Van vs Tor - Which core would you rather have?

Which core is better now and going forward?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
I'd remove McCabe and put Liljegren, he was playing extremely solid (maybe 2nd best D on our team although that doesn't mean much currently) and is relatively young.

Leafs have much better forwards
Canucks have the better D
Canucks have the better G

This poll is going to be heavily skewed in Vancouver's favor though based on their hot start and Toronto looking like trash (even though the players listed for the most part have been good).

Also, wasn't Boeser a cap dump last year and didn't they want to get rid of Miller? Funny what a hot start will do.

I think Toronto's forward group is that much better, but I can see it going either way in voting.

Remove Boeser and Kuzmenko and I still take the Canucks core over Toronto's

And when they start shooting at a regular % and their goaltending drops? They are playing some very unsustainable hockey, but it's fun for now I guess.

Three On Zero

Deranged Oreo Dolphin Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
I'd remove McCabe and put Liljegren, he was playing extremely solid (maybe 2nd best D on our team although that doesn't mean much currently) and is relatively young.

Leafs have much better forwards
Canucks have the better D
Canucks have the better G

This poll is going to be heavily skewed in Vancouver's favor though based on their hot start and Toronto looking like trash (even though the players listed for the most part have been good).

Also, wasn't Boeser a cap dump last year and didn't they want to get rid of Miller? Funny what a hot start will do.

And when they start shooting at a regular % and their goaltending drops? They are playing some very unsustainable hockey, but it's fun for now I guess.
Demko is still the best goalie of the bunch
Hughes is still the best defenceman of the bunch
Pettersson will likely produce similarly to Matthews while costing less

Marner, Tavares and Nylander cripple any cap flexibility to improve in any other positions. Toronto's "core" is too forward heavy which leaves scraps for the 2 most important positions in defence and goaltending.

Spending what could be $40 million+ on 4 forwards is not a recipe for success

Elite level F/D/G > Elite level F x3 (I dont consider Tavares elite anymore)

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
Demko is still the best goalie of the bunch
Hughes is still the best defenceman of the bunch
Pettersson will likely produce similarly to Matthews while costing less

Marner, Tavares and Nylander cripple any cap flexibility to improve in any other positions. Toronto's "core" is too forward heavy which leaves scraps for the 2 most important positions in defence and goaltending.

Spending what could be $40 million+ on 4 forwards is not a recipe for success

Elite level F/D/G > Elite level F x3 (I dont consider Tavares elite anymore)

Demko had a .901 last year, is he elite because of 9 games?

Tavares was a PPG C last year... maybe not elite, but Boeser was a dump last year... the gap in forwards is huge.

I also don't think the gap between Hughes and Rielly is as massive as you likely think.

Three On Zero

Deranged Oreo Dolphin Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012

Tavares was a PPG C last year... maybe not elite, but Boeser was a dump last year... the gap in forwards is huge.

I also don't think the gap between Hughes and Rielly is as massive as you likely think.

Demko has been elite and considered elite for a few seasons now
The gap between Hughes and Rielly has been big for awhile

Toronto does have a better forward group, but that forward group also handcuffs them into not being able to do anything else so they need to dumpster dive for goalies/defence.

Cap considerations need to be included when picking which core you would want

Bankerguy

Apr 28, 2013
Before east coast fans crap on Demko, he's generally considered a top tier goalie by people who actually know hockey. I think a TSN anlayst had him winning a Vezina 3 years running. He was just on a crap vancouver team so it hurt his stats. He's top 6 or 7 in the league now and i'd bet my left nut that if you polled GM's around the league, he'd be right there.

geebster

Sponsor
Oct 26, 2019
You think... a guy thats averaged 0.885 points per game is the same as a guy that averages 0.58? A defenseman averaging over 72 points per 82 and still improving every year is the same as a guy in his 11th year who averages 47 points and had his best career season half a decade ago?

Theres a HUGE gap on offense. Let alone the fact that Hughes is defensively great too theres no world they are comparable. Hughes would need 162 points over 436 games to catch Rielly... If Rielly put up 215 points this year and Hughes didnt record a single point for the rest of it, Hughes would still have better career numbers.

This would be like me saying the gap between Matthews and Boeser isnt as big as Leafs fans think (an equally absurd thing to say).

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver

Demko started the season playing poorly after having offseason surgery, then got hurt and when he returned, played like his usual self down the stretch with a .917 in his final 17 games. The year before he was 7th in Vezina voting, with a .915 despite playing behind an awful defense. He actually had the best 5v5 SV% in the league that season, but the Canucks were so terrible in front of him on the PK that it brought his numbers down. He’s been an elite goaltender, giving the team a chance to win almost every night since he became the full time starter in 21-22.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

SillyRabbit

Trix Are For Kids
Jan 3, 2006
Before east coast fans crap on Demko, he's generally considered a top tier goalie by people who actually know hockey. I think a TSN anlayst had him winning a Vezina 3 years running. He was just on a crap vancouver team so it hurt his stats. He's top 6 or 7 in the league now and i'd bet my left nut that if you polled GM's around the league, he'd be right there.
This very forum voted him top 8 before the season started.

I feel like most fans rate Demko as a top goaltender.

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
Do i have to take John Tavares if i'd pick the Leafs?

It's close. Leafs forwards are much better but if i pick the Canucks i don't get the headache of trying to find an elite #1D and top starting goalie. So propably them. Especially if Tavares is included.

Janvonpobben

Sep 15, 2021
Demko has been elite and considered elite for a few seasons now
The gap between Hughes and Rielly has been big for awhile

Toronto does have a better forward group, but that forward group also handcuffs them into not being able to do anything else so they need to dumpster dive for goalies/defence.

Cap considerations need to be included when picking which core you would want
You are not elite on 0.90

• Haha
Reactions: Regal

Aashir Mallik

Apr 19, 2019
Forwards are around the same, maybe slight edge to Toronto

Canucks got that cornerstone 1D

They also have the workhorse top starter.

people really shit on JT miller for producing like Tavares or better, for 3 million dollars less, he isn’t and wasn’t a cap dump lol

This is probably Vancouver

Reactions: Sasha Orlov
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad