know, there's still a high degree of probability that this team falls short in the playoff race....but the last couple of games provide proof positive that this team never quits and probably deserved a lot better fate. Three out of four points in Denver and Minny on a back-to-back? Not many current NHL teams could pull that off.

This roster is still flawed, but under Boudreau this team will never say die and leaves it out on the ice night after night. Just too bad it took 25 games for ownership to clean house and install decent coaching behind the bench.

But their record under Boudreau of .600 after 40 games is no accident. The 'sample size' is too large for it just to be a brief spurt under a new coach. Gives you come optimism for the off-season for the first time in years.

Reactions: RussianRacket

RussianRacket

He/Him/His Pronouns
Dec 29, 2019
Coast Salish Unceded Territory
You know, there's still a high degree of probability that this team falls short in the playoff race....but the last couple of games provide proof positive that this team never quits and probably deserved a lot better fate. Three out of four points in Denver and Minny on a back-to-back? Not many current NHL teams could pull that off.

This roster is still flawed, but under Boudreau this team will never say die and leaves it out on the ice night after night. Just too bad it took 25 games for ownership to clean house and install decent coaching behind the bench.

But their record under Boudreau of .600 after 40 games is no accident. The 'sample size' is too large for it just to be a brief spurt under a new coach. Gives you come optimism for the off-season for the first time in years.
Agreed, I feel very very optimistic about this team. Tough home stand but literally all the chips were against us in Colorado and Minny (travel, refs) and 3/4.

strattonius

Jul 4, 2011
Surrey, BC
if we're being honest, demko also should not have bit so hard on that very basic forehand deke. that's my favourite deke* not because it is good but because my brain freezes on breakways. it is very saveable for a 6' 5" goalie and should end up in the pads 9/10 times even if he initially bites on the backhand. the equivalent of allowing an unscreened 50' wrist shot for an nhl goalie.

*my only deke if we're being honest.

It's a breakaway and there are countless variables including dekes, head fakes, skate pivots etc. that effect the way the goalie moves or pivots. Often we don't see them because it's at such high speed. It's not the same skill as a 50ft wrister, not even remotely the same at all and *if we're being honest* a completely stupid take.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
It's a breakaway and there are countless variables including dekes, head fakes, skate pivots etc. that effect the way the goalie moves or pivots. Often we don't see them because it's at such high speed. It's not the same skill as a 50ft wrister, not even remotely the same at all and *if we're being honest* a completely stupid take.

watch it again. it's as meat and potatoes a deke as you will see. if your point is you should never blame a goalie for allowing a breakaway goal, i can see the argument if they play it properly, but i think demko will tell you he should have had position to have his right pad covering the right post until he was sure. there was nothing i can see that justified overcommitting to his left. he was beat on a basic move.

to me that's roughly as great a sin as hughes making a bad pass in the ozone losing possession or miller as last man back failing to take the man/anticipate eriksson-ek's little burst of speed to get separation. all mistakes that get made in hockey games.

also, comments like "completely stupid take" always gets me demerits with mods here. ymmv.

Reactions: Canuckle1970

Tomatoes11

Dec 25, 2021

40 games isn’t insignificant but it’s also not that large. That’s why they have 82 games and Montreal last year fluked out a lot more than 40 games and they are not a legit contender in any way shape or form.

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
I'd love to go back and see some of the games from 19-20 and see if the on-ice positioning of Miller vs. Pettersson is any different from now or if we'd just stereotyped Miller as a 'winger taking faceoffs' and were projecting what we wanted to feel about Pettersson being a C.

Pettersson was unequivocally a wing on the PP where Horvat was the C.

The second part is absolutely correct. No one is even close to Horvat for the PP in draws.

1648239847226.png

The discrepancy looks a bit deceiving given the difference in games played, but Miller essentially takes 1.85x more faceoffs per game compared to Pettersson (32% more draws in 74% of the games). Which I think about checks out intuitively over that stretch - for every one draw Pettersson took, Miller would "swoop in" for two.

Quite surprised tbh at Bo's FO numbers though. Not that it actually matters lol, but he's actually #1 in the league in draws taken over that time. Didn't know that; would've figured it might have been brought up at some point during a broadcast or something (or maybe it has and I missed it)

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
The second part is absolutely correct. No one is even close to Horvat for the PP in draws.

View attachment 521679

The discrepancy looks a bit deceiving given the difference in games played, but Miller essentially takes 1.85x more faceoffs per game compared to Pettersson (32% more draws in 74% of the games). Which I think about checks out intuitively over that stretch - for every one draw Pettersson took, Miller would "swoop in" for two.

Quite surprised tbh at Bo's FO numbers though. Not that it actually matters lol, but he's actually #1 in the league in draws taken over that time. Didn't know that; would've figured it might have been brought up at some point during a broadcast or something (or maybe it has and I missed it)

Pettersson was mostly a C at ES in 18-19 as a rookie when he took over 600 faceoffs. In 19-20, he took only 140.

At the time, the narrative was that JT Miller was a winger and that Pettersson was 'really' the C.

Two years later, with Miller entrenched as a top #1C and Pettersson playing lots on the wing ... was the narrative at that time really correct, or were we all just seeing what we wanted to see because we were emotionally attached to the notion of Pettersson as a franchise #1C?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad