Confirmed with Link: [VAN/TOR] Canucks acquire D Travis Dermott for 3rd in 2022 (WPG)

Dab

Apr 17, 2017
Paid a 3rd to help Toronto out of cap problems… maybe a little too clever by half on this trade.

Reactions: VanillaCoke

Dab

Apr 17, 2017
Dermott is 25, under team control for multiple more seasons, and we aren't doing a total rebuild.

Getting guys who fit this timeframe makes total sense. The pro scouting just has to be better than the abomination under Jim Benning.
Paying a 3rd to a cap strapped team who needs instant cap room for a marginal NHL’r is probably not the best move. At least not worth celebrating. Toronto liked it I’m sure!

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
What do you mean by type? I see Dermott as an upgrade to skating and moving the puck.

And I do believe this moves the needle, albeit not a lot. Something to take in to consideration is the swap of Hamonic for Dermott allows 1.5M more of flexibility. If management uses their CAP wisely, you could add a good bottom 6 fwd or another depth defenseman with that money. It's a considerable upgrade over just Hamonic.
I just mean, Dermott isn't the sort of big, physical "stabilizing presence" sort of defensive D this team really needs on the RH side to complement more offensive guys like Hughes and OEL.

I don't really know what "type" of defenceman Dermott is though tbh. He's one of those completely niche-less, role-less, "filler" type guys. Not really good at anything in particular. Not catastrophically bad at anything in particular either. Not even really a "jack of all trades" either. Just sort of a filler guy. Basically the reason he slipped so far down the Leafs depth chart. Not that he's terrible...just that he doesn't really have anything to hang his hat on, where the coach can look at him and go, "yes, that is what i need in my lineup right now".

The cap flexibility is really the the most exciting aspect of this deal. Which i think is saying something. You're basically relying on a different player contributing something, to make this any kind of team "upgrade". That's what i mean by, not moving the needle. Dermott himself doesn't do that. Whoever they sign (or can afford to keep) with this cap swap, is what might move the needle...or not. Not Dermott specifically.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
watching him play and then looking at his stats, I realised Dermott isn’t quite as small as I thought. He’s 6ft and 200+ pounds. He’s not a very physical defender and doesn’t seem to chase hits, but he has the bulk to be effective in the corners and in front of the net. Not sure if he’s figured out how to maximise his effectiveness in these areas yet, but he doesn’t face the same challenges that Stetcher and Hughes have had to. Those two are effective mostly because of their stick work and constantly moving their feet, both things I’ll be watching Dermott closely for.

Ehhh...that listing sounds..."generous" for Dermott. Whether he actually tips the scales at that or not, is kind of a moot point anyway. He certainly plays like a small defender. More so than Stecher by a good margin. Even if he is technically a little bit "bigger". That's what really matters more in the end anyway.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Easily his best game to date against Dallas.....the one thing you can't teach is skating ability and mobility, which Dermott has in spades. Still early, but looking like a nice pickup by Allvin and the Canucks.

He reminds me a bit of a Garland-type pickup, who's still only 25, the same age as Dermott. As a bonus, Dermott can apparently play either side. So that makes him potentially even more useful.

Reactions: mossey3535

RutherPlan

Jan 2, 2022
Ehhh...that listing sounds..."generous" for Dermott. Whether he actually tips the scales at that or not, is kind of a moot point anyway. He certainly plays like a small defender. More so than Stecher by a good margin. Even if he is technically a little bit "bigger". That's what really matters more in the end anyway.

Actually his height and weight at the NHL Combine, which is official as it gets, was 5 feet 11.25 inches and 197 lbs.

Those stats are when he was 18 years old, and its reasonable to expect he has grown in 6 years. He's a solidly built player with great mobility.

Dab

Apr 17, 2017
Actually his height and weight at the NHL Combine, which is official as it gets, was 5 feet 11.25 inches and 197 lbs.

Those stats are when he was 18 years old, and its reasonable to expect he has grown in 6 years. He's a solidly built player with great mobility.

Maybe it is on our defence, but 5’11.25” is not big for a defencemam

JanBulisPiggyBack

Dec 31, 2011
Dermott has looked good, he is probably going to be effective as long as we keep him bottom pairing. I think Vancouver needs to find these cheap options that are a step above the Hunts, Burroughs and Juulsens.

Hamonic minus his little point streak was pretty useless

Reactions: Raistlin and dwarf

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Really awkward to think about given what went down. Part of me thinks if what he's been accused of is true then that is a character defect so deep as to be unfixable and we wouldn't want any piece of that, but another part is that if the team had a different culture and leadership character then maybe JV would have evolved into something...else. We'll never know I guess.

If he was as good as Evander Kane and signed to a good contract and there's no issues in the locker room then ya I can see the team keeping him despite the charges. Innocent until proven guilty.

But I don't think there's anything related to one's work environment that can change how one is in their private life. Kobe Bryant all but admitted to raping a 19 year old when Kobe was around JV's age and that was shortly after being a part of a team that won 3 straight championships. Different sport though.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
If he was as good as Evander Kane and signed to a good contract and there's no issues in the locker room then ya I can see the team keeping him despite the charges. Innocent until proven guilty.

But I don't think there's anything related to one's work environment that can change how one is in their private life. Kobe Bryant all but admitted to raping a 19 year old when Kobe was around JV's age and that was shortly after being a part of a team that won 3 straight championships. Different sport though.

There was even a push to make him the player on the NBA logo. It's like the whole #metoo movement never reached certain groups.

Reactions: F A N

Raistlin

Aug 25, 2006
the hidden value with him is that he projects to be able to handle spot top 4 duties. now the coaches in toronto was not able to coax out his potential, its not to say he cannot be the next Schultz with Boudreau. That potnetial is worth a 3 rounder at 1.5 million.

this is just the beginning of the experiment, looking forward to see what our new pro scouting staff and Clancey will deliver for Vancouver.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
i want to wait to see what we have. right now he has the desire to impress the new coach and he is working off his contender depth role make no mistakes conditioning. lots of dmen in his shoes can be very impressive for about 20 games.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
You can see that Dermott has a lot of mobility and has been surprisingly effective with Hunt as a bottom-pairing d-man.

But on the flip side, you also see signs of the turnovers and 'iffy' decisions with the puck that saw him drop down the depth chart in TO.

Still, Dermott is only 25, which is still relatively young for an NHL-man. With more ice time and more responsibility in Vancouver, there's a chance he could move up the depth chart. And his cap-hit is half of that of Hamonic, so Canucks already come out ahead.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad