Confirmed with Link: [VAN/TB] Jason Garrison, 7th in 2015, Jeff Costello for TB's 2nd (50th OA)

Drop the Sopel

May 4, 2007
calgary
If somehow Gagner is worth a 6th round pick in 2015 how does the 2015 3rd rounder we traded to Anaheim for their 2014 3rd round so we could trade for Dorsett looking? :laugh:
Oh man

You tell me why Nate Thompson and Brandon Bollig have gone for more than Sam Gagner And why they returned comparable value as Derek Dorsett.

Please explain that away.

Barney Gumble

Jan 2, 2007
I don't remember hearing you say Gillis got fleeced in the Luongo deal. And that he should have been able to get back significantly more value. Did you make that argument?
I don't recall hearing Garrison complaining about asking to be traded pretty much publically (which obviously would have an effect on his value). Neither is his contract subject to cap recapture penalties.

arsmaster*

And yet the Canadiens are trying to trade Josh Gorges, and were the only other team Garrison was willing to waive to.

You live in a world where you get to offer Garrison to the highest bidder. Jim Benning doesn't get to live out that same fantasy - he needs to work with the roster where every player making over $1.5mil has a NTC attached to it.

I don't remember hearing you say Gillis got fleeced in the Luongo deal. And that he should have been able to get back significantly more value. Did you make that argument?
I don't recall. I was pretty annoyed with the whole goalie debacle.

Would be interesting to have the true details of how the garrison trade went down.

We'll be arguing the opposite ends of the spectrum as usual.

Tiranis

Jun 10, 2009
Toronto, ON
It should. It's not. He didn't

edit: hold on, let me look for the right botchford tweets. The search results changed on me, wtf

Somehow this chronic injury only exhibited its effects under Tortorella. Prior to that he posted some of the best GA/60 results in the whole league for 3 straight seasons while going up against top opposition.

Jimson Hogarth*

Nov 21, 2013
You tell me why Nate Thompson and Brandon Bollig have gone for more than Sam Gagner And why they returned comparable value as Derek Dorsett.

Bollig at 1.25 million was too expensive for cash strapped hawks who have similar players in the pipeline.

No matter how you slice it, bad, stuff.

BobbyJazzLegs

Sorry 4 Acting Werd
Oct 15, 2013
:laugh: No he's not!

He's the one who coined the sarcastic title of 'Lord Linden.' Just recently he poo-poo'd the Virtanen and McCann selections. Thought the Canucks should have gone Nylander or Ehler.

This is one of those "the report is inconvenient to my argument so I'm going to attack the source of it" things.

edit: I should add that many of the 'Garrison's groin' comments pre-date Lindenning. Here's one from March.

Benning and Linden probably hating Bothcford about now. He's let some solid stuff out lately.

arsmaster*

I will, but its very hard to to ignore all the evidence of Garrisons poor value as its laid out bare from numerous angles.

Numerous angles? They forced him out of town while not even working to get value.

They gave him away for a 2nd round pick.

Evidence. TBay values him enough to reshuffle their forward corps.

You're the guy who one page ago said Yzermam didn't even want Garrison. Do you realize how stupid that sounds?

If he didn't want him. He didn't have to trade for him.

arsmaster*

Sam Gagner retuned Purcell.

Tampa only got a 6th because they paid Phx to take Crombeen's deal as well.

Drop the Sopel

May 4, 2007
calgary
Bollig at 1.25 million was too expensive for cash strapped hawks who have similar players in the pipeline.

No matter how you slice it, bad, stuff.

Dorsett at $1.6mil was too expensive for cash strapped Rangers who have similar players in the pipeline.

There's something you're not seeing here. The new marketplace, where big money is tough to move for anything of value - especially if it's a youth based return.

Still can't believe how long it's taking fans to see the shift in the marketplace. Thought it would have sunk in at the deadline - it sure did for me.

arsmaster*

So botchford is privy to medical reports?

Lol. Twitter. It's gotta be true.

BobbyJazzLegs

Sorry 4 Acting Werd
Oct 15, 2013
Numerous angles? They forced him out of town while not even working to get value.

They gave him away for a 2nd round pick.

Evidence. TBay values him enough to reshuffle their forward corps.

You're the guy who one page ago said Yzermam didn't even want Garrison. Do you realize how stupid that sounds?

If he didn't want him. He didn't have to trade for him.

They had a deal with the Blues but he wouldn't go! How is that not working to get value?

Yes I said Yzerman didn't want him. I meant that he wasnt chasing him. More along the lines of accepting him. I also obviously argued that Yzerman saw some value, just not much.

Drop the Sopel

May 4, 2007
calgary
Sam Gagner retuned Purcell.

Because the Oilers didn't want to move him to Phoenix for a 6th rd pick - So Mark Spector says. Sounds like there was no market for Gagner - as Purcell is deemed to have negative value in his own right.

Would people feel better if we got back Purcell and a 2nd for Garrison? Because I would be willing to bet Benning could have taken that if he wanted...

Wisp

Nov 14, 2010
Somehow this chronic injury only exhibited its effects under Tortorella. Prior to that he posted some of the best GA/60 results in the whole league for 3 straight seasons while going up against top opposition.
This has been popping up before Tortorella. Here's a report from October 2012:

Lets not forget his first season here, where he had trouble getting his skating going to start the season. He's a big guy who can't really afford to lose a step.

Caman, you guys are being super disingenuous pretending this is fictional. Especially you arsmaster - you're kind of being an arse.

Tiranis

Jun 10, 2009
Toronto, ON
This has been popping up before Tortorella. Here's a report from October 2012:

Lets not forget his first season here, where he had trouble getting his skating going to start the season. He's a big guy who can't really afford to lose a step.

And yet, he still managed to post the best results on the Canucks blue line between his Corsi QoC, Corsi On and GA/60. 3 straight seasons where the only guys to outperform him (and even then, only once each) were Chara, Seidenberg, McDonagh and Georges.

It's not a matter of whether he has groin issues, it's whether those issues have affected him. Didn't seem so prior to this season

Wisp

Nov 14, 2010
And yet, he still managed to post the best results on the Canucks blue line between his Corsi QoC, Corsi On and GA/60.
Sure.

That's why there's just as good reason to gamble on his contract as there is to cut your losses on it.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Dorsett at $1.6mil was too expensive for cash strapped Rangers who have similar players in the pipeline.

There's something you're not seeing here. The new marketplace, where big money is tough to move for anything of value - especially if it's a youth based return.

Still can't believe how long it's taking fans to see the shift in the marketplace. Thought it would have sunk in at the deadline - it sure did for me.

Yeah. Tonight's deals really just drive this point home. Moving big salaries is hard, unless you're talking about superstar players.

In light of the way other deals have gone, the fact Benning managed to move money out from out cluster**** of a back end contract wise, without taking a big chunk of salary back, is a win.

If Benning can find a way to get someone like Ehrhoff signed to replace Garrison...i'll be incredibly impressed. A Garrison for Ehrhoff swap is something that would be awfully hard to find fault with. Really does come down to what Benning can do with the cap space this move opened up, but if he uses it well...totally worth it, in spite of the lackluster return from Tampa...for an asset we picked up "for free" in the first place.

arsmaster*

Because the Oilers didn't want to move him to Phoenix for a 6th rd pick - So Mark Spector says. Sounds like there was no market for Gagner - as Purcell is deemed to have negative value in his own right.

Would people feel better if we got back Purcell and a 2nd for Garrison? Because I would be willing to bet Benning could have taken that if he wanted...

I would have. Yes.

2 assets is better than one. He can play.

Had 5 less points than your boy bonino.

Missed 3 games in the last 4 seasons.

Of they're looking to challenge for a playoff spot they could certainly do worse.

Probably even get a pick for him at the deadline.

BobbyJazzLegs

Sorry 4 Acting Werd
Oct 15, 2013
I would have. Yes.

2 assets is better than one. He can play.

Had 5 less points than your boy bonino.

Missed 3 games in the last 4 seasons.

Of they're looking to challenge for a playoff spot they could certainly do worse.

Probably even get a pick for him at the deadline.

I just hope you're not one of the guys who worries about getting smaller ;)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad