GDT: Vancouver Canucks @ Minnesota Wild: Feat. Moustache Miller

RussianRacket

He/Him/His Pronouns
Dec 29, 2019
Coast Salish Unceded Territory
Huge win last night against a very good Aves team.

5 PM start in the Wild City.

Demko presumably gets the start

1648137147800.png

1648137168747.png

GO CANUCKS GO!

Last edited:

RutherPlan

Jan 2, 2022
a win tonight and we're back in the playoff race. WC2 and 3rd place in the division is entirely up for grabs still but the best part is, Canucks are actually playing meaningful games in April.

We would definitely be in the playoffs if it wasn't for that 25 game stretch of Green hockey.

Reactions: RussianRacket

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
a win tonight and we're back in the playoff race. WC2 and 3rd place in the division is entirely up for grabs still but the best part is, Canucks are actually playing meaningful games in April.

We would definitely be in the playoffs if it wasn't for that 25 game stretch of Green hockey.
Benning and co should have been canned at the end of last season. Would have prevented so many more Benning mistakes and put this team in a better position to succeed. Probably be in a playoff position at this point

RutherPlan

Jan 2, 2022
Benning and co should have been canned at the end of last season. Would have prevented so many more Benning mistakes and put this team in a better position to succeed. Probably be in a playoff position at this point

tbf, other than Dermott, this is a 99% Benning Roster. The Abbotsford Canucks are a top 10 team in the AHL which is also a 100% Benning roster. The player personnel wasn't the problem, it was the coach.

Benning did fail in other aspects though which was investing into player morale, facilities, management hires which also indirectly affects team performance on the ice.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
tbf, other than Dermott, this is a 99% Benning Roster. The Abbotsford Canucks are a top 10 team in the AHL which is also a 100% Benning roster. The player personnel wasn't the problem, it was the coach.

Benning did fail in other aspects though which was investing into player morale, facilities, management hires which also indirectly affects team performance on the ice.
The players had a well known bozo running their team, hard to have the motivation day in day out with that. Benning getting canned gave them a HUGE boost. 8 years with bad results, all the players were aware of this, and how we spent to the max every year, had no prospect pool and made a MONDO gamble in the offseason with OEL that clearly was another Benning blunder

If we a recognize it (outside of the odd hilarious Benning supporter) surely the players recognize it and have taken a step fwd

Reactions: Ozone

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Hopefully they don't follow up one of their most impressive efforts of the season with a total dud.

Anyone remember when we had one of the best teams in franchise history, backed by Luongo in net, but any trip to Minnesota was almost guranteed to end in him getting the hook and the team getting its face caved in?

Hopefully we built up enough karmic slack there to knock off the Wild tonight! Let's go, boys!

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
I remember us winning a game at The Excel Center in the 2019-20 season...Marky was outstanding in the 3rd, and Miller played a dominating game...This broke years and years of losing in that building.

The Wild are a good team, and winning B2B is never easy...I'll be impressed if the Canucks can pull the rabbit out of the hat in this game.

BWJM

Sponsor
Mar 16, 2011
Great start time. I can crack the beers early tonight. Will we face MAF?

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
All Minnesota games are a blur of bore

Probably jinxing it, but I feel like that's finally changed in the last few seasons. They've been a lot more fun to watch - Kaprizov for sure, but they've got a pretty talented group that can open up and ventilate teams.

Far cry from the "trap or death" teams they employed for the longest of times.

Canuckle1970

Mar 24, 2010
Minny has talent, but they're also a heavy punishing team. There will be blood.

And, yes, they'll probably start Fleury against us. GO DEMKO!

Reactions: Ozone

GuerinUp

Aug 1, 2009
Columbia Heights, MN
Great start time. I can crack the beers early tonight. Will we face MAF?

Minny has talent, but they're also a heavy punishing team. There will be blood.

And, yes, they'll probably start Fleury against us. GO DEMKO!

extremely unlikely, talbot just got a shutout against vegas and they gave Flower an extra day to move his family.

Reactions: mossey3535 and BWJM

shottasasa

Nov 16, 2011
Canada

Don't really agree. The roster had/has major flaws, particularly speed on the back end and decent penalty killers. I don't think they're quite as good as their record is under Boudreau. Their top players have regressed closer to norms but they've largely ridden hot goaltending. They look like a team that is around 12-17 in the league in terms of talent and have maxed the cap and mortgaged the future (in cap space AND assets) to be this. That is horrendous.

The players had maybe tuned out Green a bit, but I'm also pretty sure the players had lost confidence in the management and direction of the team and it showed. Like other professions that perhaps posters in this board have experience with, if the rank and file or key employees have lost faith in upper management and don't believe in them, it can affect motivation and performance across the board. They still put a shift in and work "hard", but results will inevitably suffer over the long term. I think that the change in management had as much to do with the turnaround as the change in coaching.

As for the AHL team, who cares if they're a top 10 team if it's almost all driven by a bunch of vets? There are maybe 6 young players (Klimovich, Lockwood, Rathbone, Woo, DiPietro, and Silovs) that have even a half-decent chance of being replacement level NHLers, and maybe only 2 that have a decent chance of having any sort of lasting impact. That's atrocious for a team that has been a perennial loser for 8 years.

Reactions: me2 and mossey3535

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad