Vancouver 2010 Roster Projections (Top 7 Nations)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr Kanadensisk

May 13, 2005
Unlike your absurd assertion with little supporting evidence, I’ve provided much that suggests Morozov would be an NHL star today. Remember, when he played in NHL he was a 4th line/replacement player for the national team. Today, he’s arguably the teams 4th best winger behind Kovalchuk, Ovechkin and Semin (ahead of Frolov, Kovalev, Zherdev, etc.)….a national team that is much better than it was 10 years ago mind you.

For instance, he’s been faaaaar better than Radulov in every aspect of the game this year (including on NHL ice at WC) and Radulov was a lock to be Nashville’s ‘go-to’ winger.

Lot's of players have had a good game(s) at the WC's / OG's that turned out to be not good enough to make it in the NHL, especially when playing on a line with superior players. Results in an inferior league, with inferior competition, on big ice, with almost no physical play, mean next to nothing when evaluating how he would do in the NHL.

Is this really about Morozov for you? Or is it about the fact that most Russians are humiliated about the state of their country and the fact that all their best athletes end up leaving to play somewhere else and that they haven't won a tournament of any significance in almost 3 decades. So in an attempt to save face they greatly overstate the success of domestic products like Morozov and the KHL.

Last edited by a moderator:

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don
Lot's of players have had a good game(s) at the WC's / OG's that turned out to be not good enough to make it in the NHL, especially when playing on a line with superior players. Results in an inferior league, with inferior competition, on big ice, with almost no physical play, mean next to nothing when evaluating how he would do in the NHL.

Except Morozov has proven he can play in the NHL (7 year vet). And considering he's 10 times the player he was just 3 years ago....it would be no different in NHL. Yep, he'd be close to a point-per-game player.

Is this really about Morozov for you? Or is it about the fact that most Russians are humiliated about the state of their country and the fact that all their best athletes end up leaving to play somewhere else and that they haven't won a tournament of any significance in almost 3 decades. So in an attempt to save face they greatly overstate the success of domestic products like Morozov and the KHL.

With nothing close to a reseblance of an argument, I can see why you're attempting to change the subject:laugh:

zecke26

Jan 16, 2003
the flaming and trolling stops right here. stay on-topic and discuss civilly.

first and last warning!

Mr Kanadensisk

May 13, 2005
Yep, he'd be close to a point-per-game player.

Yep, which if he was lucky might now translate to 20 or even 30 points a season. Most impressive was the .23 points per game he averaged in the NHL playoffs. A real star!

Last edited:

zecke26

Jan 16, 2003
He had a point a game in his injured season, in the dead puck era.
Put him in today's NHL and he kicks ass.

not sure if he would kick ass, but the new NHL should work well for him. so a decent 1st liner is what i'd expect.

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
how many other countries have enough talent to field two teams with a legit shot at a medal

How many countries have that much talent and didn't even make it to the final last time around? I bet most other top-5 teams could field a B team as strong as Finland's A choice was last time around...

Mr Kanadensisk

May 13, 2005
How many countries have that much talent and didn't even make it to the final last time around? I bet most other top-5 teams could field a B team as strong as Finland's A choice was last time around...

The OG is such a short tournament that the top 6 teams have about an equal chance at winning. I'm pretty sure if you repeated the tournament 5 times you'd probably get a different set of finalists each time.

Slitty

Oct 23, 2005
i'm not trying to be accurate, just what I'D like to see happen based on what I'VE seen
I was referring to your comment that the lineup amnesiac posted was accurate.
In any case, there will almost certainly be anywhere from 5 to 10 current KHLers on the team.

OldGreatWestern

Aug 27, 2008
I'll agree with this one eventhough I haven't looked at many of the other lists. It's almost identical to what I would post except Doan would replace Gagne. I doubt he'll ever be at 100%

I also think Mike Richards will get a spot over Spezza at centre in a checking/grind role. I'm also not convinced Broduer will play in the 2010 Olympics.

Might as well do my lineup:

Lecavalier-Crosby-Iginla
Nash-Getzlaf-Heatley
Staal-Thornton-Toews
Morrow-Richards-Doan

Niedermayer-Pronger
Phaneuf-Bouwmeester
Green-Burns

Luongo
Turco

This one^^^ Except I would bail Toews and put Marleau with Thornton and Staal

futurekos22*

Team Canada

Crosby - Lecavalier - Iginla
Heatley - Thornton - Nash
Gagne - Getzlaf - St.louis/Richards/Carter
Smyth/Morrow/Kariya - Sakic - Doan

Pronger-Weber
Neidermayer-Boyle
Bouwmeester - Green
Keith, Burns, Phaneuf

Luongo
Brodeur

Team Russia

Ovechkin-Datsyuk-Semin
Kovalchuk-Malkin-Kozlov
Frolov-Yashin-Kovalev
Morozov-Federov-Zherdev

Zubov-Gonchar
A.Markov-Volchenkov
Tyutin-D.Markov/Babchuk

Nabokov
Khabibulin

Team Czech Republic

Elias-Straka-Jagr
Havlat-Sykora-Hejduk
Prospal-Krejci-Hemsky
Plekanec-Lang-Erat

Spacek-Kaberle
Kubina-Hamrlik
Klesla-Zidlicky/Kuba

Vokoun
Pavelec

Team Finland

T.Ruutu-O.Jokinen-Selanne
Hagman-S.Koivu-Lehtinen
Filppula-M.Koivu-Miettinen
J.Ruutu-Nokailenen-Peltonen

Timonen-Salo
Lydman-Pitkanen
Vaananen-Numminen

Kipprusoff
Backstrom

Team Sweden

Naslund-Zetterberg-Alfredsson
D.Sedin-H.Sedin-Sundin
Holmstrom-Backstrom-Franzen
Huselius-Pahlsson-Modin

Lidstrom-Ohlund
Kronvall-Edler
Havelid-Tallinder/Johnsson

Lundqvist
Hedberg

Team Slovak

Palffy?-Demitra-Gaborik
Satan-Stumpel-Hossa
Zednik-Handzus-Svatos
Nagy-Hossa-Kopecky/Radivojevic

Chara-Mezsaros
Visnovksy-Sekera
Jurcina-Mezei

Halak
Budaj

Team USA

Parise - Stastny - Cole
Kessel - Gomez/Connolly-Kane
Brown - Kesler - Langenbrunner
Modano-Drury-Backes
Ryan

Rafalski-Suter
Hatcher-Ballard
Orpik-Martin
Komisarek, Corvo

Thomas
Dipetro/Miller

futurekos22*

I don't know which Kozlov you mean, but neither will be on the team. Furthermore, Yashin hasn't played centre in two years, nor has he been invited to the national team in that timespan. And as with most unrealistic projections for Russia, yours also needs more KHLers. :)

I suppose you can sub in radulov for that 2nd line RW, if either kozlov isn't playing.
I could put federov on that 3rd line center, if yashin doesn't play.

Macke*

Team Canada

Crosby - Lecavalier - Iginla
Heatley - Thornton - Nash
Gagne - Getzlaf - St.louis/Richards/Carter
Smyth/Morrow/Kariya - Sakic - Doan

Pronger-Weber
Neidermayer-Boyle
Bouwmeester - Green
Keith, Burns, Phaneuf

Luongo
Brodeur

Team Russia

Ovechkin-Datsyuk-Semin
Kovalchuk-Malkin-Kozlov
Frolov-Yashin-Kovalev
Morozov-Federov-Zherdev

Zubov-Gonchar
A.Markov-Volchenkov
Tyutin-D.Markov/Babchuk

Nabokov
Khabibulin

Team Czech Republic

Elias-Straka-Jagr
Havlat-Sykora-Hejduk
Prospal-Krejci-Hemsky
Plekanec-Lang-Erat

Spacek-Kaberle
Kubina-Hamrlik
Klesla-Zidlicky/Kuba

Vokoun
Pavelec

Team Finland

T.Ruutu-O.Jokinen-Selanne
Hagman-S.Koivu-Lehtinen
Filppula-M.Koivu-Miettinen
J.Ruutu-Nokailenen-Peltonen

Timonen-Salo
Lydman-Pitkanen
Vaananen-Numminen

Kipprusoff
Backstrom

Team Sweden

Naslund-Zetterberg-Alfredsson
D.Sedin-H.Sedin-Sundin
Holmstrom-Backstrom-Franzen
Huselius-Pahlsson-Modin

Lidstrom-Ohlund
Kronvall-Edler
Havelid-Tallinder/Johnsson

Lundqvist
Hedberg

Team Slovak

Palffy?-Demitra-Gaborik
Satan-Stumpel-Hossa
Zednik-Handzus-Svatos
Nagy-Hossa-Kopecky/Radivojevic

Chara-Mezsaros
Visnovksy-Sekera
Jurcina-Mezei

Halak
Budaj

Team USA

Parise - Stastny - Cole
Kessel - Gomez/Connolly-Kane
Brown - Kesler - Langenbrunner
Modano-Drury-Backes
Ryan

Rafalski-Suter
Hatcher-Ballard
Orpik-Martin
Komisarek, Corvo

Thomas
Dipetro/Miller

I like team Sweden :)

Didn't Selanne retire from international play?

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Parise - Stastny - Kessel
Brown - Gomez-Kane
Backes - Kesler - Langenbrunner
Callahan-Drury-Ryan
Dubinsky/Pavelski/O'Sullivan

Rafalski-Suter
J. Johnson-Ballard
Orpik-Martin
Komisarek, Corvo

Thomas
Dipetro/Miller

futurekos22*

Palffy is retired from the national team but why exactly would you want to break both the Gaborik-Demitra-Hossa line AND the Palffy-Stümpel combo?

The reason is because gaborik is better suited on the RW, and putting hossa on the 2nd line gives the team better depth on the top 2 scoring lines of that team. I don't know about palffy though...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad