Signing(s): Vance Joseph is the new Broncos head coach

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
Gonna be realllllly interesting to see how Joseph's aggressive playcalling meshes with the guys Denver has in place.

He made the Dolphins D look competent for stretches with probably one of the worst LB corps in the league and a busted secondary. Imagine what he can do with the likes of Ward, Talib, Harris in the secondary and then monsters like Miller and Wolfe rushing the passer. He won't have an all pro DT in Suh but with that secondary he won't need it lol.

Was hoping he'd stick around in Miami but that's way too good of an offer to turn down. All Denver has to do is go out and get a QB and they'll be right back in the picture.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
shocked shanahan didn't get the job

i think this pretty much means he ends up in LA

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
He'll end up somewhere. Can't see Suh being real enthusiastic about the two gaping that is required in a 3-4 base.

Oct 18, 2011
Surprised they are going with a defensive guy when they need to develop a QB, you figure the new HC could have kept Wade around if he wanted to keep coaching(maybe he doesn't?)

Soliloquy of a Dogge

I love you, Boots
Aug 8, 2012
San Diego, CA
Elway sees something in his leadership ability first and foremost it sounds like. Players and people around the NFL rave about how he can get the best out of and connect with his players. He had a depleted roster in Miami for much of the year because IIRC they had LB, end and secondary issues and some Dolphins fans on the Broncos forums I'm on say that talent wise their defense this year was worse than the previous couple. Maybe PP62 can corroborate or dispute that.

Regardless, I think it'd make sense to keep a guy like Wade as DC. Previous history working together and it'd take some stuff off of his plate.

PanthersPens62

Coach Nerd
Mar 7, 2009
Mike's Wheel Barrell
Gonna be realllllly interesting to see how Joseph's aggressive playcalling meshes with the guys Denver has in place.

He made the Dolphins D look competent for stretches with probably one of the worst LB corps in the league and a busted secondary. Imagine what he can do with the likes of Ward, Talib, Harris in the secondary and then monsters like Miller and Wolfe rushing the passer. He won't have an all pro DT in Suh but with that secondary he won't need it lol.

Was hoping he'd stick around in Miami but that's way too good of an offer to turn down. All Denver has to do is go out and get a QB and they'll be right back in the picture.
Very well said. He will be missed here in Miami.

PanthersPens62

Coach Nerd
Mar 7, 2009
Mike's Wheel Barrell
Elway sees something in his leadership ability first and foremost it sounds like. Players and people around the NFL rave about how he can get the best out of and connect with his players. He had a depleted roster in Miami for much of the year because IIRC they had LB, end and secondary issues and some Dolphins fans on the Broncos forums I'm on say that talent wise their defense this year was worse than the previous couple. Maybe PP62 can corroborate or dispute that.

Regardless, I think it'd make sense to keep a guy like Wade as DC. Previous history working together and it'd take some stuff off of his plate.
I think you nailed it my friend. He completely won over Suh early on, which in and of itself was no small task. Injuries were the main reason the defense faltered down the stretch. Given talent, he will do fine.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Odd to see Denver go back to a HC who specializes in defense especially with young QB to develop and a strong D with veteran DC already in place

Figured Shanahan was going to get job

Bonzai12

Nov 2, 2007
Denver CO
phillips had a one gap

I doubt the Broncos change the scheme too much. Joseph still claims himself to be a 3-4 guy but didn't want to set the Dolphins.

From Joseph last year in his move to Miami -

“I don’t want to be a guy who as a coordinator, I’m a 3-4 guy with 4-3 personnel-driven team,” Joseph said. “I’m not going to say, ‘Well, let’s change it,’ and set us back two or three years. That’s not smart in my opinion. That’s not coordinating. If this team had 3-4 personnel, we’d be a 3-4 defense. I can do both. For me, it’s not a big deal to be a 3-4 or 4-3 defense, it’s just numbers. It would be a shame to come to a place that’s close to being good on defense and then flip it, then you’re three years away again. I didn’t want to do that.”

ShootIt

Nov 8, 2008
Anyone else not really impressed with Joseph in Miami?

Not really sad to see him go. Sure the defensive personnel was bad, and injuries didn't help. But I feel like adjustments were lacking.

I mean the team set a record for most yards given up, and their linebacker/front four was worse last year. And the secondary wasn't that much better, minus a healthy Jones.

PanthersPens62

Coach Nerd
Mar 7, 2009
Mike's Wheel Barrell
Not really sad to see him go. Sure the defensive personnel was bad, and injuries didn't help. But I feel like adjustments were lacking.

I mean the team set a record for most yards given up, and their linebacker/front four was worse last year. And the secondary wasn't that much better, minus a healthy Jones.
Not completely true. Players raved about his ability to make halftime adjustments and it showed a lot during the win streak. Again, they were down to bare bones on D in the last month of the season.

ShootIt

Nov 8, 2008
Not completely true. Players raved about his ability to make halftime adjustments and it showed a lot during the win streak. Again, they were down to bare bones on D in the last month of the season.

Perhaps I'm just thinking towards the end of the year, when even if he made adjustments, it didn't matter due to the injuries. :( :laugh:

But games like the 49ers, where Kaep almost led a comeback, and the Dolphins had a decent lead in the 4th.

Then the next game they get blown out by the Ravens... No answer for Pitta, but TBH their back 7 was on spare parts.

Best of luck to him in Denver. Definitely isn't stepping into a situation where he needs to do much work to the defense.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
Vance has been on Elway's radar for a while. It's anything but a blind leap and if Wade does go the rest of the defensive staff is expected to stay.

McCoy returning would also auger well.

Alex Jones

BIG BOWL 'A CHILI!!
Jun 8, 2009
Conspiratron 9000
Odd to see Denver go back to a HC who specializes in defense especially with young QB to develop and a strong D with veteran DC already in place

Figured Shanahan was going to get job
I mean, he played QB in college...so I doubt that he's totally lost on the offensive side.

Actually, it's a bit surprising to me that guy that barely ever played defense would become a defensive coach. Strange.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad