Proposal: Vancouver and Edmonton (Proposal)

zar

Bleed Blue
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2010
Edmonton AB
  1. Nurse is going nowhere... the decision for both side right now is long-term or short-term... what works best for the player and the team. Not sure why he is even being brought up in this thread.
  2. The Oilers are not trading anything of value of a #7 Dman... a left handed one at that.
  3. Pouliot is a #7 D (or worse) on most teams, has not shown promise of anything more.
  4. The Oilers are not trading a 2nd round pick for Pouliot, even if the Canucks retained 100% of his salary (which I am fully aware they can't).

ConnorMcNugesaitl

Sep 23, 2012
Vancouver offer's Derrick Pouliot @ 50%

for

Edmonton's 2019 2nd

Pouliot is a LHD offensive Dman that can play RHD, which is Edmonton short fall
(Cost $1,100,000 per year for 1 year @ 50% = a Cool $550,000, which is below what you could get
any player out of UFA...…...Pouliot has potential)

Nurse is going to cost big time, and there may yet be a casualty in the fall out

I'm not even sure Pouliot makes sense for Edmonton to grab off waivers.

I can't see them trading for him.

I would however like the Brandon Sutter 50% for a 2nd trade but that might require some equivalent pieces instead of a 2nd because of the current cap situation.

zcaptain

Apr 4, 2012
The thing you're ignoring here is that Derrick Pouliot sucks at hockey and isn't worth a 2nd round pick. The Oilers wouldn't even remotely improve by trading for him, they'd actually probably get worse by adding him. Pouliot would be Jultz 2.0 for the Oilers, maybe even worse than that.

This is the perfect quote to answer...….

First off...……..my belief is that McDavid and Draisaitl are the Next Crosby and Malkin, in terms of skill and age, and playing on the same team...….I think everyone sees this

The difference is the rest of the team, where they have depth, you do not

Secondly, ……..Horvat our best young player, is not as good as either of them....by a long shot, which makes me ask why were you guys so bad last year.....(like 4 spots better than the rebuilding Canucks)

I would suggest to you Oiler fans, that quite possibly your depth isn't as strong as you think, and you arrogantly, knock players on other teams, because you do not know the difference...…...this will lead us to point 3

Point 3,...……..you wish you had Justin Schultz...….you couldn't see his talent, and wanted him to be something else
make you wonder how he scored those 51 point 2 years ago? and got the contract he has? But you guys ran him out of town...……

Point 4.....Take a look at your comments about Lucic…….man there was some great posts...Stanley Cup here we come.
Now you are all over him...….same guy......but it doesn't seem to matter with you guys...….

So I ask, have you guys ever considered that each team may have some better players than some of yours? That maybe the Canucks have is equal or better than yours? And you don't recognize it?

Now, I never advertised Pouliot for anything better than a #7, but if you guys plan on being in the playoffs anytime soon, you had better appreciate the players around the league that may be as good as your own...…..or that if and when they come, you do not chase them away, like JS

Man I like your players, but I really wonder about their fans...…………...Enjoy your Gravel

Reactions: Canadian Canuck

ConnorMcNugesaitl

Sep 23, 2012

First off...……..my belief is that McDavid and Draisaitl are the Next Crosby and Malkin, in terms of skill and age, and playing on the same team...….I think everyone sees this

Secondly, ……..Horvat our best young player, is not as good as either of them....by a long shot, which makes me ask why were you guys so bad last year.....(like 4 spots better than the rebuilding Canucks)

I would suggest to you Oiler fans, that quite possibly your depth isn't as strong as you think, and you arrogantly, knock players on other teams, because you do not know the difference...…...this will lead us to point 3

Point 3,...……..you wish you had Justin Schultz...….you couldn't see his talent, and wanted him to be something else
make you wonder how he scored those 51 point 2 years ago? and got the contract he has? But you guys ran him out of town...……

Point 4.....Take a look at your comments about Lucic…….man there was some great posts...Stanley Cup here we come.
Now you are all over him...….same guy......but it doesn't seem to matter with you guys...….

So I ask, have you guys ever considered that each team may have some better players than some of yours? That maybe the Canucks have is equal or better than yours? And you don't recognize it?

Now, I never advertised Pouliot for anything better than a #7, but if you guys plan on being in the playoffs anytime soon, you had better appreciate the players around the league that may be as good as your own...…..or that if and when they come, you do not chase them away, like JS

Man I like your players, but I really wonder about their fans...…………...Enjoy your Gravel

Oilers don't need a #7 defenseman though and an "upgrade" at 7th defense isn't what's going to make the difference between the Oilers making the playoffs or not.

You suggested a player that doesn't fill a need and demanded excessive value for that player.

JuniorNelson

Jan 21, 2010
E.Vancouver
The value jump from early to late in the second round is pronounced. An early second is a lot for Pouliot, IMO. If picks are divided into ten pick segments, I think Pouliot is worth a middle pick and is a bargain for a later pick.

Thorvat

Jul 8, 2018
The value jump from early to late in the second round is pronounced. An early second is a lot for Pouliot, IMO. If picks are divided into ten pick segments, I think Pouliot is worth a middle pick and is a bargain for a later pick.
Realistically he's probably worth a third. Not sure he's worth trading for what we would get. I personally liked his game over some of the vets in our lineup.

JuniorNelson

Jan 21, 2010
E.Vancouver
Canucks need all their defensemen, IMO. The cadence of the team will be different, so the scheme will evolve. If Green's forwards come back for shallow passes puck moving will be less of an issue. If playmaking emerges shooting defensemen may come into vogue. The returnees skillsets might not mesh. I think they'd be better off losing guys on waivers after determining they don't fit then dealing them for picks now.

Canucks seem like they are planning a giant series of moves at the deadline, as rookies displace veterans. Green is obviously advocating veterans for immediate contention but there are rookies being blocked if all the vets play. Green might ride vets early, sheltering rookies. The older guys will be gassed by February and obsolete by March. Canucks are younger and faster down the stretch.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA

A. I'm not an Oilers fan, I'm a Penguins fan who watched Derrick Pouliot for 4 seasons. Trust me, he's trash.
B. Pouliot isn't the kind of depth that will help the Oilers. Their depth is bad right now, but Pouliot is not a good player.
C. Pouliot will never become anything even close to Schultz, he'd be the horrible version of Schultz on Edmonton all over again.

You seem to be taking this personally that Oilers fans don't want Pouliot and everyone knows that Pouliot sucks. Just keep him, he's a waiver caliber player at this point.

zcaptain

Apr 4, 2012
A. I'm not an Oilers fan, I'm a Penguins fan who watched Derrick Pouliot for 4 seasons. Trust me, he's trash.
B. Pouliot isn't the kind of depth that will help the Oilers. Their depth is bad right now, but Pouliot is not a good player.
C. Pouliot will never become anything even close to Schultz, he'd be the horrible version of Schultz on Edmonton all over again.

You seem to be taking this personally that Oilers fans don't want Pouliot and everyone knows that Pouliot sucks. Just keep him, he's a waiver caliber player at this point.

Look, I apoligize for my rant, last night......but I get totally frustrated with the so call experts here that continually pss on proposals while not offering up anything different, or offering up an explanation as to while their team finishes with less than 10 points difference in the standing, with 2 of the best young centermen in the game. Obviously something is wrong with their thinking.

I get that a group of fans may not like a player, and don't want them, as most fan bases over value their own players and devalue opposing players....this includes me too. I get that.

But what sets me off, is that in most cases, they haven't seen a player enough to actually evaluate that player, nor have an educated opinion. Calling Pouliot "trash" is just foolish......compared to who? Compared to Gravel? Even Bear, who I like as a prospect, isn't proven, while as Pouliot has played over a 100 games in the NHL and moving towards 200. Now, I can see that Pouliot makes mistakes, but he still has a ceiling with is obtainable (unlike Gravel), and his point totals last year, puts him in a position to be compared with a lot of NHL defensemen.

But that wasn't even what set me off, as the post directly above that particular post, suggested that Sutter was only worth a late 2nd, but basically implied that they wouldn't give that up and would probably offer "other" pieces. Sutter is a great defensive centerman, who is above average in FO's and is always put up against the other teams top centers....and gets no respect from that. It just blows me away as to what fan bases think their teams need and what opposing players are worth

Anyways...enough whining on my part...….

It makes me laugh though...….I even question myself on this sometime, as 2nds are not all the same value, and if you think your team is in the top 1/2 of the league, your 2nd does not have the same 30% success rate as the teams which draft high in the 2nd round......but you can't tell a fan base this.....they will just insult you.

I also laugh a little with teams tight to the cap, who do not see the value of another team paying part of your traded players salary, as they think money grows on trees...…...maybe that is why owners are Millionaires and we are not....they know the value of money

PS...…..I would much rather people respectfully counter with a realistic proposal, trying to take away something from a proposal that can be built on.....like "yeah, not keen on Pouliot, but I realize Vancouver is trying to build and has extra cap space, so how about MDZ at 50% for a 2nd and 6th......to which I reply, a 2nd and 4th, and someone else pipes in a 2nd and a 5th...…...and then their is real consensus…...and no one get their "feeling" hurt, like I did (Silly me!)

Anyways....it's a nice day outside...…..time to get out there.
Which is kind of crazy if you think about it

Flamesjustwin

Oct 8, 2010
London ON
  1. Nurse is going nowhere... the decision for both side right now is long-term or short-term... what works best for the player and the team. Not sure why he is even being brought up in this thread

Nurse does not want a long term deal as per his agent.

Chayos

Mar 6, 2003
Winnipeg
Pouliot is not a good fit for the oilers right now. Bear and Bouchard are both better options that actually shoot right. The oilers cannot trade high picks for the foreseeable future as they need entry level contracts to fill holes created by cap casualties.

ConnorMcNugesaitl

Sep 23, 2012

That's a misquote. His agent said he didn't think they had the cap space to sign him to a long term deal at this point. the suggestion was that they didn't have the cap space to offer him enough to sign long term not that he wasn't interested in signing long term.

Of course the issue there is what exactly does Nurse think he's worth that they can't afford him on a long term deal but you're making it sound like he doesn't want to stay which isn't what was said.

Reactions: zar

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton

When you say things like ‘as per his agent’ you might wanna list the whole quote.

‘They’ve sent us a proposal and we’ll see where it goes.’

Here’s the pertinent part, so pay attention

‘I don’t see with their cap space being what it is that they can entice us with much term’

This is not about Nurse not wanting to be here long term as you seem to imply. It’s recognizing that with our current cap situation we can’t offer him a long term deal, and everyone knows that.

Reactions: zar

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
That's a misquote. His agent said he didn't think they had the cap space to sign him to a long term deal at this point. the suggestion was that they didn't have the cap space to offer him enough to sign long term not that he wasn't interested in signing long term.

Of course the issue there is what exactly does Nurse think he's worth that they can't afford him on a long term deal but you're making it sound like he doesn't want to stay which isn't what was said.

New York giving Skjei that idiotic deal definitely complicates things but he’ll get Edmundson/Montour money.

Thorvat

Jul 8, 2018

I think expectations were so high in pit for Pouliot because of his draft position that he is considered trash by pens fans. I am not sure how much you watched him last year but I think he made strides to becoming a solid dman. He may never live up to his draft pedigree and the high expectations pens fans had for him but that doesn't make him trash.

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
Pouliot at 50% might return a 4th or a 5th

a 2nd from a team that was just bottom 10? yeah no

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad