Confirmed Signing with Link: [VAN] Thatcher Demko signs extension with the Canucks (5 years, $5M AAV)

izzy

go
Apr 29, 2012
Nova Scotia
seems about right, same as binnington the term can be a bit scary. I’d max 4 on goalies, but Demko is still young so should be fine

ToDavid

Dec 13, 2018
Great deal. Hellebuyck contract 2.0. Congratulations Canucks fans.

Finally something to cheer about lol

Hellebuyck signed that contract after more than double the amount of career starts, a Vezina runner up season, and a playoff run to the conference finals.

Demko is certainly playing well this year but this strikes me as unnecessarily risky. Why not wait out at least the rest of the season?

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
Got the same deal Andersen got in 2016. Looks like he will be around that level to better (top 10ish goalie like Andersen was from 2017 to 2019).

Good deal for the Canucks.

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
Vancouver screwed up free agency soooo bad this past offseason

but deciding to go with the kid Demko that they developed and passing on Markstrom was their smartest decision by far.

we’ll see if this works out but he has been a top 5 goalie in the league this year and better than Markstrom pretty easily.

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
That's a steal of a deal for the Canucks. Hopefully for the Canucks sake they're going to even out the contracts so they have a better chance of getting somewhere within their future.

Reactions: Grantham

nturn06

Nov 9, 2017
Wow, that seems great for the Canucks. I'm surprised he signed for that long at that price given he's probably going to be worth closer to $7+ million soon enough.

The kid shows some potential, but he can easily flop, in which case the deal is awesome for him.

He has been amazing when hot (but mediocre goalies ahve looked amazing at times in the past) but still lacking consistency.

If I am not mistaken, he let 4+ goals in 10 out of 25 starts this season, he was pretty solid in the other 15 games.

TkachukNorris79

Jan 27, 2018
Would you rather sign a 31 year old goalie to a 6x6M deal, or a 25 year old goalie to a 5x5M deal?

Markstrom is a good goalie but I think they made the right call. Looks like a pretty good deal, and signed through their playoff window. Clearly he's going to be their guy, hopefully they can retool a bit this summer and get back to where they can be, they were such an exciting team last summer.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad