Proposal: [Van] - [Tor]

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
It's funny in the many past threads. Van fans have been asking for kappy and leafs fans have said no with tanev as the main piece. I think that should tell you something.

Tells me you like sweeping generalizations. A few of us were good with Kap/Brown+1rst for Tanev. Only the guys worried about his injury history were reluctant to deal for him.

RomanianLeafs

Apr 14, 2009
Arad
i would do Leipsic, there is no room for him..0 chances u get Kapanen..also while i like Gudbranson i doubt our management would trade for a guy who threatened Martin with dead after that game..

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
i would do Leipsic, there is no room for him..0 chances u get Kapanen..also while i like Gudbranson i doubt our management would trade for a guy who threatened Martin with dead after that game..

I don't think the threat will really bother them.

I only wonder if Babcock would want him or see him as a fit in our system.

It does free up us to use Carrick as a trade chip with other assets for a top end defenseman (if one comes available), and I like having some meat on our back end.

Rielly-?
Gardiner-Zaitsev
Dermott-Gudbranson
1 of Marincin/Marchenko

I actually like the Leipsic for Gudbranson base, and I can actually see Leipsic being a good player for Vancouver.

Nalyd Psycho

Feb 27, 2002
No Bandwagon
Visit site
Vancouver needs to hold onto Gudbranson and see if they can make him work. They still need someone with his skill set. His value has already bottomed out. Another bad season won't do much harm to his value. Better to see if last year was an aberration. And if we have to suffer through bad defense, oh well, another top 5 pick...

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Vancouver needs to hold onto Gudbranson and see if they can make him work. They still need someone with his skill set. His value has already bottomed out. Another bad season won't do much harm to his value. Better to see if last year was an aberration.

Seems like Tanev and Stecher are the top 2 RD, and Gudbranson may be too costly to put at the RD 3 slotting...although may be the case for Toronto too I suppose.

firstemperor

May 25, 2011
Tells me you like sweeping generalizations. A few of us were good with Kap/Brown+1rst for Tanev. Only the guys worried about his injury history were reluctant to deal for him.

If he didn't have red flags with durability, injuries, and the real risk of a decline soon given these, maybe this opinion wouldn't represent the extreme minority of leaf fans. Tanev plays a very demanding style as is to keep up his efficiency defensively.

In the meantime, I don't have a problem with Canuck fans asking for Drouin/Pujlu or whatever but to me, there's zero chance of that happening. Some seem content with keeping him, which is fine as well.

Regardless, supposedly, Benning is not looking to deal him or actively making calls to field his value. When does his NTC kick in?

gianni

Apr 8, 2014
Pass. Canucks already have Jonathan Dahlen & Nikolay Goldobin whom rank similarly to Kapanen. Also, I think this is a make or break year for Erik Gudbranson; he still has untapped potential.

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
Pass. Canucks already have Jonathan Dahlen & Nikolay Goldobin whom rank similarly to Kapanen. Also, I think this is a make or break year for Erik Gudbranson; he still has untapped potential.

Gudbranson is never going to reach anywhere near his expectations based on his draft position. I doubt he'd return Kapanen.

With his contract the best one could hope for is mid pick and cap coming back on a shorter term deal.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
Erik Gudbranson

Kasperi Kapanen

I would take a flyer on Guds (2nd or 3rd ) in the hopes Babs can get him to his potential. That said, not a chance i would give a second of thought to dealing Kap for him. Now, if Tanev's name comes up....that's different.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Gudbranson is never going to reach anywhere near his expectations based on his draft position. I doubt he'd return Kapanen.

With his contract the best one could hope for is mid pick and cap coming back on a shorter term deal.

Shorter term than RFA?

I agree though that Gudbranson even at his QO isn't worth it.

I'd do Gudbranson for Leipsic in a heartbeat. Gudbranson is absolute trash.

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
For all the crap he gets on our boards, and abroad, we were a much better team with Gudbranson in the line up.

I can't imagine we'd get Kapanen for him, maybe an equivalent prospect from a team starved for leadership and physical right side D, ie optimal circumstances, but Canucks D to Toronto has been beaten to death.

Further more, we aren't in a position of strength there any more. Yes, Tryamkin was that big a blow to our depth. Trading Gudbranson for Leipsic doesn't help us long term, as we have a number of winger prospects that offer what he does. Unless we're hoping for a Alzner type signing in free agency, or maybe a Seabrook cap dump to us (which constantly gets shouted down when I say we should explore that option) we are creating a hole to fill a surplus.

Plus, I mean it's like a 2 year age difference. It's not like we're dropping a 35 year old for a prospect here.

TBC

Dec 22, 2016

I would be hesitant but Kap + 1st for Tanev is something I would maybe do. Kap + 2nd 100%. I wouldn't do Brown in a deal for Tanev though.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
I would be hesitant but Kap + 1st for Tanev is something I would maybe do. Kap + 2nd 100%. I wouldn't do Brown in a deal for Tanev though.

I think i am the opposite, if Van prefered Brown over Kap for Tanev, i do it.

TBC

Dec 22, 2016
I think i am the opposite, if Van prefered Brown over Kap for Tanev, i do it.

It's probably just me being bias tbh. I've been a huge fan of Brown since before we drafted him and he's been an underdog the entire time so it's been really neat to watch him progress. Reason I keep Brown over Kap is because Browns two-way game is great and he plays with high energy. He is the type of guy you want on your team. He is literally the perfect 3rd liner and if injuries happen he is very capable of moving up the line-up in a more offensive role.

Gavy

Jan 30, 2012
Ottawa
It's probably just me being bias tbh. I've been a huge fan of Brown since before we drafted him and he's been an underdog the entire time so it's been really neat to watch him progress. Reason I keep Brown over Kap is because Browns two-way game is great and he plays with high energy. He is the type of guy you want on your team. He is literally the perfect 3rd liner and if injuries happen he is very capable of moving up the line-up in a more offensive role.

Kapanen is almost as good if not as good as Brown defensively and is just as high energy.
Kappy has the higher offensive ceiling though and is 3 years younger

Albus Dumbledore

Master of Death
Mar 28, 2015

Aka me. I wasn't wrong, most leafs fan wouldn't deal kappy for tanev.

WilliamNylander

Papi's home
Jul 26, 2012
Just looking at it from a neutral standpoint here...

Gudbranson has no chance at all to crack the Leafs top 7. If they bring back one of Hunlak, he probably is the #8 or 9 on the depth chart. Honestly depending on how we value Dermott and the two new Swedes, he could be outside the top 10 a year from now. So a deal involving him makes zero sense.

Moving on to alternatives, if the Canucks want Kapanen it's going to take a big chunk of assets. The young guns aka Horvat/Boeser/Juolevi all presumably are untouchable. That leaves only two assets with positive trade value (Tanev and the first round pick).

I think Tanev for Kappy+ something small (Leipsic?) makes sense. The first round pick for Kappy straight up also makes sense. Two value for value trades.

TBC

Dec 22, 2016
Kapanen is almost as good if not as good as Brown defensively and is just as high energy.
Kappy has the higher offensive ceiling though and is 3 years younger

I disagree with him being as good defensively.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad