Post-Game Talk: Vancouver Canucks Eliminated from the Playoffs

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Nothing that happened under Boudreau's tenure is the reason they're going home early. For two-thirds of the season the Canucks 'were' a playoff team.

But when you go 8-15-4 in your first 26 games or so, the season is basically 'lost' no matter how well you play the rest of the way. And the guy who wears the goat-horns for this season is clearly the owner.

He aggressively championed Benning as his GM during the off-season, and came up with every excuse in the book as to why the Canucks basically crapped out last season in the Canadian Division.

Then he allowed Jimbo to convince him to re-sign Green as the coach. And then was forced to fire both of them by November.

But every disaster has a silver lining. Aquilini was finally forced to actually listen to the fans--hiring one of NHL's most experienced hockey executives and let him fill out his hockey ops staff with 'hands-off' from the owner.

So this season won't be in vain for the long term as long as the new mandate from ownership actually holds up.

Svencouver

Apr 8, 2015
Vancouver
It was a fun race. Some good, some bad. I think the team took a step in a lot of regards and simultaneously rid themselves of their greatest sources of malaise and rot (Benning, Weisbrod, Green, etc.). Optimistic that the team will take another step next year and push for ~2nd in the division. It was pretty incredible how much they dug themselves out of that hole and made things interesting down the stretch, even with some players like EP struggling with injuries and confidence for a lot of the season.

Boudreau is a great coach for this team and I think they'll only get better with a full summer and training camp to internalize his systems. Hoping for a Calgary or Florida-esque breakout next season, with big breakout performances and strong starts led by Petey and Podkolzin!

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
You dodged my question. At what time would you say the Canucks should have traded Juolevi and what was the expected return?
At least 12 months earlier. Benning watched and watched and watched this guy and thought he could turn it around. Then watched him some more and was still convinced King after it was obvious it wasn't going to happen. How does the GM that sees him the most have the worst read on the player? Either Benning has no eye for talent or he was too afraid to admit he wasted a top 5 pick.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
At least 12 months earlier. Benning watched and watched and watched this guy and thought he could turn it around. Then watched him some more and was still convinced King after it was obvious it wasn't going to happen. How does the GM that sees him the most have the worst read on the player? Either Benning has no eye for talent or he was too afraid to admit he wasted a top 5 pick.
He didn't wait long enough for Jared McCann. That or he fell in love with NoGoodBranSuck.

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
Florida wanted McCann, they suckered Benning in with Gudbranson.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005

But this is what you said in July 2019 (which I don't disagree with):

Neither are getting traded

1. they have limited value, might as well hold on.

2. PR nightmare of getting a 2nd or 3rd for a 5th OA and 6th OA pick

3. Virtanen bring value to the team, his contract is dirt cheap. Juolevi is still on his ELC and waivers exempt so they will persist.

The team will keep them and hope for miracle breakouts, it doesn't have any other choice.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad