Signing(s): Vance Joseph is the new Broncos head coach

Bonzai12

Nov 2, 2007
Denver CO
I mean, he played QB in college...so I doubt that he's totally lost on the offensive side.

Actually, it's a bit surprising to me that guy that barely ever played defense would become a defensive coach. Strange.

The jets converted him to corner in the pros if I remember right. So he's played on both sides of the ball. Come to think of it - there's not a lot of coaches you can say that for.

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
http://www.dailycamera.com/broncos-...-sexual-assault-allegations-while-at-colorado

Vance Joseph, the Denver Broncos' new head coach, was accused of sexually assaulting two female trainers in 2003 while he was an assistant coach at the University of Colorado — allegations that were investigated by the state task force looking into the recruiting scandal that rocked CU in the early 2000s.

One of the victims of the alleged assault told Boulder police that she and her friend were "not the only women that VJ (Joseph) was getting in trouble for," according to a report summarizing a detective's 2004 interview with the woman.

Joseph was not arrested or charged in the case; one of the women declined to speak to police, and the other told detectives she didn't want to press charges.

Joseph played for the CU Buffs from 1990 to 1995, primarily as a quarterback, and then returned to the school as an assistant coach in 1999 under Gary Barnett after a brief stint as a player in the NFL.

But Joseph's career at CU ended in 2004 under a cloud of suspicion, as he was suspended and then left the team for a position with Bowling Green.

The reason for the suspension was not given at the time.

What the Faulk

You'll know when you go
May 30, 2005
North Carolina
Ignoring the obvious issue that it's still a reprehensible act (if true) whether it happened 15 minutes or 15 years ago, the Colorado statute of limitations is 20 years for sexual assault. That was increased this summer from 10 years, so I'm not sure if it's retroactive to offenses committed between 10 and 20 years ago.

Bonzai12

Nov 2, 2007
Denver CO
Then why not prosecute him if he's guilty?

This just seems like ambulance chasing to me. Since he's the head coach of the Broncos, now it actually matters that he was accused of sexual assault? Why didn't anyone bring up this headline when he was coaching the Texans?

It's obvious someone is trying to create a story here.

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002

This just seems like ambulance chasing to me. Since he's the head coach of the Broncos, now it actually matters that he was accused of sexual assault? Why didn't anyone bring up this headline when he was coaching the Texans?

The school already paid out over $3 million to the women because of what he did. The story has always been there, don't blame reporters for reporting.

What the Faulk

You'll know when you go
May 30, 2005
North Carolina

We don't know if he's guilty or not since it never made its way through the legal system.

It's always mattered, but this happens every time someone with a questionable past hits the forefront of pop culture. Reporters are basically saying "just so you know, this happened." I am sure this has been brought up before.

The story was created by Vance doing what he did (or his accusers for lying about doing what he did). The media is just reporting what allegedly happened. You cannot fault them for that. Of course someone is trying to create a story. It's because it is a story.

Bonzai12

Nov 2, 2007
Denver CO
Ok so it's a journalist trying to drum up old bones. Meh.

How would you feel if you were cleared of some wrong doing and 15 years later you get the job offer of your life and someone digs this up? I just think it's petty. But whatever I guess.....

I read the DP article - one woman said she didn't want to press charges and the other refused to talk to police......?

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002

How would you feel if you were cleared of some wrong doing and 15 years later you get the job offer of your life and someone digs this up? I just think it's petty. But whatever I guess.....

I read the DP article - one woman said she didn't want to press charges and the other refused to talk to police......?

He "left the school" and the school had to pay over $3 million.

If you call that being cleared......losing your job and the employer paying out 7 digits....ok then.

Bonzai12

Nov 2, 2007
Denver CO
Good to know you think sexual assault is petty.

I don't think sexual assault is petty.

I think being cleared of charges after a complete investigation (and trust me - CU went through intense scrutiny when this whole episode came to light under Gary Barnett), and then having these charges dug up by some journalist 15 years later - that's petty.

Someone's pissed off that he got this job. It's not about the assault.

What the Faulk

You'll know when you go
May 30, 2005
North Carolina
He was not "cleared of charges". He was never charged. There's a difference. Neither means it did or did not happen. To bring it up now, regardless of the timeframe later, is absolutely not petty. He's one of 32 men in the world with his job. It's a newsworthy item.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street

People did the same thing to Trump - any time you rise, people will be there to make sure you fall.

Nothing came out of the charges because CU paid the women off and made them sign a NDA.

Alex Jones

BIG BOWL 'A CHILI!!
Jun 8, 2009
Conspiratron 9000
People did the same thing to Trump - any time you rise, people will be there to make sure you fall.

Nothing came out of the charges because CU paid the women off and made them sign a NDA.

Yea Colorado doesn't cover for the football program. You fail to understand the outright hostility much of the university holds against the football program. People at some universities will do anything to help the football program, people at Colorado will do anything to destroy it.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
Yea Colorado doesn't cover for the football program. You fail to understand the outright hostility much of the university holds against the football program. People at some universities will do anything to help the football program, people at Colorado will do anything to destroy it.

The State Government was pretty much at war with CU at the time and happy to exploit any scandal at the institution.

Alex Jones

BIG BOWL 'A CHILI!!
Jun 8, 2009
Conspiratron 9000
The State Government was pretty much at war with CU at the time and happy to exploit any scandal at the institution.
There was (and still is) an absolute war from inside the university as well. A lot of professors and entire departments are basically fight every cent that goes to the AD. There are more than a few whose dream is to basically end the athletics department. Any scandal or scent of wrongdoing at Colorado will get trumpeted to the heavens by the opponents of the team.

Sacha Baron Corbin

Jan 19, 2011
There was (and still is) an absolute war from inside the university as well. A lot of professors and entire departments are basically fight every cent that goes to the AD. There are more than a few whose dream is to basically end the athletics department. Any scandal or scent of wrongdoing at Colorado will get trumpeted to the heavens by the opponents of the team.

Where does hatred of football come from in Colorado? The Katie Hnida/Gary Barnett scandal from years ago?

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle

Oh I know I was working for CU at the time with inveterate gossips. It's more pronounced than at the real football factories, but exists at every program. Witness Murray Sperber's sparring with Indiana demigod Bobby Knight.

The key difference was Bill Owens was out on a crusade on all aspects of Boulder and the Boulder PD actually thinks laws apply to the football team, whereas I'm sure the Lincoln cops have dumped bodies in corn fields to the victims of rood rage.

Alex Jones

BIG BOWL 'A CHILI!!
Jun 8, 2009
Conspiratron 9000
Where does hatred of football come from in Colorado? The Katie Hnida/Gary Barnett scandal from years ago?
I would say the biggest factor is TABOR, which is an extremely strict bill regarding taxation that's part of the Colorado constitution. As a result of this it's more or less impossible to ever increase public funding for things such as universities and schools (colorado has one of the lowest public endowments for a flagship in the country) and departments are practically crawling over each other's backs for every single cent of funding. When that money goes to the AD people get MAD, especially since programs and classes have been getting cut for years because of lack of money. There is an unrelenting hate for anything athletics from a lot of people in the university.

Alex Jones

BIG BOWL 'A CHILI!!
Jun 8, 2009
Conspiratron 9000
Oh I know I was working for CU at the time with inveterate gossips. It's more pronounced than at the real football factories, but exists at every program. Witness Murray Sperber's sparring with Indiana demigod Bobby Knight.

The key difference was Bill Owens was out on a crusade on all aspects of Boulder and the Boulder PD actually thinks laws apply to the football team, whereas I'm sure the Lincoln cops have dumped bodies in corn fields to the victims of rood rage.
I mean, Lawrence Phillips spent three years there, no way in hell he didn't off some people.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad