Confirmed with Link: [VAN/PIT] Pedan and 2018 4th round pick for Derrick Pouliot

Status
Not open for further replies.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
Where do Sutter, Dahlen, and Markstrom come from? Markstrom especially since he was a Gillis acquisition.

Dahlen I was fine with. He was a recent draft pick so it's not like we acquired a prospect who was on the verge of busting. And Sutter? Benning grossly overpaid for him. Not sure how he's brought into this discussion though. Typical of a Benning supporter though. Muddy the waters with non-sequiturs.

you need to ketchup on other posts before spouting off.

typical of a benning hater though.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
you need to ketchup on other posts before spouting off.

typical of a benning hater though.

I hate Benning because of what he's done to this team. If you enjoy a crappy hockey team though that's your prerogative. I just find fault in someone who tried to make the playoffs two years in a row who failed as badly as he has. I hold people accountable. You don't. Difference in values I suppose.

PecaFan

Nov 16, 2002
Ottawa (Go 'Nucks)
Try and imagine if the shoe was on the other foot, and Benning ends up dealing Oli Juolevi for a minor-league d-man and a fourth rounder...the bloodhounds would be baying at the moon. But that's the NHL draft for you.....sometimes sh#@#@t happens, even in the top-10 of the first round.

Huh? If in four years from now Juolevi still hasn't made the Canucks, and they managed to trade him away and get a depth dman and a draft pick, you think Canucks fans would be upset at that?

They'd be happier than hell to get something out of a wasted draft pick.

Reactions: Hodgy and MS

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
I hate Benning because of what he's done to this team. If you enjoy a crappy hockey team though that's your prerogative. I just find fault in someone who tried to make the playoffs two years in a row who failed as badly as he has. I hold people accountable. You don't. Difference in values I suppose.

if only i had your moral compass to guide me to hate the general manager of a sports team. then i'd have values.

Reactions: Nomobo

Nomobo

Feb 20, 2015
Victoria

Have some perspective man, 15 teams miss the playoffs every year. When we start missing playoffs for years on end then what are you going to do? Jump? Have a drink season hasn't even started yet.

rune74

Oct 10, 2008
Have some perspective man, 15 teams miss the playoffs every year. When we start missing playoffs for years on end then what are you going to do? Jump? Have a drink season hasn't even started yet.

He really wasn't any different when we were winning.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC

Umm what? It's not like we just barely missed the playoffs...it wasn't even close. We've had one of the worst teams in hockey the past two years. Or did you miss that?

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
He really wasn't any different when we were winning.

You mean when I was screaming for Gillis to address our offensive problems, when people here said all we needed was a defensive 3C? Yeah...well we got that 3C...how'd that turn out? #ItoldYaSo

rune74

Oct 10, 2008
You mean when I was screaming for Gillis to address our offensive problems, when people here said all we needed was a defensive 3C? Yeah...well we got that 3C...how'd that turn out? #ItoldYaSo

#itoldyaso, probably one of the most annoying lines on this site.

Reactions: WTG

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
okay i didn't read all of this tired narrative.

1 - a 4th round pick vs redemption project ... how the hell has this gone on for 38 pages. Both are long shots. Pedan for a 3rd is clearly a loss (in hindsight). Pedan and a 4th for DP is unknown. Reclemation projects seldom work, and neither do 4th rd picks. Pedan is so down the reclamation project argument to be non-relevant.

2 - not a fan of Benning but this is so - so move. The Hansen trade, Burrows trade, acquisition of Bear Cheese and Granlund light are more of the same. Trading aging veterans on a hopeless team for pie in the sky projects is probably smarter than keeping them.

3 - Chicago and Pitts both got very strong players from the draft. Crosby and Malkin, Kane and Toews. Our only comparables are veterans Dank and Hank. We need a fluke to get draft players like that. Edm got lucky and got four #1 OA and still had to wait for McJesus to make the team legit. Compare where we have drafted for the last 10+ years. And suggesting that finding golden nuggets in the later rounds is important is bullcrap. Its a fluke. god i get tired of the posters who cherry pick after the fact (i.e. after say .... 10th overall ... and say we should have taken .... Gaudreau). There are a few GM's who seem to have decent success but its pretty much a crap shoot. Not to say the Canucks have been anything other than either incompetent or unlucky.

Oh, and both Chi and Pitts had years of pining in the fjords. LA too. DET and STL managed to be annual contenders for years and years. DET won SC's - STL hasn't been to the finals in nearly 50 years.

Nomobo

Feb 20, 2015
Victoria
Umm what? It's not like we just barely missed the playoffs...it wasn't even close. We've had one of the worst teams in hockey the past two years. Or did you miss that?

Doesn't matter by how many points we missed by, there's no prize for finishing 17th. My point still stands.

1 - a 4th round pick vs redemption project ... how the hell has this gone on for 38 pages. Both are long shots. Pedan for a 3rd is clearly a loss (in hindsight). Pedan and a 4th for DP is unknown. Reclemation projects seldom work, and neither do 4th rd picks. Pedan is so down the reclamation project argument to be non-relevant.

2 - not a fan of Benning but this is so - so move. The Hansen trade, Burrows trade, acquisition of Bear Cheese and Granlund light are more of the same. Trading aging veterans on a hopeless team for pie in the sky projects is probably smarter than keeping them.

3 - Chicago and Pitts both got very strong players from the draft. Crosby and Malkin, Kane and Toews. Our only comparables are veterans Dank and Hank. We need a fluke to get draft players like that. Edm got lucky and got four #1 OA and still had to wait for McJesus to make the team legit. Compare where we have drafted for the last 10+ years. And suggesting that finding golden nuggets in the later rounds is important is bullcrap. Its a fluke. god i get tired of the posters who cherry pick after the fact (i.e. after say .... 10th overall ... and say we should have taken .... Gaudreau). There are a few GM's who seem to have decent success but its pretty much a crap shoot. Not to say the Canucks have been anything other than either incompetent or unlucky.

Oh, and both Chi and Pitts had years of pining in the fjords. LA too. DET and STL managed to be annual contenders for years and years. DET won SC's - STL hasn't been to the finals in nearly 50 years.

You're being too objective.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
Doesn't matter by how many points we missed by, there's no prize for finishing 17th. My point still stands.

Is a team that finishes 17th as bad as a team that finishes 29th? Does it subject its fans to an equal amount of good/bad hockey? Did Colorado fans have just as good time last year as Jets fans?

Nomobo

Feb 20, 2015
Victoria
Is a team that finishes 17th as bad as a team that finishes 29th? Does it subject its fans to an equal amount of good/bad hockey? Did Colorado fans have just as good time last year as Jets fans?

Go back and read the post he was responding to, then you'll get it.

Nick Lang

May 14, 2015

Extremely well said. People need to stop freaking out because the GM doesn't answer to them before making a move. This is very accurate, the impatient Benning detractors should take note.

Reactions: rune74

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
Extremely well said. People need to stop freaking out because the GM doesn't answer to them before making a move. This is very accurate, the impatient Benning detractors should take note.

Note taken! Thank you for straightening us out.

Pavel96

Apr 7, 2015
Haven't we been the worst team in the second half in both of the last two years? When the games get more competitive we get worse. But we looked pretty decent this preseason.

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
Note taken! Thank you for straightening us out.

great my analysis was appreciated and you take umbrage with it. Instead please explain what you disagree with in what I said.

My main point was that a 4th and Pedan for a reclamation project is pretty much break even. Reclamation projects seldom pan out, and neither do 4th round picks. Its a saw off.

Reactions: rune74

drax0s

Mar 18, 2014
Vancouver, BC.
So did the Canucks turn down your application or are you still in the interview process? Sounds like you're just the man to turn things around!

Reactions: Nomobo and rune74

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
great my analysis was appreciated and you take umbrage with it. Instead please explain what you disagree with in what I said.

My main point was that a 4th and Pedan for a reclamation project is pretty much break even. Reclamation projects seldom pan out, and neither do 4th round picks. Its a saw off.

Had no problem with your post. I just enjoyed being told by the other guy that some of us should “take note”. It was like my grade 3 teacher was showing us how magnets worked or something equally astounding. I wanted to show him my appreciation.

rune74

Oct 10, 2008
Had no problem with your post. I just enjoyed being told by the other guy that some of us should “take note”. It was like my grade 3 teacher was showing us how magnets worked or something equally astounding. I wanted to show him my appreciation.

There is a bit of hypocrisy going on here, I'm surprised you can't see it.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
There is a bit of hypocrisy going on here, I'm surprised you can't see it.

Ya? Please tell me all about it. It’s soooo fascinating to hear you, Lang, Krutov, and Bonose psychoanalyse all of the big bad Benning meanies around here. You guys are really giving us what for.

Reactions: Pip
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad