Confirmed with Link: [VAN/VGK] Canucks acquire D Nate Schmidt for a 3rd in 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.

VancouverJagger

Not trying to fit in
Feb 26, 2017
Vancouver - Coal Harbour
WOW - Christmas came today. Apparently they've been working on this deal all weekend and when it was first agreed to there was a larger package going back - however with the Pietrangelo deal Vegas obviously got desperate and Jimbo acted accordingly.

Not sure if I'm more surprised at how good of a trade this is for us or more at the fact Benning pulled off something like this.

What a massive steal. Any other year and this is first plus picks +/or prospects. Solid work here that changes our outlook dramatically moving forward.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
yep and they still don’t have a third pairing. Benn is awful. I highly doubt they can have two youngsters and think they will be successful. This is a good deal but the team has still taken a significant step back from where it ended the year...as things stand.

Out: Tanev, Markstrom, Stecher and Toffoli.
In: Holtby, Schmidt.

Yeah, it's still a step back, but Holtby + Schmidt cover Tanev + Markstrom in a net impact sense. Schmidt is that much better than Tanev.

If they get the 3rd pairing RHD resolved, then Toffoli would be the swing asset.

This trade salvaged the offseason though. I'm stunned. I thought for sure that when Toffoli went to MTL, Benning was in trouble.

Last edited:

beachcomber

Apr 6, 2015
Or the OEL trade.

Like, if they'd intentionally sat back and this fell into their laps you could say it was the result of a good plan, but that clearly wasn't the case.

This might be the most bizarre series of events I've ever seen as a Canuck fan.

I get your hatred but do you know they haven't been working this one as a fall back plan?

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
I'll qualify this further: trades for NHL players with a proven track record (Schmidt, Miller, Pearson, Toffoli). It's when he goes for the players that put up good AHL numbers but haven't proven themselves as NHL players that's the problem (Pouliot, Vey, Clendening, Pedan, Baertschi, etc.).

*Sbisa
**Sutter
***Gudbranson

Reactions: LickTheEnvelope

Britton

Nov 28, 2008
I mean this is an insane deal for us, but I just can't fathom how Vegas accepted this. Like how is it possible that this was the best offer they got. I legit feel like we are being trolled here. Like I'm not sure giving Petro 7 years at 8.5 is that much of an upgrade on Schmidt, at least not so big of one that you can just give Schmidt away like this. It's mind boggling.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
The dominoes were going to fall in Vegas , or Tampa at some point..luckily Benning was ready

He really wasn't though. He was trying to overpay for a terrible fit (as you yourself admitted) in Tyson Barrie like, yesterday. He wasn't shrewdly sitting back and waiting for an opening, he was flailing all over the place and then had this fall in his lap.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Flames and Oiler fans right now..
200-1.gif

Dissonance Jr

Oct 6, 2017
I still can't process this. Quite a few Eastern teams seemed like they had the cap space to take on Schmidt, and presumably Vegas would've preferred to ship him far away... yet no one was interested? Do all those GMs still think of Schmidt as the depth defender Washington let go for nothing in 2017?

Britton

Nov 28, 2008
I get your hatred but do you know they haven't been working this one as a fall back plan?

Because getting a top pair d-man for a third round pick should never be a back up plan. Like that's beyond stupid. Schmidt is a superior player to OEL, he should never have been the backup plan he should have been the main target.

beachcomber

Apr 6, 2015
He really wasn't though. He was trying to overpay for a terrible fit (as you yourself admitted) in Tyson Barrie like, yesterday. He wasn't shrewdly sitting back and waiting for an opening, he was flailing all over the place and then had this fall in his lap.

Who said Barrie was offered 6 mil?

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC

It seems unlikely. There wasn't a whiff of this until immediately before it happened and everything else they've done this offseason has been a completely open book.

I doubt they're offering $6 million for Barrie if they knew there was a good chance this was coming down the pipeline, and it was pretty obvious for a couple days that Pietrangelo was going to Vegas.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad